PDA

View Full Version : Oh great!!!

Planetwarmer
09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I noticed more water than usual when I pulled the plug. I raised the drive all the way up and water started pouring out of the bellows!!! I checked it out with the drive hard right and all the way up. Sure enough, a 1" hole.

I am willing to bet this is the reason I had to replace 2 sets of gimble bearings last year. The bellows are from 1987 (Alpha 1), so I'm sure its just rotten. There are tiny cracks all around each pleat.

I have to replace the bellows etc. I hear this is a tough job. Any ideas or suggestions before I get started?

Thanks, Nate:bonk:

mrfixxall
09-02-2011, 06:52 PM
it being a 87 its a piece of cake,,with the exhaust bellow out of the way and a 1/4'' 5/16 wabble socket to looses the hose clamps you may e able to just slip it out with the drive off and the getting it out with the hat in the up position..

Planetwarmer
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Ooooo! I like the way you think!! I was also considering replacing the shift cable and boot 'to boot':kingme:. Can I do that without removing the pins too?

gcarter
09-03-2011, 06:13 AM
W/the proper tools, it's not that hard to remove the pins.
Then the whole job is easier.

biggiefl
09-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow....anyway enjoy because you WILL freak out! Kinda like trying to get that hose over the radiator....CCCCCAAAAMMMMOOOONNN!

mrfixxall
09-03-2011, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

yes you can,you just need a thin walled socket,like paper thin..i can get the whole job done in about 2 hrs