PDA

View Full Version : GM Alternator question

Lowflyn
09-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Does anyone recognize this alternator? Not sure if it's wired correctly - no part number to be found on it.

mrfixxall
09-10-2011, 12:02 PM
the mfr is prestolite,,usually the back of the alternator is marked where what wire goes..

mrfixxall
09-10-2011, 12:05 PM
the mfr is prestolite,,usually the back of the alternator is marked where what wire goes..'

http://www.prestolite.com/productinfo/alternators/8MR2070TA/8MR2070TA_wiring.jpg

Lowflyn
09-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Thank You Mr Fixx

After scapping years of paint off - I finally was able to read the markings as you have indicated. All looks good except the one AC connection was running to the Holley elect choke..???

As I have read - that choke requires 12v DC - not a minor AC sensing source????

The choke has never operated properly - never full open - either full closed or maybe 1/2 open - I jumpered 12v DC to it out of curiousity - and in a mater of 3 minutes - fully opened - U can see it open\move....

I believe this is a performance issue ;)

This is why I'm digging in to everything... including - added a fuel pressure gage at the carb - this pump is maxed @2.8 - the Holley requires 7 to 9 psi.... I'll fix that latter

Right now.... after repairing and still looking for what ever other wiring problems - I still need to fire this new 502 ...
At least then -

From the Heart Beat of a GM engine - Will come modivation !!

Again Thanks

Ken