PDA

View Full Version : How does one run their tabs at speed?

biggiefl
09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I have a stock 22C with a 330hp? B1 and I usually run it with tabs all the way up and trim to where it does not porpoise. Should I be be running the tabs down a bit and the trim up? I am not talking fast, I am talking 35-40mph cruise at say 3-3200rpm. when in rougher stuff I blip the tabs down some but I really don't use them...should I be using them more other than for stabilizing left to right yawl?

mrfixxall
09-07-2011, 09:05 PM
goin wot all the way up,,45-60 mph about 1/4 tab

biggiefl
09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok...what about @ 35?

mrfixxall
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

seems i have no trim at all (older volvo with the pin) the slower i go the further in the water the tabs will go,,usually between 25 and 35 they are 1/2 way in the water..im also running a 8 x 12 twin ram sport tab.

biggiefl
09-08-2011, 04:54 AM
I have the standard 8 or 9x12 single ram dual switch w/no indicators.

Carl C
09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
A little port tab to level the boat when planing or running slower speeds. My pre-planing procedure: drive fully down, all passengers secure and ready, engine hatch latched, gear stowed, lanyard on, life jackets on when deemed necessary, DROP PORT TAB FOR 4-5 SECONDS (dual ram). Normal running I need a little port tab to keep the boat level. Faster runs allow me to raise the tab as I increase drive trim. When running rough water fast I drop both tabs to keep the boat running flat. All with stock Bennett's, no k-planes needed.

oledawg
09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
What Carl C said...

biggiefl
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah I find I need a tad more port tab even in smooth water. I have been playing around with adding more trim and more tab but it seems to X itself out and nothing is gained or loss. In other words I was hoping to find if I trimmed it higher and gave it say 1/3 tab it would do 38mph instead of 36 where it is just trimmed to where it does not porpoise and no tab but NO such luck. I like to run a flat wake but in order to do that at 35-40 she will porpoise so hence why I was messing around. I have always found that a flater wake means optimum efficiency but I guess not in my case. What I mean by a flat wake is look at your wake fully trimmed in it is like a "V" going aft. When you trim up and get the hull as high out of the water as possible it flattens out to more of a "l l" pattern and is smaller.

oledawg
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
What I have found is that the prop makes a huge difference in porpoising. With my 23P labbed prop I get a lot of "sketchynes", ie porpoising, but on the other end, with my 27P Mirage all is totally stable regardless of the speed. I am running a 26P Mirage + now which seems to get the most speed with the most stability. I only use the tabs when getting up to plane and when cruising at 35 - 50, after that, no tabs...

biggiefl
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't need the tabs to get on step. With 4 people and a full tank she comes on plane without even kicking in the 4 barrels....floored I think I am on plane in about 50'. This boat is an animal and hence my other post that she might not be stock hp or my prop might not be big enough.

biggiefl
09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't need the tabs to get on step. With 4 people and a full tank she comes on plane without even kicking in the 4 barrels....floored I think I am on plane in about 50'. This boat is an animal and hence my other post that she might not be stock hp or my prop might not be big enough.

GeneD
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Before every race, we would adjust the tabs to be absolutely parrallel with the bottom of the hull.
After that, the throttle man would never touch it again.