PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta power steering - donation to Donzi.net

Conquistador_del_mar
09-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I would like to sell this power steering setup for an older Volvo Penta as a donation to this site. This unit came off a 280 drive, but I think it also works with the 250 and 270. The best offer over $100 within the next 7 days will be accepted. It is fairly heavy so count on $30 shipping to anywhere in the continental US. You can reach me at: Dgill25960@aol.com Thanks, Bill

Kirbyvv
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I added one of these units to my 280 volvo and it was about the best upgrade I've done. You can actually let go of the steering wheel at speed, no steering torque. It is a cable actuated power steering unit. It's a bolt on, using your existing cable. the only thing you need to add is a GM power steering pump. Someone should jump on this.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Sold pending the funds. Bill

badbird
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Bill,payment sent via paypal.

badbird
09-15-2011, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Hey Kirby,how it going,finely heard from John B,hope to be picking up the donzi in a few weeks.
If you have any info or pics on the steering that you could pass on I would greatly appreciate it.
I know i will have to find a gm pump an maybe a new pulley to run it.

Thanks

Neil

Just Say N20
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I added one of these units to my 280 volvo and it was about the best upgrade i've done. You can actually let go of the steering wheel at speed, no steering torque. It is a cable actuated power steering unit. It's a bolt on, using your existing cable. The only thing you need to add is a gm power steering pump. Someone should jump on this.

test. SUCCESS!

Kirbyvv
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM

This isn't mine , but is the same set up. It should bolt right up to the inner transom assembly, assuming it has the bracket.

mattyboy
10-21-2011, 02:56 PM
a word of caution depending on what type of rear lift ring bracket you have there may be a clearance issue. as seen in Kirby's pic the lift ring bracket on this boat is different from most early volvo classics. which had an inverted "Y" type bracket or the flat bracket that mounted to the transom. this upgrade was done to my 68 and the lift ring bracket was removed. on mine there was a steel bracket that mounted to the transom covering the light connections, the two vertical bolts directly below the stern light are seen remaining on the transom. the ring had a threaded rod which went thru the bracket and held by a nylock nut.

that said it is a very wise upgrade to a AQ volvo

maddad
10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
It will also need a later transom shield that has the pivot point above the water inlet. The one with orange vs. the one with blue.

badbird
10-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

This is what I have...by looking at the pics that were sent in,they have a cable coming in from the right side of the boat....mine comes in from the left and looks to be a different type of cable?
my boat is left hand drive....so I'm wondering is there a unit for right hand and one for left hand drive.
Also looks like different linkage off the drive.When I look at the pic of the one I have it doesn't look like it has the spot for the cable to screw into...confused!

Thanks and keep the info coming and if anyone has more pics, please share.pump and bracket would be great.

badbird
10-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Maddad
Not sure what you mean....It will also need a later transom shield that has the pivot point above the water inlet

could you fill me in on this a little more.

Thx

Neil

mattyboy
10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
bad

it looks as if you have the 280 transom shield with the pivot point that would be the hole right above the water inlet. it looks as if your boat was a 250 or a 270 as original , the steering yolk and cable connection is the older style.

the steering cable will need to be addressed as the cable will need to come from the starboard side not the port like yours. if you look at the first pic maddad posted you'll see the bottom of his lift ring bracket in the upper left hand corner.

mattyboy
10-21-2011, 09:21 PM
bad in your pic the 280 pivot point in red and the old 250 270 steering connection in green

in maddad's pic the bottom what i think is the bottom of the lift ring bracket in red

maddad
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Bad, here's a better pic of an older one. You can see there's no pivot point or bracket mounting area for Volvo power steering setup. You don't need to worry because yours has them. Even though I put a later one on my boat, you can see how the lifting ring bracket would be in the way of the power steering ram bracket.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68410&d=1319232196

badbird
10-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok,so I have the right shield...and I see what you mean about the lifting ring interference ...so I'm good there.

So i have the wrong steering yoke connection and require a few pieces to make that right.

Then there is the cable issue...would that just require a new style cable to run on the starboard side and what about where the cable hooks up to the steer wheel assembly...would that also be different?
Are these cables still available?

Thanks again

Neil

mattyboy
10-22-2011, 07:45 AM
yes what you need

are the connections that go from the housing to the helmet and to the power steering bracket

there is the vertical piece which has the barrel that goes in the hole on the housing, this also bolts to the power steering bracket. then there is horizontal piece which connects to the vertical piece and the steering yolk/arm by ball joints on each end. last would be the yolk which connects to the helmet of the drive.

not sure on the cable, mine leaves the helm on the port side runs on that side for a bit then crosses over to starboard under the seat and runs along the starboard gunwale into the bracket. the helm was also changed not sure if it was for the power steering upgrade or if the old just went bad.

the cables should be available mine is a teleflex.

Kirbyvv
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
my cable originally went from the helm down the port side. When I added the power steering we rotated the helm 180 degrees so the cable exited to the starboard. I did have to get a longer cable.
See if Bill still has the brackets, etc. for the volvo power steering set up.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I have tried to follow the installation followup, but I have not been able to help since my Eliminator Daytona was already rigged with the dual ram external steering when I bought it from my friend, Kit. He gave me the Volvo PS setup with the boat since it still had the Volvo Penta drive when I bought it. I quickly replaced the drive with a Bravo when the VP would not hold up to the 550-600HP blower engine (I got about 3 hours use after having the VP drive rebuilt). I thought it would be a relatively easy add-on system. Sorry about not being able to help, Bill

badbird
10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks again for the replies guys....so this what i need ....there is the vertical piece which has the barrel that goes in the hole on the housing, this also bolts to the power steering bracket. then there is horizontal piece which connects to the vertical piece and the steering yolk/arm by ball joints on each end. last would be the yolk which connects to the helmet of the drive.Thanks mattyboy.Check out matty's last pic (grey parts)
If anyone out there has any of these three pieces that they want to part with please let me know.

Still not sure about the steer helm....would that have to be replaced also to accommodate the new style cable.good to know that it can be rotated 180 to change the direction of the cable...thx Kirby.

Will have to check the bone yard at my buddies marina...I know there is one boat with a volvo drive...hope is has power steering.

Cheers

mattyboy
10-24-2011, 07:23 PM
these would be the parts i described

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-GM-steering-linkage-4-cylinder-V6-V8-retainer-c-/300609380703?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fdb7215f

badbird
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Wow Mattyboy ur Good :yes:....If nothing turns up in the bone yard of boats...I can go here.Thanks for the link.

Still need to find out about the steer helm and newer style cable ???....anyone???

Cheers

badbird
12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to put this back up...still looking for info on the power steering set up...I may have the linkage I'm looking for...will know next week.

I tried looking for the cable on the internet....no luck? if any of you guys happen to have a p/n from your cable,could you pls pass it on.I also looked on the teliflex site but no volvo 280 stuff

Still not sure on the helm...as I have the old style cable on my boat ????

Thanks

f_inscreenname
12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Have a complete P/S set up off a Volvo 290 (should work with other Volvo's) if anyone is interested.

mattyboy
12-28-2011, 11:36 AM
That's a good setup, but will only work on a 290 well except for maybe the pump . the 290 has a different steering setup then the 200-270 or the 280

badbird
12-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Just wondering what motor the pump came off....as I'm looking for a pump to mount on a 350 GM.

Thanks

badbird
12-28-2011, 11:42 AM

thanks for the pics Matty....you have been a great help....the puzzle is getting closer :yes:

Kirbyvv
12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Old style steering cables are still available. I'm running the original teleflex helm, which I think is the same as on your 18. We just got a longer cable. I don't have the PN or remember the length though.

f_inscreenname
12-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Ahhh. Now I see Matt after looking at the 2 shields (I also have in stock).

The pump came off a Chevy 305.
I also have these off of a Volvo 280.