PDA

View Full Version : bh on a27zx

craigdskilling
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
My friend just bought a 27zx with a 502 mpi pushing 600hp and was wondering if he can put a bh on the boat.I have a 18 with a bh so he would like to see if would help the boat or not.I said no do to the step hull,but not sure.the boat is 1998.I think a shorty would be better but i thought i would ask the smarter guys.:)thanks craig.

mrfixxall
09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

back in that year rand scaarab p29 had twin 502's with twin black hawk drives,,with the x dimention being a little higher on that boat it jumped on plane with no problems,,have him try yours..

MOP
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
IMO a single engine with a BH on a fairly heavy boat will be disappointing and possibly expensive, loosing the ability to trim will not help speed wise all deep V's need a fair amount of trim. Another point unless he is a very good throttle man he will take out the upper and or the vertical shaft early on getting air, he will loose his ability to run in a decent chop the BH airs out way before a longer leg. No question several boat makers put BH"s on 20+ft boats the drive died an early death due to too many blowing. Common knowledge quite a few of the 22 BH owners keep a spare drive, a much lighter boat and I believe most are stock that should tell you something.

Phil

craigdskilling
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
didn't see that coming.great idea.thanks.

The Hedgehog
09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
The biggest question is it a step hull or not. I had a 27ZX non-step and Tex has a 27ZX step. The boats were a few vin's apart.

If it is a non-step, then no way. Mine did not even like the shorty.

If it is a step then it is still doubtful. It has been tried on a 26ZX and that boat hated it.

That does not mean don't try it. A number of the boats seem to have different layups and weight. There are some other subtle differences (ie strakes).

roadtrip se
09-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I spent quite a bit of time talking to a guy on the docks at Jamestown last weekend about his efforts to make a BH work on his 28 powered by a 500 EFI.
He tried several prop sizes, labbing and balancing, and power up to 700HP.

It wasn't sucessful. His theory was that the drive was just too high in the water.