PDA

View Full Version : Peconic Bay Run Sept 17th-18th

MOP
08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
So far looks like four boats, Mario with his Corsican, Maddad and Ralph Severese in their 18's and MOP tagging along in my 22. Will be getting hold of a few more locals out this way, I have a fabulous ramp but it does require a sticker. Mario wants to run to Montauk weather permitting and there is always Claudios for lunch. Chime in if you are interested. Phil

maddad
08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
It was a great time last year, I can't wait to do it again. Ralphs yellow and black will add a splash of color to the all blue group we had last year. C'mon, I know there's a bunch of Donzis here on the island, who else is going to get this late season ride in to make the winter go quicker?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66131&stc=1&d=1314070525

beech35
08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
how big is the bay? wifey and i might make the trip up from newport RI with our 93 22 classic

tc

mike o
08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Phil, whats the issue with the sticker?

Sweet Cheekz
08-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Wish I could make it. I love boating around there Beautiful! Have fun Hope for calm seas

BTW Crab Cakes at Claudios:)

Parnell

MOP
08-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok I will try to answer the ?? It is really three bays all connected I would guess about 30 miles long, width varies up to about a 1-1/2 wide.

Ok hold the presses on the ramp issue! I was thinking about using my ramp in Jamesport. Just called the town clerk out in Greenport, being as our date is after Labor Day it will not cost us. The only hitch which is nothing we need to be out by dusk. Also Just called Riverhead, they said to call just before but thought it would be Ok to use my ramp in Jamesport also. Greenport is closer to the action and 15 miles closer to Montauk. Mario and Linda will be staying at my place and I can take on another couple on a fold out if need be, there are also plenty motels etc. Both ramps have mucho parking, we also have a myriad of regular and fine restaurants and of course watering holes.

A run from Newport by water can be iffy if the weather turns, no getting away with the long run along the bottom of RI all open water best to trailer over.

I am sure there will be seat room in a few of the boats for those that may not be able to bring theirs.

Phil

Fishermanjm
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Phil, i'd like to go on this run,,, i'm gonna try to set up somethin for an overnight, i don't want to have to haul back to RI on the saturday,,, any sugestions on motels etc... jim

MOP
08-27-2011, 05:56 PM
There is a ton of hotel/motels I will think about which ones can accommodate trailers, will try to get back in a day or two worrying about the storm right now.

Phil

jstokes8407
09-02-2011, 06:48 AM
we got 3 reds and 1 blue 18 's i will try to get the boys out that day

maddad
09-02-2011, 09:20 PM
[That would be awesome, where are you coming from? right here on the island?

MOP
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi I looked around to see what places have good trailer parking! The board has been giving me fits lately that and the storm slowed me down. The Sunset is the least expensive, it and Soundview have the best water views! Soundview Inn (631) 477-1910 Port of Egypt Heron Suites (631) 765-5121 Sunset Motel 631-477-1776

MOP
09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Cell 631 278 1892
House 631 722 4195

Both numbers have answering service, I will return calls either at lunch time or after work. You can also contact me Sat AM.
I will get everyone to the ramp!

maddad
09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Last year, we had a race dictate the time and place. I like getting started early, if for no other reason than the traffic headed east builds fast near the winerys. I could be at the ramp at 8 with egg sandwiches just like last year on saturday and/or sunday. The weekend looks to be nice weather wise, and I'm in the mood to waste some gas. A ride to Montauk? that'd be a blast. Phil, Mario, any thoughts on this? I think Ralph said sunday's better for him, but I'm in for both if that's doable.

MOP
09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
The Corsican is on my front lawn, the owner absconded to points east until Sat AM. As soon as I hear from people I will push an early start.

MOP
09-15-2011, 10:00 PM
The launch ramp is located at the foot of Manhanset Ave, it run south off the main road to or from the Orient Ferry. Coming from the west approximately one mile past the "Welcome to Greenport" sign you will see a flashing light intersection, second right by the cemetery then follow to the end. Coming from the ferry it is a 15 minute ride, easiest is to watch for the cemetery. The cemetery is a pretty good size and it will be on your left, if it sneaks up on you no sweat about 1/8 mile ahead is a large parking lot to turn around in and come back to Manhanset Ave! We have people arriving at various times will have to play some of this by ear, weather looks like it will be decent 70ish. Again no permits needed after Labor Day! If you "Google Earth" look for Gull Pond, the launch ramp is inside facing north a very nice setup. There is quite a bit of bulk head to tie up to, if you venture off run straight out about 150 feet to ensure deep water. Phil

Fishermanjm
09-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Phil,,, have you ever gone from the Old Saybrook Ct area out to Peconic Bay area??? A couple guys are tellin me that its an easy ride,,, they are tellin me its 40 minutes from the town launch to Claudios, what is your deeling on that?
jim

MOP
09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes it can be a nice run, but if the sound kicks up it can be a brutal return trip I know been there done that.

Phil

maddad
09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
It was great seeing the same crew from last year again. Saturday was a beautiful day for a boat ride and we tried to make the most of it. Mario had the governor set on his boat, but we did get up to 68 side by side before she poked him in the arm and asked him to slow down. Sadly, some gremlins got his starter and cut the corsicans day short. If Mario's wife Linda and Phil's better half Bonnie had swapped seats, I could be sitting here wondering how the heck is that boat so fast with over 100 fewer ci's than I've got. Lunch at Claudio's is always a good time. Next year we're going to allow an extra 1/2 hour for Bonnie and Phil to walk through the place. Apparently they know everybody. The docks were full of some serious offshore hardware and it was cool how all the guys on those boats had a smile and thumbs up for our little classics. Sunday, the gremlins got my trailer, but Ralph made it out there to run with those guys. I can't wait for next year, but please, someone else bring a camera or take mine from Tim, he's a great guy but can't take a picture to save his life.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67936&d=1316570145
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67937&d=1316570157
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67938&d=1316570166
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67939&d=1316570177