PDA

View Full Version : Made The Move To Donzi

firstoffshore
09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I just purchased a 2008 22 Classic 496 Mag HO and will continue my boating lifestyle under the Donzi brand.

Had the chance to experience the boat for the first time last weekend at Norris Lake in TN. After many decades of performance boating experience, it was absolutely a blast to drive. Much more of a "driver's" boat than the three Formula FASTechs (382, 312 and 292) two Concept PRs (36 and 27) and American Offshore (26) that I have owned.

This forum has been a great source of information already. Looking forward to getting to know the members on this board.

Kirbyvv
09-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Welcome aboard!

roadtrip se
09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Congrats and welcome. I ran several offshores, before buying a 22, and I don't miss any of them all that much.

Just as an FYI, one of the largest Donzi gatherings in the country is held every year in your back yard. AOTH, or
The Awakening of the Horses, is held the weekend before Memorial Day at Jamestown Resort on Lake Cumberland.

Mark your calendar and plan on the weekend. You will see some pretty impressive hardware and get to run with
many like-minded folks, at a run that has been going on for over decade. Looking forward to meeting you.

firstoffshore
09-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks. Spoke to Itllfli last night and he was telling me about the event at Lake Cumberland. I can't wait until next year. Sounds like an incredible gathering.

biggiefl
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I just bought one 3 weeks ago. It is a weird learning curve but one worth taking. I love it, like driving a racing Go-Kart with a suspension. Sarasota, FL is haveing a huge event in October, not too far to trailer.

Carl C
09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Forget almost everything you've learned about driving a boat before now! Yup, they're driver's boats and that's why we love driving them! :)

firstoffshore
09-09-2011, 04:49 PM
biggiefl,

What is going on in FL? I just got back from FL; that is where I picked up the boat (Sanford, FL). Traded a classic Boston Whaler 18 Outrage and headed back to Ohio. Maybe I should have left it down there until the event. Unfortunately, I am out of vacation this year. Is it an annual event?

Carl C,

Definately a lot more exciting and fun than most of what I've experienced. I feel like I've taken up aviation...it is more like flying than boating. Not as fast as what I am used to, but there will be time for that in future years after the 496 is repowered.

Here is a picture of my former ride...Formula FASTech 382 F2 Kevlar race boat on the Chesapeake Bay.

Ghost
09-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the board.

Mike

Donzi Vol
09-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the board here and Donzi's in general. I'm rather certain that you're going to be having some fun.

Now, tell me how you came about getting in a Donzi on Norris. I'm only about 20 minutes from Norris. There are a few others guys in the Knoxville area as well. Are you in Knox, or were you just checking out a boat on Norris?

All the best,
David

firstoffshore
09-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Donzi Vol,

I bought the Donzi last Thursday in FL and towed it back to TN. I rented a condo at Norris for the holiday weekend (Waterside) and took the maiden voyage at your lake. I headed back to my home in Cincinnati on Monday.

Let me know if you guys every have a Donzi gathering at Norris. I'll be there. Norris is perfect place for our boats. I frequent Norris, Lake Cumberland and the Ohio River.

firstoffshore
09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Carl C and Ghost,

Are you guys from Michigan? I used to live in Harrison Township on Lake St. Clair in 2002.

Ghost
09-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Carl is. I went to school there but live in Annapolis, MD. -Mike

Carl C
09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
firstoffshore, (quote function broke) Yes, I am from Michigan and boat a lot on Lake St. Clair and runs to PIB which is near you. We also like to run up to Lake Huron. I will be out Monday and PIB is not out of the question. Let me know if you want to hook up sometime. Feel free to call 248-330-0048.

RedDog
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

welcome to the club!

I get to Norris occasionally. It's not too far from me so if you come back be sure to contact DonziVol or me

firstoffshore
09-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Will do RedDog...Thanks

Donzi Vol
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ditto RedDog. Let us know if you're around. We try to hit the water regularly during the season.

I'm really familiar with Waterside. I grew up on Norris, and spent the majority of my summers in college boating, skiing, etc in that area. I've never stayed at the new condos, but they seem really nice. In a cove just around the corner (hang a left out of the no wake zone) is where I sank my first boat (not a Donzi, thank goodness!). We have some friends with a lakehouse over there and we think a storm rocked it over and capsized it one night. We retreived it, but it was never the same. Fortunately I only had about $500 in the whole thing, but that was a pretty large investment for a college kid! Last I heard, the last remaining owner in the partnership sold it to a guy who lived in a van. Not sure what he needed with a 14' motor-less fishing boat, but I suppose he had something figured out. But I digress...

firstoffshore
09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Donzi Vol,

Sorry to hear about your loss while in college. $500 was a big deal back then. I had to sell my MG during college because I could not afford to replace the clutch.

I will definately let you guys know when I am heading to Norris.

My first trip out next season will be to Lake Cumberland to the AOTH event in Jamestown, KY. Just made reservations today. Are you guys coming up for the gathering in May?

Donzi Vol
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Cool...glad you're coming to AOTH. Barring anything crazy, I plan to be there.

Hotspare
09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
firstoffshore.

Your enthusiasm is a little to contagious, I gotta chime in .... Lol...
First of all, Congrats on the classic, it's definitely a drivers boat and sounds like that's what your looking for ....... With the impressive list of hardware you've owned I'd have to say you've really been bit ...... AOTH is a must then, it is the Mecca, check out Todd and Byron, they'll steer you right ...... Rock on ....

firstoffshore
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tip Hotspare. Will do...