PDA

View Full Version : Re-chrome recommends.

scippy
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Got 4 clamshell vents to re-chrome. Anybody could recommend a place
with good satisfaction?

FISHIN SUCKS
09-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Not sure where you are located, but I had 8 vents done on our old Blackwidow by an outfit in Toledo, OH. $20.00/each, no pits in the vents, and turned out fantastic. If Toledo works for ya, I'll find the card and get you the info.

tom

silverghost
09-13-2011, 11:20 PM
TOM~

You need to tell us all about this Toledo Ohio plating outfit that will strip, polish, & plate these clamshell vents for only $20 each.

Plating prices are just insane here in the Penna area.
They use the EPA regulations to take advantage with regards to price .
In reality they have more business than they actully need, or want, from the car restorers & hotrod/streerod guys.
As a result they just charge what they want to do the least work for the most money.

gcarter
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
.....no chrome on the TR as it would cost a medium size fortune here in the Orlando area.
Instead, I had these parts and the rail powdercoated w/something called "crushed silver", and it sparkles in the sunlight.
It's pretty impressive. It's not "flat" like platinum, but really shiny.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63949&stc=1&d=1306264306

biggiefl
09-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Those are some quality scoops. When did Donzi "cheese out" and start using the crap ones like I have on my '94? I plan on buying SS ones for $22ea over the winter as mine are kinda pitted.

justleft
09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I have used Polished Treasures in Chesapeake City, MD (410) 885-2008. Don is a boat guy.

Don't think they will beat the $20 per !!

scippy
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I googled a few places (none of which are close to here in Jersey) the average quote seems to be $65 to $85 per.
justleft, I'll give them a call.........thanks

silverghost
09-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I have found that there is usually a small specialty plating shop in most areas that does small parts plating for the local custom motorcycle shops that will also do plating of small boat deck parts for very reasonable money.
These shops do not advertise, or have large yellowpage adverts.

Try calling some local custom cycle shops in your area to see who does their custom plating work.

If you can sand & buff-off the old plating & polish the parts yourself on a good buffer they are more than willing to tripple plate these small parts for you.
Any dings & nicks can be filled yourself with silversolder (Brazing) and buffed out.
Use 3M Wet or Dry sandpaper to easiy remove the old plating before buffing .

Most of these small shops are backroom operations that work under the radar.

Every city also usually has a large industrial production plater who does plating in large batches .
These folks are often willing to plate the part for you as a side job IF YOU do all the time consuming, old plating removal, surface preperation & polishing before you bring them your old parts.
They do want to spend a lot of time on surface prep on just a few old parts.

The platers that run the big ads in collector car mags, & tv shows on Speed TV are generally the shops that have these really crazy insane high plating prices.

Hope this helps ?

FISHIN SUCKS
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.superpages.com/bp/Toledo-OH/Als-Polishing-Shop-INC-L2052472633.htm?&lbp=1&PGID=yp416.8081.1316094058081.24212330060&TR=50&bidType=null

Here is the info of the place I used in 2007. I had 8 of them that had to be done (4 per side on the Blackwidow) and a couple of them had some guoges in them. He smoothed them out and dipped them, looked great. cant remember the owner's son's name that I dealt with, but all I can say is they took care of me. I had never dealt with them before, but would definitely recommend. hope this helps,

tom

biggiefl
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Shipping is cheap compared to the cost so it does not really matter where the place is. I also agree with silverghost, many shops around here that do that kinda stuff. I usually find it is cheaper or close to it to buy new so I have never had anything replated but on these older boats, new is NOT an option.

scippy
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Tom,

Spoke with them today & will send them out. amazing price!..............Thanks to all for your help

FISHIN SUCKS
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

that's what I ran into too, I couldnt find the same exact vents that I needed, so replating was my only option.

zzzzzz
09-19-2011, 07:36 AM
New England Chrome Plating. East Hartford CT. Contact Dean or Patty. Best your going to find and reasonable too.

younger
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
That's a deal! I made some custom harley parts for my deluxe and it cost a couple hundred. These parts were not that large. Chroming is a volitile job, and labour intensive. I use a guy in Ottawa, Can. if your guy is this cheap and work is good I'll be shipping.

smidgen too
09-22-2011, 10:30 PM
[scippy,,, Spoke with them today & will send them out. amazing price!..............Thanks to all for your help]

I ask the guys on the Ohio GLO site about this place, this was there reply.

[They have been around for a long long time.....probably 50 years.

Always did good work.

George was the founder

Al was his son that took over

Rick and Cris are Al's sons who claim http://www.greatlakesoffshore.com/greatlakesoffshore/images/smilies/wink.gif to run it today.

They will do you right ]

Looks like I will take the 85 mile drive down there from Michigan to have them rechrome my Mag & Donzi parts. Mark

scippy
09-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Mark, It's great to hear they come highly recommended. Considering all the weight in deck hardware you'd have to ship,
I'd definetly make the 1-1/2 hour run to drop things off................Rick said, $20 to $25 per clamshell. That's a 1/3 less
than anybody else!!

scippy
10-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Today I received the 4 clamshells back (with few other things) from Al's polishing shop in Toledo
Very happy with the results and the price!.......6815468155 Thanks for the recommend Tom (FISHIN SUCKS)

FISHIN SUCKS
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM

You say 'Good Quality, Great Bagain', did they not turn out so great:confused:? Hope you werent too disappointed. some of mine were rough and they turned out better than I expected. They look great Scippy!!! Happy to be of help, always there for my Donzi Brethren:yes:.

silverghost
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Miami Plater~

I just got off the phone with a guy who restores old wood & fiberglass boats that is interested in buying an old Ford/Lehman marined flathead V-8 60 engine that has been cluttering-up my storage garage for many years.

He told me about a great low-cost re-plater in the Miami Florida area called

Sunshine Plating.

He said this is a very small mom & pop plating outfit that does super chrome, & nickel, etc. re- plating for about 1/3 of what other typical larger platers charge.
The turn-around time is said to be usually less than one week also.

If you are in the Miami Florida. area you might want to check-them-out for your old boat deck & rigging hardware re-plating.

I have never used this plater myself however.

f_inscreenname
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Sending my 2 vents from the Monza Project out to Rick (Tom's guy) tomorrow. Almost sounds to good to be true. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Pete / Scippy .........everything l@@ks great, and when you are hitting or reaching speeds around the triple digit mark in the ole Mag .......you will never see how nice the chrome really l@@ks .......................:wink::cool!:

scippy
12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Artie,

I won't be that fast, but it'll look nice-n-shinny original.........Thought I was all done
til spring for the capping but 2 days now in the 60's got me back on it...looking good.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Keep us posted how yours turn out. are ya gonna do some 'before' and 'after' pictures for us to see?

scippy
12-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Fixx,

Interesting set up!...............now you have to tell us all about it.

scippy
12-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Fixx,

That is a fantastic use of a "free fuel" ................Most people (me included) pile up a good amount of spent oil.
Getting rid of it becomes a hassle (trip to the town recyle drop off) especially when it accumulates to many gals.
I would not have guessed that!.....My experiece with propane was costly. Fact that my building (20X40) is not
insulated really hammered me.....$75 per 100 lb. tank of propane lasted me one week while working on the Mag.
You can see why I now choose to wait for spring:nilly:.............Is there any residual ordor?...are you insulated?
Any drawbacks at all?.......................Seems a great alternative!

f_inscreenname
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!
About a 10 day turn around and that's with Christmas and New Year's inbetween. I was going to call and see if it actually arrived today at their shop. But they were done and in my mailbox. For 60 bucks total. They have a new lifetime customer. I'll be sending some logos to them for boat I'm doing in the spring as soon as I get to the post office.

FISHIN SUCKS
01-06-2012, 06:00 AM
SWEEET! Great before and afters 'f'!!

pipnit
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Just spoke with Rick at Al's Polishing in Toledo. Nice guy! I just sent off EVERY piece of chrome hardware on the Orange Whip. Can't wait! :propeller:

smidgen too
02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm getting a box of parts ready from my Donzi & Magnum to take to Al's in Toledo. Has any one sent them a pop up gas cap ? I was wondering if I have to disassemble the split pins & springs or can they rechorme it all together, don't want to break anything unnecessarily.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Mark,
I am almost positive that you would be better off having the parts separated for chroming. Bill

smidgen too
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks Bill I kinda thought that. Because the caps came of a salt water boat I'm just a little worried.:boggled: Mark

pipnit
02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
anyone want to guess what the estimate is going to be? Every piece of chrome off a '76 2+3. I think it's 36 pieces all together.

pipnit
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
$540 for everything on the boat less my exhaust tips which are new.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
at $15 for each item, that sounds more than reasonable. what kind of shape were the pieces in? is it a bunch of little stuff or are there some big items in there? from my original experience and, so far, everyone elses, you shouldnt be disappointed in the quality and time frame.

tom

silverghost
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
:wink: This just goes to show you that all those crazy high-priced & well known, plating outfits that have adverts in all the automotive publications, TV shows, & auto websites are just ripping-you-off.:anchor:
They have more business than they really want, or need~~~so they charge you an arm & a leg~~~ as I had stated here on this forum before.

It nice to hear that there are still great small plating shops around that charge very fair money for their re-plating & polishng services.

scippy
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
That is so true!.......you don't have to pay over 5 times the cost for the very same thing to be equally satisfied.

pipnit
02-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Tom, it was for every part off of a '76 2+3. The parts were original and decent but the weak link in a long term sympathetic restoration. There are a couple of hand rails which are stainless and he polished those up. They called me yesterday and I assumed it was because parts were done and they needed payment. I called and I was right, the parts were done. Rick said they were boxed up and on their way. I asked if they wanted a CC number and they just said, na... there's an invoice in the box. Man was that a breath of fresh air.

The also do, brass, gold, nickel, etc.

www.alspolishing.com

I'll take pics when the parts arrive!

f_inscreenname
02-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Rick said they were boxed up and on their way. I asked if they wanted a CC number and they just said, na... there's an invoice in the box.

I was going to mention that but didn't want to do to maybe someone bad reading it, getting work done and then ripping them off by not paying. Here's to hoping everyone that reads this is honest enough to pay the bill.:crossfing: I would hate to see that little piece of old school trust be lost.

FitchPowerboatServices
09-15-2018, 09:27 AM
I know this is an old thread but are any of you still using these guys in Ohio ?

f_inscreenname
09-15-2018, 06:13 PM
I know this is an old thread but are any of you still using these guys in Ohio ?

I did last year for all the chrome off a 16.

FitchPowerboatServices
09-16-2018, 08:45 AM
I did last year for all the chrome off a 16.

Ok cool thanks

FitchPowerboatServices
02-10-2019, 07:51 AM
We ended up sending the parts off of our 22 to Al’s polishing shop and I figured we would give an update. We spoke with rick before shipping and he said about a 3 week turnaround time. He was on the mark and a few days short of 3 weeks later we had the parts back. Problem was that they had buffed through the chrome on 5 of the pieces and packed them terribly. We called rick and he said no problem ship the pieces back and we will fix them so we sent the stuff and his check from round 1 the next day. He had the parts for almost 2 months and hadn’t answered the phone for the last 3 weeks. We were in a bad spot because he had the hinges for the engine hatch and we needed to install the hatch so the painter could lay out the stripe. While trying to figure out what to do the parts showed up. The stuff still isn’t perfect by any means and some parts need to be redone. The hatch hinge is buffed through again and is peeling on the lower edge. I just wanted to update you guys before sending parts away that are very hard to replace.

f_inscreenname
02-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Not like I remember, thanks for the update.