PDA

View Full Version : air filter/flame arrester

Fishermanjm
08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
seeing that i can't find a K&N flame arrester for my 6.2 mpi engine (K&N doesn't make one nor does anyone else, or so it seems) i was thinking about making my own,,, am i putting myself in danger not using the stock aluminium flame arrestor? I was thinking about using the K&N filter element and making my own base and lid with a nice wing nut. any suggestions or comments are needed,
jim

mattyboy
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
the flame arrestor needs to be USCG approved, might be a sticky widget if an insurance claim or survey is needed.

Fishermanjm
08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
with all the pics i've seen of engines, it seems they all have different performance style air filter elements, i think the K&N filter is USCG approved. Thats why i'm thinkin about using the filter element and either cut the flange off the origional flame arrestor and make one,,, i hear what you are sayin about insurance Does anyone know if there is a performance flame arrestor for my engine???

f_inscreenname
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Fishermanjm;612363]i think the K&N filter is USCG approved. QUOTE]
Yup it is.

This is what I did. Found a solid aluminum base and top plate (came with a crappy paper filter) on eBay and then got a K&N filter to match. This thing is so solid that comparing it to a normal flame arrestor is like comparing a propane tank to a beer can.

pipnit
08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/arrestors.cfm?theSubCategory=1