PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand this thinking. . . .

Just Say N20
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Many of you know that I like to continually see what is available in the Donzis for sale arena. One of the easiest ways to do this was using the Jaxed search engine that looked at everything nationwide on Craigslist. This was very convenient.

It was/and still is possible to search individual cities, when looking for an item, but this is a very inefficient way to look for something, and a huge waste of time. Jaxed combined everything into one big list. As a result of this, I have purchased a significant number of items (boat/motorcycle/auto and accessories) at a distance, because the Jaxed search let me find what I was looking for.

Enter lawyers.

In an action that baffles my mind, Jaxed was ordered to CEASE AND DESIST UNLAWFUL MISUSE OF CRAIGSLIST. Did anyone at CL even think about how this would affect them? Why would you intentionally force someone to STOP doing something that made it EASIER for people to buy/sell things, which is why the site exists?

The following is now posted on the Jaxed website:
Aug 26, 2011 20:26:27 : Craigslist sends C&D to jaxed.com
By: jaXed
The jaXed Mash has been presented with a "CEASE AND DESIST UNLAWFUL MISUSE OF CRAIGSLIST" from attorneys representing Craigslist. In the C&D, The jaXed Mash was cited for violating the Craigslist Terms of Use. Cragislist has demanded that The jaXed Mash remove all Craigslist listing titles, and cease to index Craigslist listings in the future.

At this time, we are removing all Craigslist links from The jaXed Mash.

One of the comments posted on the Jaxed.com site was the verbage used to file a complaint. I think it states the case very well.

Aug 29, 2011 17:50:06 : Comment by: Filed
Here is what I wrote to legal@craigslist.org and press@craigslist.org. Feel free to use the same:

I am writing in response to Craigslist’s recent action in furnishing a Cease and Desist letter to www.jaxed.com.

I have been a longtime user of craigslist as both a seller and buyer, and value the service it provides in both realms. I have also been a long time user of supplemental search sites such as www.jaxed.com and others in an effort to locate items across the country. As a result of these supplemental sites, I have in the past been able to locate and purchase a variety of items, for both personal and business purposes.

It is my hope that by writing to you, someone can provide an explanation of why sites such as www.jaxed.com are being intimidated and threatened without cause or justification. Craigslist itself allows me as a consumer to independently visit multiple national sites and search those sites for items I am looking for. However, this is a time consuming and cumbersome exercise and quite frankly I would prefer to spend my time doing other things. Sites such as www.jaxed.com did what craigslist has never done, and made it manageable and efficient to search multiple nationwide sites for items I am looking for. As a result, I am then able to click through to that site and initiate a transaction through the information that has been provided by craigslist. If nothing else, sites such as www.jaxed.com had driven me to use craigslist more often.

As a direct result of the intimidation and threats by Craigslist, my potential audience for buyers has been dramatically reduced, as have my opportunities to purchase items from afar. This has negatively affected not only my bottom line as a business, but also my ability as a consumer to spend money. By losing the ability to search and compare multiple listings, I have also lost my ability as a consumer to protect my choices.

It is ironic that an advanced Google search allows you to obtain similar results as were provided by www.jaxed.com and other sites that have been intimidated and threatened, but unfortunately Google, like craigslist, does not do a very good job of organizing and displaying the results. However, www.jaxed.com did do a good job.

It is also ironic that I get multiple emails per day from “Craigslist’s CEO” advising me to claim my free iPad, or numerous other spam, phishing or fraudulent emails that originate from postings on craigslist. I would assume those are all clear violations of Craigslist’s Terms of Use, did they all get Cease and Desist letters?

I have filed an official complaint with the Illinois Attorney General’s Office in the hope that if there is in fact justification for Craigslist’s action they will be made public, and if there is not, then they will be stopped.

I welcome your comments.

silverghost
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with you~
It really limits your oportunity to find items of interest that are not actually in your immediate area.

Could this be a way that Craigslist, and it lawyers, are trying to deal with the heavy influx of long distance scammers, and outright con artists, that have popped-up in the last few years ?
That's the only explanation & reasoning that I can think of Craigslist for taking this action.

gcarter
08-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Is it possible that CL is planning to offer such a system themselves and they are pre-emptively clearing the playing field?

Ghost
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
I suspect George hit the nail on the head--that was my first thought too.

And it's also just the way of the world that they won't go after Google, because they'd get their a$$es handed to them. But Jaxed is small enough.

I think one way to do it is to boycott Craigslist until they back off.

But Bill's note raises a separate, important question: should we allow CL to use the FORCE of law (which comes from us) in order to squash jaxed? My sense is probably not. Hard to classify as legal what Google and Bing and Yahoo and others do with Craigslist data (and all other data) while outlawing Jaxed. So, for purposes of equal protection, banning one by force of law while protecting the other strikes me as completely improper.

EDIT: I did some reading on Jaxed and learned that eBay owns Craigslist. EBay wants to keep Craigslist local, and wants to get prevent its cheap listings from being usable for wider-than-local commerce. They want to force everyone to use eBay for the larger net.

So, F them. Time to make BillsList...

RedDog
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I can't answer your question, but CraigsPal seems to do what you are looking for and it still works

http://craigspal.com/Download-CraigsPal

Forrest
08-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Yea, it's crazy. They shut down the one I used to use, CraigLook.com (http://CraigLook.com), awhile back that did the same kind of search.

Thanks for the tip, RedDog! I'll give CraigsPal a try.

inlander
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
The Jaxed Site Mash Site saved a huge amount of time. How can this benefit Craigslist?
:mad:

What is the difference between a dead Snake and a Lawyer lying in the roadway?

There's skidmarks leading up to the snake!

Disclaimer: The views of this poster, are not necessarily those his own, and are not affiliated with any Boat Forum Web. site or any organization that despises attorneys and/or hates snakes.

There...Now I'm safe from an attorney lawsuit.

Tidbart
08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
I use google for example:

Donzi 22zx site:craigslist.org

This will query all ads.

Bob

gmcars10
08-31-2011, 08:17 PM
To control regional paid advertising.................by using massive search methodes you bypass the ads that are paid for. Just a hunch....

mrfixxall
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
all you have to do is google craigslist search engine and 50 thousand pages pop up.. i usually pick one of the firse ones..

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DVXB_enUS446&q=craigslist+search+engine

wannabe
09-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Searchtempest works but Jaxed is much easier

Greg Guimond
09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
I can never figure this stuff out. Can anyone use there knowledge to find me a 2006 or even better 2007 Volvo V70 R Wagon with Black Interior. Now a CPO "R" would be an absolute jackpot from the search engine gods!

RedDog
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Yea, it's crazy. They shut down the one I used to use, CraigLook.com (http://CraigLook.com), awhile back that did the same kind of search.
Thanks for the tip, RedDog! I'll give CraigsPal a try.

I used CraigsPal just yesterday and found a potential new red toy 3 hours down the road. Hitting the road with cash in a couple of hours - hope it is as good as advertised. Will report back tomorrow...

NJFASTECH
09-03-2011, 12:08 PM
The old craiglook was replaced
http://claz.org/

Ghost
09-03-2011, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

THIS sounds interesting...

Perfect16
09-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Here's the one I use. It allows you to search all of the USA or regionally as well as by city.......worked for me as this is how I found my Donzi Classic 16.

Good luck!

http://www.allofcraigs.com/2011/01/craigslist-west.html?cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=&cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3A53v4sjbhovm&as_q=more%3Aregion&btnI=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_qdr=d2&as_epq=donzi&as_eq=&as_occt=title&sa=Advanced+Search#1951