PDA

View Full Version : My first time out in the new (to me) 16 Classic

Perfect16
09-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Well.....I finally had a chance to take the new boat out yesterday for the first time and it was pretty awesome!
(99, 16 Classic w/5.0 and Alpha Drive).

Amazing how quickly this little boat came up on plane with the trim tabs down but getting used to the "Joystick" controller.....that definitely takes some getting used to!!

In any case I finally got the hang of it but driving the 16 is certainly sensitive and needs small corrections only and not drastic maneuvers like the larger boats I have driven so a little "Wheel" time is likely all that is needed here!

In any case the boat was great with ~2' chop and 10 MPH winds seeing to like `45MPH best in those conditions with a high speed run to 55'ish. All in all everything I had wanted and expected from this little boat!

The only down side was when we got back to the house we realized that the bottom rear cushion blew out of the boat on one of the high speed runs.....SUCKS!!! Well I guess I'll be ordering a replacement from DonziDirect.com!!

Good news is that there are only 2 of us in the boat at any time so waiting for 4 weeks for a replacement won;t slow us down, guess I'll be making sure the snaps are connected in the future!

Cheers!
Paul

Carl C
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
That's a common problem. In my 22 if a seat back cushion comes off it ends up on the floor of the boat and stays there!

gcarter
09-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Sounds likke a nice boat!

EVERYTHING blows out of a 16 or 18! LOL

Conquistador_del_mar
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Paul,
It sounds like you are hooked like many of the rest of us. If you know the wind direction from yesterday, why not search the banks before ordering a new seat? That back seat should not sink. Bill

Perfect16
09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Yup?....we drove around for at least an hour looking for it. Havasu is a very busy lake and we were near the middle.....more likely another boat stopped to pick it up and didn't know where it came from so no one would get hurt running it over. It might turn up but not likely.

Cheers

Conquistador_del_mar
09-11-2011, 05:51 PM
In that case, you might check your local craigslist for a week or so along with any large marina near where you lost it. I'll bet someone has it, but finding the owner might be a problem. Just a thought. Bill

Kirbyvv
09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I put industrial velco on the base of my rear seat cushion. Never lost one, but it was on it's way.

Perfect16
09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Yup....I was thinking of the Industrial Velro but the issue here at Havasu is that is often (in the summer) gets to 120 degrees and the glue just melts so Snaps it will need to be......I think my wife just threw the cushion back without snapping it in.

Cheers!