PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Systems

99-28zx
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey i know a little about stereos but i wanted some ideas and maybe list what you have if your into sound. I plan on running shore power to my batteries plus a 27 series battery with a triple bank charger. I want to run my stereo off the one battery so that it does not effect my lights trim etc. I need a new head unit, i want to run 4 speakers outside and two in rather than just the two out, i want to run an AMP to it all so i have enough sound while i am running, i also want two 10 inch subs to have enough bass to make the sound right but not over do things. I do not need to win any sound contests or run my wallet fully dry but i am looking for the best applications that will last. Also i do not need marine amps or head unit but i would like all marine subs and speakers so if it rains or i wash the boat with a hose inside i have no worries. I have a 1999 donzi 28zx and i know the spots to replace to speakers from stock but would like some ideas for the extra two and also the best place to put the two 10 inch subs and if i will need boxes to make it sound right. Thank you for your help i will post pictures mid winter when i get this all done. I also plan on putting on zyrex bottom paint its high performance and adds speed i am trying to pick between blue white or red i will add a pic of the boat input would help thank you again

tnc110
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I am in the same situation as you are. I plan on replacing the 6.5s with 7.7s...all JL audio...I plan on keeping this boat for a long time and JL is top notch, top price though. They make a 7.7 set that comes with tweets that I plan on mounting on the dash. Also plan on installing atleast 1 10" free air sub. Going with keenwood head unit and probably a JL amp.
Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures!

450rrrr
08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
eveyone will have thier own ideas on whats best.i put in 4 jl 6.5 in the stock locations.i was going to bump up to the 7.7.but decided against it.much better sound than the stock sony equipment.1 -10 in jl sub under the rear seat.not the free air version. however i have not built a sub box.i know the volume is to large. but im not doing any sound competitions,and i able to get the bass i need through the amp. the amp is a alpine marine grade pdx5m..75+4 and 300+1.cabin mounted along with the head unit.a clarion cmd 6.with 2 of there mw1r remotes. on head units i was nt happy with the stock sony.so i replaced it with a fusion unit that lasted 5 months.then the clarion.have been very happy with the control you have from the remotes ect..they say the cabnet is s/s and one add show it being sprayed with a shower.this set up is perfect when anchored.the clarity is perfect.since i have removed the mufflers and went to straight pipes i do have to crank it at speed.but would still say that im happy with the set up.

zelatore
08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey i know a little about stereos but i wanted some ideas and maybe list what you have if your into sound. I plan on running shore power to my batteries plus a 27 series battery with a triple bank charger. I want to run my stereo off the one battery so that it does not effect my lights trim etc. I need a new head unit, i want to run 4 speakers outside and two in rather than just the two out, i want to run an AMP to it all so i have enough sound while i am running, i also want two 10 inch subs to have enough bass to make the sound right but not over do things. I do not need to win any sound contests or run my wallet fully dry but i am looking for the best applications that will last. Also i do not need marine amps or head unit but i would like all marine subs and speakers so if it rains or i wash the boat with a hose inside i have no worries. I have a 1999 donzi 28zx and i know the spots to replace to speakers from stock but would like some ideas for the extra two and also the best place to put the two 10 inch subs and if i will need boxes to make it sound right. Thank you for your help i will post pictures mid winter when i get this all done. I also plan on putting on zyrex bottom paint its high performance and adds speed i am trying to pick between blue white or red i will add a pic of the boat input would help thank you again

I won’t try to address specific components as I haven’t built a stereo in years and don’t know what’s hot these days, but I can address some of your other questions.

First, you say you plan to install shore power. That’s good for keeping the batteries up while you’re away but probably overkill for such a small boat. If you do it anyway, 30 amp/125v is by far the most common so I’d go with that. Don’t forget to put a master breaker near the inlet as well as a small sub-panel with breakers in the cabin for your individual circuits. To tell the truth, on a boat like this I’d probably just install a small easily accessible jack that I could power the on-board charger with instead of a full shore power set-up. What other 120vac circuits would you even use? A microwave maybe?

Next, you say you plan to use group 27 batteries and a triple bank charger. Again, I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve. Being a single engine boat, I’m assuming you have a start battery and a house battery. Do you perhaps have a gen or something else that you use the 3rd bank for? If not, a 2-bank charger would be less money. For inexpensive chargers I like Pro Mariner’s stuff. They offer a 20 amp 2 bank unit that’s quite reasonable that should easily handle your boat’s needs. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s designed to be plugged into an outlet instead of hard-wired, but that’s as easy to fix as a pair of wire cutters…

If you plan to run the stereo a lot at anchor, I’d consider upgrading to a gp 31 battery for the house. Not much more weight or size, but a few more amp hours.

If the batteries aren’t already installed and you’re adding the second battery, be sure to use an isolator to allow your single alternator to charge both batteries without directly connecting them to each other. And of course a Perko switch that allows for paralleling the batteries in an emergency is a great addition if you don’t already have one.

I do agree with you about using marine speakers in the cockpit but not spending the money on a marine amp or head unit if you’re mounting it well out of harm’s way in the cabin. If on the other hand you’ll have either unit in the cockpit, even under a seat or whatever, then I’d spring for a marine unit. It seems like a waste to spend the more money for what looks like exactly the same part, but the fully potted boards go a long way to keeping the thing alive for more than a season or two.

mike o
08-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I ponied up for the JL audio 7.7's and 6.5's in my 18C. Outstanding sounding speakers with 600 watt amp. Actually, I wouldnt get the saw out to install any subs till Ya hear the 7.7's. The 7.7's get it "done" on the low end, with a sweet natural sound :yes: in my small boat anyway.. :cool!:

Fishermanjm
08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
mike, where did you put the amp, and what stereo do you have in the boat? what is the smaller speaker next to the 7.7 speaker,,, lil tweeter???

mike o
08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I 5200 a piece of painted oak up under the deck behind the gages and screwed the amp to it. Sony marine 50 cdx head, but all head units become just pre-amps when you hook them to a real amp. The little tweeters come with the JL audio 7.7's.

joseph m. hahnl
08-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I thought I didn't need a marine head either. Unfortunately condensation had a different opinion. It had a speaker short fault. You need to have the coated board or it'll eventually short, especially that all new stereos have micro chips in them. I ended up replacing the unit that shorted with the same exact Kenwood model with the marine coated board for the same cost as the auto unit.Kenwood makes a outstanding product for a very reasonable price. I put my ADS power plate inside the bow, screwed to the cockpit wall.
I put 4 way 6X9's in the rear, 3 way 5's in the front ,I used modern mylar speakers.

99-28zx
08-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I won’t try to address specific components as I haven’t built a stereo in years and don’t know what’s hot these days, but I can address some of your other questions.

First, you say you plan to install shore power. That’s good for keeping the batteries up while you’re away but probably overkill for such a small boat. If you do it anyway, 30 amp/125v is by far the most common so I’d go with that. Don’t forget to put a master breaker near the inlet as well as a small sub-panel with breakers in the cabin for your individual circuits. To tell the truth, on a boat like this I’d probably just install a small easily accessible jack that I could power the on-board charger with instead of a full shore power set-up. What other 120vac circuits would you even use? A microwave maybe?

Next, you say you plan to use group 27 batteries and a triple bank charger. Again, I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve. Being a single engine boat, I’m assuming you have a start battery and a house battery. Do you perhaps have a gen or something else that you use the 3rd bank for? If not, a 2-bank charger would be less money. For inexpensive chargers I like Pro Mariner’s stuff. They offer a 20 amp 2 bank unit that’s quite reasonable that should easily handle your boat’s needs. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s designed to be plugged into an outlet instead of hard-wired, but that’s as easy to fix as a pair of wire cutters…

If you plan to run the stereo a lot at anchor, I’d consider upgrading to a gp 31 battery for the house. Not much more weight or size, but a few more amp hours.

If the batteries aren’t already installed and you’re adding the second battery, be sure to use an isolator to allow your single alternator to charge both batteries without directly connecting them to each other. And of course a Perko switch that allows for paralleling the batteries in an emergency is a great addition if you don’t already have one.

I do agree with you about using marine speakers in the cockpit but not spending the money on a marine amp or head unit if you’re mounting it well out of harm’s way in the cabin. If on the other hand you’ll have either unit in the cockpit, even under a seat or whatever, then I’d spring for a marine unit. It seems like a waste to spend the more money for what looks like exactly the same part, but the fully potted boards go a long way to keeping the thing alive for more than a season or two.

Well thank you for the input on the shore power and all. It is a twin engine boat so i have 2 engine batteries and that's it. I am the sales manager at our family's marina so i am pretty into the aspects of setting up a charging system. I would like a full shore power system because i will use this boat unlike other people. I am putting bottom paint on and will be taking trips and leaving it in the water full time. I would like an outlet inside as well as the battery charger. I do plan on saving with the amp inside and head unit and just getting a remote for the outside. Than of coarse all waterproof speakers, one of my main question is do i really need a box or will two subs mounted through the front of the rear seat sound good? Thanx again

99-28zx
08-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I thought I didn't need a marine head either. Unfortunately condensation had a different opinion. It had a speaker short fault. You need to have the coated board or it'll eventually short, especially that all new stereos have micro chips in them. I ended up replacing the unit that shorted with the same exact Kenwood model with the marine coated board for the same cost as the auto unit.Kenwood makes a outstanding product for a very reasonable price. I put my ADS power plate inside the bow, screwed to the cockpit wall.
I put 4 way 6X9's in the rear, 3 way 5's in the front ,I used modern mylar speakers.

That's very informative... so your saying that even if the head unit is inside that the marine speakers outside getting wet and stuff can carry that back to the head unit? or did i miss understand you

99-28zx
08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I ponied up for the JL audio 7.7's and 6.5's in my 18C. Outstanding sounding speakers with 600 watt amp. Actually, I wouldnt get the saw out to install any subs till Ya hear the 7.7's. The 7.7's get it "done" on the low end, with a sweet natural sound :yes: in my small boat anyway.. :cool!:

That is a clean looking set up, i do like a little extra bass so i am thinking maybe two 7.7s with the tweets, two 6.5's to replace my two outside stocks and two 6.5s in the cabin to replace the stocks and run two 10 inch subs and two amps inside the cabin with a decent head unit with a remote would be a good goal set up to have done for next spring ?

I was thinking JL anway do you think that set up would sound pretty good or would u go as far as 4 7.7's outside and two 6.5's inside

joseph m. hahnl
08-27-2011, 08:43 AM
That's very informative... so your saying that even if the head unit is inside that the marine speakers outside getting wet and stuff can carry that back to the head unit? or did i miss understand you

Boats are generally not air tight like cars. So even though it is inside the cabin
condensation will get to it. I assume your adding a stereo you already have from something else and not using one that is already in the boat. In my honest opinion it's not worth the chance, I did take it and the result was less than favorable, so I'm only trying keep you from making the same mistake as me.

You can find this Kenwood KMR 330 for less than a $100 with a Google search of the model number.It has everything you could ever want or need to play all your media and has all kinds of accessories. I have a wireless remote that came with the other auto one I had * Come to think of it I haven't even tried to see if it works with the remote* any way good luck in your Endeavor

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ddzElriObsp/p_113KMR330/Kenwood-KMR-330.html

mike o
08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
If I was to do it again. Id go 7.7's everywhere. They are louder than the 6.5's and are full range with the tweets. You can the adjust the bass to taste with the boost functions with these newer amps, with 3 different db setting. And, different gain setting on the amp, front and rear etc. The 7.7's are crystal clear @ full blast. I'm sure there are other speakers that sound great out there. But JL grille's are more protective from other's Ive seen. Id definitely buy a marine Head + amp. My boats carpet alway wet. So when I put the cover on, theres a lot of moisture in there. These new heads that you insert an I pod into and close the cover, is where I'm headed, when I up grade my 02 sony (non Ipod compatible ) unit.