PDA

View Full Version : 'Irene'

Morgan's Cloud
08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Well , it looks like she's going to be the first biggie (maybe) of the 2011 season for you East Coasters , particularly Florida. So far , our models have her showing as (also) possibly impacting a lot of the east coast as she travels northward.

For us out here in the boonies it looks like the Bermuda High will keep us safe from her. That's not helping our drought though , but we don't want a hurricane to help alleviate that situation.

Use the next few days wisely to make all of your preps just in case !

gcarter
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Hopefully, the trend continues and the models shows it moving further and further to the east..........
May not be good for the Carolinas though.

Tidbart
08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Frankly, we could use a good hurricane in central Florida. I love em.:):yes:

B

f_inscreenname
08-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Looks like it's going to push a storm serge up the Chesapeake Bay. Be prepared to some flooding. Sunday don't look like it's going to be any fun for us.

hardcrab
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Looks like it's going to push a storm serge up the Chesapeake Bay. Be prepared to some flooding. Sunday don't look like it's going to be any fun for us.
Well, HOLY CRAP ! .... Irene may be a cat 3 or 4.

Last Friday at 6:30 pm, a tornado touched down a few miles from my house ( Magothy Bridge Rd ) , knocked out the power for 15 hours. Now we got the hurricane supposedly / possibly gonna make a run up the bay.
I thought that was enough reason to go buy a generator. While I'm in the store (in Annapolis) A 5.9 EARTQUAKE HIT ! the walls were shakin', the hardware on the wall racks were clanging , stuff was getting upset on the counters. An all-time record for Maryland.

I'll say it again ....... HOLY CRAP !

Ghost
08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Go Nature! Beat DC!

mike o
08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Frankly, we could use a good hurricane in central Florida. I love em.:):yes:

BI guess your going to have come back and visit the old homestead....:D

Donzi_Dude
08-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Greeting from the beach at nagsheads. Surfs up baby!

Still tippin' !

gcarter
08-27-2011, 01:21 PM
This storm looks like a WIMP!!!!!
Barely a hurricane!
You North Easterners shouldn't think for a minute that something significant's coming your way,
Cause it AIN'T!!!!!

mattyboy
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
rain bands moving in now 3pm 40 miles nw of NYC. we have had an extremely wet Aug. lake is up almost to it's banks now before this rain moves thru today and tom. If we get any wind trees coming down will be the problem, I have a 8 foot round 200 foot oak got blasted last friday by lightning it has me un-nerved the yard is very wet.

just heard from the down state of emergency as of 9pm tonite til further notice
they want everyone off the roads and will issue tickets.

went and took the battery out of the boat and took the spare bilge pump have it plumbed up and ready to go if the power goes out.

Greg Guimond
08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm with you on the tree issue Matty, I have half a dozen 100 footers that surround the house. Any one of them goes and it would be impossible to miss a direct hit to the dwelling.

Greg Guimond
08-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I spent the day in and around NY Harbor yesterday.........all the big stuff was heading North on the Hudson

MOP
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Between last night and today spent about 10 hours moving or putting away yard stuff and putting ropes over the boats canvas. They have evacuated within two blocks of us, we are 13 feet above sea level about 1/4 mile from the bay. I have a decent escape route if it gets bad or they tell us to leave, if the water gets close I have a ton of stuff to ferry to high ground about 1/8 mile away. Two yard tractors, three mowers, chipper, two snow blowers one brandy new, three vehicles and yes without doubt my 22. If the water does make it to the house that will be a real bad dream, we will have to move a lot from the basement up but hopefully not past the first floor. Once all the goodies are moved to high ground I will come back and see what else can be saved, no flood insurance offered in our area going to have to do whatever. Bonnie is praying it don't get that bad, honest me too!

silverghost
08-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Sheets & buckets of rain here in the Philly Suburban Area as of 6:45PM Sat.

No wind at all~~~Yet.

South Jersey is getting hammered now by the surf on the barrier islands of Atlantic City , Ocean City, to Cape May.

Lots of flooding everywhere.
I am at 200 feet above sea level here in PA so all should be ok.
My street & driveway are now like rivers.

Ghost
08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Solid rain since noon. Wind just jumped up here in the last few minutes. 24 steady, gusts to 43, with perhaps a long way to go tonight, depending on the track.

gcarter
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
rain bands moving in now 3pm 40 miles nw of NYC. we have had an extremely wet Aug. lake is up almost to it's banks now before this rain moves thru today and tom. If we get any wind trees coming down will be the problem, I have a 8 foot round 200 foot oak got blasted last friday by lightning it has me un-nerved the yard is very wet.

just heard from the down state of emergency as of 9pm tonite til further notice
they want everyone off the roads and will issue tickets.

went and took the battery out of the boat and took the spare bilge pump have it plumbed up and ready to go if the power goes out.

No doubt that rain and flooding are the biggest problems w/storms like this.
And I'm truly grateful that you're not looking at a catafory 3 or 4 storm like we've seen several times in the last 10 years or so.
Be careful everyone.

MOP
08-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Broke down and filled the bath tub, has to be 20 years since we have had such perfect conditions for flooding out here. Thankfully looks like a day light thing, will be able to keep a good eye on things.

Buddyc
08-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Just alot of rain now. No real wind.. Keeping fingers crossed.
Were between Atlantic city and Philly

Greg Guimond
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
She's certainly taking her sweet time heading North! In the metro NY area the timing of the high tide, along with full moon and the storm surge will create the most havoc. Hard to hide that much water even if the winds die down to 60 and the trees stay up. Yesterday, when I was on the river, it could not have been calmer. I saw a stream of cargo ships heading out Ambrose Channel all day long.

dsparis
08-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm born and raised in s.e. fl. Been through Betsy and Andrew. Irene is and has been nothing but media hype.

mattyboy
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
don't think the media hype wiped_out the town of margretville ny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqB7f3rfkLI

Scott Pearson
08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
There is parts here in NJ that are destroyed by water. Here in Howell we had 11.6 inches! Down the street in the apartments in town the first floors are wiped out. Water over the roofs of cars parked in the lots. Downtown Englishtown and Hightstown are destroyed by floods. Media hype...yea right....:confused:

joseph m. hahnl
08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
NH flooding in the upper Connecticut river basin. Dam breach in Campton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEB26ewmzak

I don't have any power:frown:. Running a Generator at the moment:lightning

The good news is the Minx is safe and sound.I took her out in the eye of the storm and today was absolutely a perfect day.

Fishermanjm
08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
media hype??? are u in southern new england cleaning up after this media hype,,, REALLY??? just because this hurricane was a cat 1??? media hype??? i'm still running on generator power and getting internet from my neighbor,
media hype???

gcarter
08-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Come on guys, not to minimize what you went through, but just imagine it w/150 MPH winds that go on for the better part of a day and then it goes on for another half day at lower levels.
Be grateful you don't get three of those suckers in one month like we did in '04 or so.
Or ask the Miami/Homestead folks about the aftermath of Andrew in '93.........

f_inscreenname
08-29-2011, 11:35 PM
You can keep them. I lost a 60+ foot 30 year old tree (and its still hung up in another and will need a crane to get out before it splits my neighbors outbuilding in half) and a couple more are questionable and seem to be leaning, kids and wife slept in the basement as the storm raged all night, lost power for 30+ hours, countless limbs and shredded leaves everywhere, etc, etc.
I was prepared. Cut a vacation short to get home from Maine Saturday (2am). Generator and gas ready to go. Big cooler full of ice. Couple trash cans full of water for the toilets. Plenty of food, drink........ And every minute of it sucked big time. :yes:
I hate it when someone says, you guys didn't get it that bad. Want to play that game? We also have the the possibility of having a couple feet of snow on the ground in 90 days? Along with the many, many 105 degree days we have had this summer. Or the 9+ inches of rain we got the last 2 weeks and that was before the 10+ inches of rain that came with the Irene. Then there was that little earthquake.
Again, you all can keep it. If I go through the rest of my life with nothing but boring sunny days and not have to retrieve one of my window shutters down the block I think I can live with that.

BUIZILLA
08-30-2011, 06:12 AM
whiners whiners whiners :shades:
try losing your power for 3 months, and living in your backyard for 7 months with two 24-7 gen set's, in a little camper with 2 young kids, 2 cats and a small dog, and bathing for 3 weeks in your swimming pool until the water was safe to drink, after which you drug all the living and dining room furniture out of it, and running a business with 13 employee's all in the same condition, and feeding the National Guard guys that protect you at night for 2 months, putting a 10 room house back together, and making that all work out..
and thats only one of the 15+ hurricanes i've been through to enjoy my seaweed infested boat ramps
:kingme:

dsparis
08-30-2011, 08:44 AM
https://www.artizans.com/images/previews/GRA392.pvw.jpg

Fishermanjm
08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
just remember that no one said that we had it worse than anyone else, or anythin like that, i simply said that its not just media hype,,, i truely am grateful that 85mph wind gusts came through not sustained 150mph all day winds. I have never in my life ever gone through anythin like that,,,
whiners???

mattyboy
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
here's a vid of the ramapo river last reports were it will crest tonight it was 30-40 feet above flood stage.
This is rt 17 between sloatsburg ny and harriman the river runs parrallel to rt 17 and the NY state thruway exit 15 to exit 16 about a 16 mile run. the port jervis rail line runs that course too the tracks are gone

the true toll of the storm has not been felt yet. this is my daily commuting route well not anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz4zxSzEsME

some other local damage
the southern end of rt 17 IN NY and a 20 cig washed off it's lift by the ramapo river

catch 22
08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Regardless of what some people might think about this storm being a WIMP and that the people up and down the eastern coastline may be WHINERS, because they didn't have 150+ mph winds, they were still dealing with a Hurricane non the less. What is this my Hurricane was worse than yours. These people are hurting and are going to be dealing with this for a long time to come. There has been loss of life, as well as property, and major flooding damage due to this so called WIMPY storm. Towns have been wiped out. I got in touch with George (Geeo) and for anybody who cares, Geeo and his family are OK. They have about 1ft of water in the basement and no power, but are hanging in there. He sent me some photos of his neighborhood. Gina and I pray that everyone who lives up north or may have family or friends up there are OK. You have a long road ahead, but we know you will get through this. GOD BLESS.

jvcobra
08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I feel very fortunate to not have any damage from the storm. Water rose higher then I have ever seen it but never got into the house and a tree missed my truck by a foot or two. There are some people around here that have not been so lucky, I would never try to trivialize their misfortune. Really surprised with some of the comments here from some respected members. :confused:

mattyboy
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Definetly a storm with 2 distinct sides. My daughter Jamie is east of us in new haven CT at about the same Latitude she got the higher winds and less rain we got some wind and a foot of rain on the west side of the storm..
major interstates are collapsed in NJ local roads in orange county are gone washed away.

the topology of the area is brutal for these heavy rains the hudson valley and the valley of the ramapo river are the drain in the bath tub all the run off in that part of the state go right thru it.

floyd was close but this storm definetly was worse and hurt the area. the last toal was about 40 dead because of Irene.

One story very sad in Rocland County. Father out checking the house for storm damage in rising waters, his young son wants to help, kid wanders to far playing in a puddle , down wires kid gets electrocuted the father rushes to him and falls the same fate the next door neighbor sees this and tries to help them but also electrocutes himself .

Kirbyvv
08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
My wife is trying to drive our son to college in New Hampshire today, and as the old New Englander's say, "you can't get there from here". She can't get across Vermont. Roads and Bridges are washed out, houses and businesses washed away. She just called me in tears, just because of the devestation and loss of livelyhood she is seeing. It may not have been a Cat 3 Hurricane, but there are alot of people with no place to live, no place to work, or no access because of washed away homes and washed out bridges and roads.

In Lake George near us there are areas that may not have power for weeks. We were very luck to loose a couple trees and that was it. We only lost power for a few hours, but don't have phone service. We had no idea how bad it was until we tried to take a drive to see, and couldn't get where we were going. One road was blocked by thousands of trees down, along with the power poles and wires. It was only a couple miles from our house. I wish I had a camera with me. Without seeing it, you can't imaging the damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJycvY5RNo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJycvY5RNo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP88...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP88s2WDyA&feature=related)

mattyboy
08-31-2011, 06:24 AM
add the home of abbott and costello, Paterson NJ to the list of victims of the hype. they are feeling the wrath of the passaic river which just crested this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv2DultK-ek

Fishermanjm
08-31-2011, 07:00 AM
matty, have you seen the vid of the covered bridges in Vt. goin down,,, one of them was the oldest covered bridge in the country
jim

Kirbyvv
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I heard that Vermont lost 4 covered bridges. I also just saw that the K-1 base lodge at Killington Ski Area got washed away.