PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a Raylar kit?

RockyS18
09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I've been looking online but I can't seem to find one... I'm interested in the 103 or the 106. Depends on the pricing once I see them haha

mrfixxall
09-06-2011, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

leave it alone,,play with props first..the raylar kit will only be=rake the engine faster,the engine has chit internals and will only brake..

http://www.raylarengine.com/kits.html

another option,,http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthread.php?t=18783

undertaker
09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Rocky send Mick (Hot Shot) on this site a PM, he installed a Raylar kit on his 22 and he will tell you what his opinions are with the kit....he is also a great guy to talk you..very cool...

There is another member here also that installed a Raylor kit Titan is his screen name send him a PM also, he doesn't get on the site a whole lot...

I have talked to both these guys and they were a big help with my thought process on future upgrades....

Undertaker

silverghost
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
You really need to read Yeller's 496 HO thread on the forum here, or better yet contact him.
He just got burned BIG time dealing with Raylar, and buying upgrade kit parts from Raylar for his 496 HO that were incorrect, & some that were never ever sent; yet he was still charged for them.
He spent big money shipping the incorrect parts into Canada.
In the end Yeller lost big money and his engine is now still apart without any upgrade kit parts.
He is now looking for another engine.
Use extreme caution when dealing with Raylar.

RockyS18
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
So pretty much I should get a 525 efi or don't do anything?

yeller
09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Silverghost, thank you for your concern, but please don't comment on my behalf.

There were wrong and missing parts in my order, but I do not feel the need to slam Ray because of it. That is the risk of buying out of town. I accept his apology for the misunderstanding.

Yes, some wrong parts were sent. Ray offered to exchange them no charge, no shipping costs. The cam was missed in the shipment, but Ray would have got one to me asap if I wanted it.

Ray offered to take all the parts back. I did not have to request it. I decided to take him up on his offer because I decided not to continue with my motor.

Ray sent the parts to where I requested. I told Ray that getting the parts into Canada would be my responsibility so I do not feel it is his responsibility to get them back into the US. Ray has offered to cover all the shipping costs from my shipper in the US to his shop. If I had asked, I am pretty sure Ray would have covered the costs from Canada.

I was very disappointed to get an incorrect order, but after my initial anger subsided and I am able to look at the situation calmly, Ray has been offering (and doing) everything to make it right. If I end up with charges on my Visa, then I will be upset with him, but up to this point Ray has been good to deal with.

yeller
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Rocky, I believe the only place you can buy a Raylar kit is from raylarengine.com.

I boat with Titan (on this site), and as far as I know he is happy with the Raylar kit. At least he hasn't said anything different to me. Send him a PM. He's not on here often as of late, but I'm sure he will get back to you next time he is here.

Carl C
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE]So pretty much I should get a 525 efi or don't do anything?[/QUOTE]

:hyper::):):):):):shades::):):):):):hyper:

silverghost
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeller~
I hope Raylar resolves all your problem issues without any out of pocket money on your behalf .

Shipping the incorrect parts, and having items missing from an order, is a very unprofessional way to do business in my opinion.
Especially with all the costs involved with getting the parts through customs and into Canada.

You are far more forgiving than I would be under these conditions.

undertaker
09-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Rocky what exactly are your goals, just more speed, better handling? There are a lot of guys running more HP in these boats and I can hook you up with them for some advice and there take on bigger HP.....

Let me know if I can help you..

Undertaker

PS Not all the guys that I am talking about frequent this site....FYI

RockyS18
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Rocky, I believe the only place you can buy a Raylar kit is from raylarengine.com.

I boat with Titan (on this site), and as far as I know he is happy with the Raylar kit. At least he hasn't said anything different to me. Send him a PM. He's not on here often as of late, but I'm sure he will get back to you next time he is here.

I just sent Raylar an email regarding pricing, and I am going to contact Titan next (although he hasn't been on for a month). Thanks for your help.

And undertaker, I was really interested in some acceleration and top speed. I would worry about handling after I increase this as my boat's feel and handling would probably change after some serious upgrades I would think.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far :):)

roadtrip se
09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Time you get done with messing around with the Raylar stuff and getting it right, which will take time and resources, not to mention create several character
building experiences for you, you could have done one of two things that will get you there quicker:

1) Sell your 496 as a take-out and buy a gently used blue motor.

Or:

2) Sell your 496 and acquire a custom motor that will really run from a custom engine builder.

Either way, don't forget about the other enhancements that need to be done with more power in these boats. Fiberglass reinforcement of the bilge and stringers, an engine cradle or at least solid offshore mounts, steering to the helm if you don't have it, and a complete going through of the rigging components front to back.

All good and good luck to you.

RockyS18
09-08-2011, 06:48 PM
So, which companies are your favorite custom engine builders? There's quite a few out there so some feedback from others would help. I just want to see my options

roadtrip se
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I landed on Ron Potter at Potter Performance. He has a great reputation in the industry for building long lasting high performance marine engines.
He has worked with Innovation and started the Nortech engine program, before striking out on his own. I specifically wanted someone that could work with and tune my existing blue motor set-up and accessories inhouse, which limited my choices. Ron also has the time to answer his phone, answer your questions,
and work with you to make you happy with your set-up. A lot of guys that I shopped couldn't even be bothered to return calls before the sale, so I questioned what their support would be like afterwards. Ron ain't cheap, some times you aren't always going to like what he has to say, but he is a straight shooter and does what he says he is going to do. I like that.

RockyS18
09-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Well, I've been back and forth with Ray @ Raylar and I am going to get the 103 kit with an upgraded ECM giving me roughly 550 HP. Buying a blue motor is too expensive, and doing this upgrade myself will save me around $2000 instead of getting a shop to do it. (I have a lot of engine building experience) This seems to be a good cost effective option.

Anyway, since I'm adding all this extra HP, what kind of upgrades am I going to need to make to the boat to support this extra power? Also, should I upgrade to an Imco drive? If so, which one since I know nothing about the Imcos.

Thanks
EJ

Phil S
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Phil S
09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
That would be RoadtripSE...half to 3/4 throttle if I had to guess...carrying at least another 10 to 50 lbs of sand ! :) Awesome machine. I hope he never gets tired of preaching to the choir of safety, set-up..then speed.

Lousy video, granted, but I hope the point comes through.

With kind regards,

Phil S.

RockyS18
09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
My computer is being stupid and I can't view the video. But anyway, I already have full hydraulic steering, as well as a Bravo 1 X drive not a regular Bravo.

Phil S
09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Probably "on-line" anywhere...what's your question otherwise ?

Phil S.

The Hedgehog
09-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Drives....here is my take. Get a stock XR and IMCO lower. Run it a while and when it comes time to rebuild, go with the Max Upper Vertical shaft.

I would spend the extra money that some spend on a big casing (ie IMCO upper, Max) toward your first rebuild. You could put a titanium case on it but it still has Merc gears on the inside. Just ask Tex. He has that important looking upper cases. It did not stop those upper gears from blowing apart in the slightest.

A billet top case is nice as well but remember, it is all in the gears and shafts (that is what she said). And setup.

Don't get me wrong, I would take an IMCO upper or Max for the right deal, but I would not pay their asking price.

osur866
09-29-2011, 12:20 AM
How many hrs on the b1X, and gear ratio? I could be interested In the upper if you need to sell keep me in mind ;)

CaribouLou
09-29-2011, 01:04 AM
A friend with a 25 Eliminator Daytona has blown up 3 Raylar built motors in the past 2 years.....was running close to 125mph though, so they had a ton of power, until they blew up.

RickSE
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
You'll be fine with the B1X. As long as you take care of it it'll last a long time. I have 280-hours on my regular B1 behind a 500EFI with a raised X-Dim. I've hammered on mine pretty hard through the years and haven't had any issues. I always change my drive lube at 20-hours.

Carl C
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE]Cool,,ask carl c how long his bravo one x drive laster with a 525,,i think it was like a afternoon lol[/QUOTE]

About 7 or 8 hours :P. That kit retains the stock pistons and internals. The 550 hp is measured at the crankshaft and only with long tube headers. Figure another $5,000 for exhaust and keep some money handy for a Bravo XR and maybe a new shortblock.....:nilly:

Ghost
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
As an aside, Carl has said he enjoys punching the throttle and pinning everyone back in the seats. I'm curious how much life (beyond 7 or 8 hours) one might get out of the drive with a blue motor, if all your acceleration was slow, smooth and gentle. I don't know, but I'm guessing it would do a lot better.

GBond
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I've heard/witnessed both ends of the spectrum on drives holding up to high HP. It's basically a crap shoot.

Of course some moderation and basic maintenance are a must.

Stay away Mr Jinx!

RickSE
09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Ghost,

As I stated above my standard B1 drive has 280-hours on it behind the 500EFI in my 22SE. We run our boat pretty hard and I've never had an issue with the drive. Last year we ran a 40-mile poker run at or close to WOT for the entire event. Just after I got our boat I called Donzi and talked to Josh, asking why the boat did not come with a XR drive. Josh said, "the boat is light, doesn't need it and the XR would only slow the boat down". From my experience the B1 will survive behind a 22C with 500-550 HP.

Carl C
09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE]As an aside, Carl has said he enjoys punching the throttle and pinning everyone back in the seats. I'm curious how much life (beyond 7 or 8 hours) one might get out of the drive with a blue motor, if all your acceleration was slow, smooth and gentle. I don't know, but I'm guessing it would do a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Now what fun would that be? :lookaroun: