PDA

View Full Version : 23 Offshore Stringer Question

Greg Guimond
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The weather turned lousy so I decided to put the Warlock in the garage and start the "to do" list. There has been a lot of "to do's" this season to say the least. I pulled the seats out and started to eyeball things and I'm kinda stumped by what I saw. I always assumed that stringers ran full length, but it looks like because the boat is OB that there are two mini stringers terminating into a bulkhead. The mini stringers are 8" high and 2" thick. Does this mean that I may have gotten lucky if they need to be replaced because the remaining hull stringers (on the opposite side of the bulkhead) may not have gotten soft?

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Greg for outboard applications it is very common to add knee's to the transom to inprove structural intergrity .(beef) Greg , not to be rude but ........from the looks of things in your pics it kinda looks like there just might be more going on then you think , and until you really start poking around , and or... maybe drilling into those area's with a small bit to see if the wood is wet or dry........ along with checking for delamination ...........which should help to give you somewhat of a better idea on what is really going on for starters .

Greg Guimond
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I am going to run a moisture meter all over the transom. I ran the little one, with the two probes, but I'm told there are more sophisticated meters so I am going that route. I was, surprised to see that the hull was built with "shorty" stringers between the transom and that bulkhead. It may be as easy as knocking out those shorty's and reglassing to the hull.