PDA

View Full Version : Drive Oil Reservoir

zzzzzz
09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Quick question. The hose going from the drive oil reservoir to the back of drive housing has been rubbing on the shaft and has worn a hole in it resulting in the oil leaking in the bilge.

1) Can I continue to use the boat the way it is before it get's put away for the winter? I assume the drive is full. Some unit's don't even have the reservoir at all.
2) Concidering I can't see the hose end, is it a barbed end with a hose clamp? or some other arraingment?
It's a 05 22 classic 496 HO Thanks for any help you could provide

Dr. David Fleming
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe that a low reservoir oil level will trigger a warning alarm just like overheating or low oil pressure.

It should be fairly easy to cut the hose and insert a small barb fitting or even a small section of tubing then clamp the hose. You could just tie a small section of wire around the hose repair to function as a clamp. Zip lock ties will work.

I would not run without the oil reservoir as this is critical item for an expensive assembly and it supplies any losses to the drive. Mercruiser speedometer tube barb fitting will work and should be available about everywhere.

MOP
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Most all marine supply house have Merc Net, you can get the exact hose! Change it out, only takes about 15 minutes!

Phil

zzzzzz
09-06-2011, 05:28 AM
It is alarmed. Thanks for the info. I'll fix it this w/e.

mrfixxall
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
it will keep leaking until the upper is dry,,fix it asap..