PDA

View Full Version : hurricane cocktails

Fishermanjm
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
well the yard is closed up tight, the boats are in the back yard covered and bungie corded up, the camper is back in the bed of my ram truck and the generator is ready,,,, the only thing left to do is light the fire tonite and let the hurricane cocktails flow,,, i'm gettin a head start on the hurricane party!!! any excuse for good booze an fire will do for me. I hope everyone makes it through this storm this weekend,,, good luck to all of us!!!

gcarter
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Be careful Jim.
Don't have too many of those cocktails as you may need your wits about you a bit later.

silverghost
08-26-2011, 10:31 AM
You folks in the path of the storm without a generator should lower the temps in your fridge & freezers to it's lowest setting now & put some blue ice units in the freezer to give you more time before your food spoils in the case of extended power outages.
I found this out the hard way several weeks ago after my power was out for 18+ hours.

Good luck & Godspeed to all in harm's way.

Fishermanjm
08-26-2011, 02:20 PM
i'm gonna fill a large cooler with ice,,, for the beer and cocktails,,, i have the extension cords laid out for the freezer down stairs and for the referigerator up stairs

Morgan's Cloud
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
The fridge trick reminds me of what I did in 2003 in the lead up to Fabian.
My parents were away , so I took the opportunity to crank the large chest freezer and fridge in the garage down to absolute zero. I started to produce large blocks of ice almost on an industrial scale. When the storm whacked us three days later I was in good shape for ice .
I forgot to return the freezers etc back to normal settings though and when the folks returned many weeks later the constant humidity had done it's trick and everything was frosted up like a 2nd ice age.

Mom's had a FIT ... I thought I was going to get my first cut azz in 40 years :biggrin.:

Stay safe guys ...

Greg Guimond
08-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I was in NY Harbor today and the big one's were heading north to seek shelter. Probably saw a dozen 100 footers heading up the Hudson to get out of harms way. Marina's were hauling out all day long and I have not seen the number of extra FDNY and NYPD boats staged in varoius locations along the shore.