PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe, CA Donzi owners

rossarnolaketahoeCA
08-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Tahoe Donzi owners,

There are few of us in the area, the further west you travel in the US people seem to seek Cobalt's and Formula's. I have been subjected to some high maintainence costs due to mooring on my pier and buoy during some unforseen swells not to mention the 6,200 feet altitude. My boat guy winterizes, shrink wraps, stores and does the whole nine yards over the past five years. Somehow moisture penetrates the engine during winter storage (boat stored in NV at elevation of 3,500 feet). I just had to replace the engine which cost a fortune. Should I have this transported to the Bay Area for winter storage?

*Also, any recommendations for custom carpet upgrades in the Sunnyside area? I want someone I can bring the carpet to and discuss options. No internet solicitations please. Thank you.

The Garwood's/TYC boat show this past weekend was fantastic. Some great Riva's/Chris Craft's from our own backyard.

Ross Arno

inlander
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Glad to see another Donzi owner in the area. I'm just down the hill from Tahoe near Placerville.

Check with this link. Superior Boat Repair & Storage. Much closer than S.F. and right off of US 50, in Rancho Cordova, about 2 hours from Lake Tahoe.
Total indoor storage. Huge storage building, but don't know it it is climate controlled or not.

http://www.superiorboatrepair.com (http://www.superiorboatrepair.com/)

zelatore
08-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Ross,

There are a few board memebers here in NorCal. Heck, I might have even seen your boat on it's mooring up at Tahoe though I haven't been up there (at least on the water) in a couple years. I also recall a 22 (?) that lived in a marina along the west side of the lake but don't remember what marina it was.

Locally, I'm in the delta as is Rumblefish and as mentioned above Inlander. I believe there are a couple others around as well but my memory fails me...not an unusual situation :bonk:Hollywood Hank also recently joined with an early Formula Jr. in the north bay.

How are the lake levels this year? I haven't looked, but with the snows we had this winter/spring I'm betting you're sitting pretty good.

mrfixxall
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Tahoe Donzi owners,

There are few of us in the area, the further west you travel in the US people seem to seek Cobalt's and Formula's. I have been subjected to some high maintainence costs due to mooring on my pier and buoy during some unforseen swells not to mention the 6,200 feet altitude. My boat guy winterizes, shrink wraps, stores and does the whole nine yards over the past five years. Somehow moisture penetrates the engine during winter storage (boat stored in NV at elevation of 3,500 feet). I just had to replace the engine which cost a fortune. Should I have this transported to the Bay Area for winter storage?

*Also, any recommendations for custom carpet upgrades in the Sunnyside area? I want someone I can bring the carpet to and discuss options. No internet solicitations please. Thank you.

The Garwood's/TYC boat show this past weekend was fantastic. Some great Riva's/Chris Craft's from our own backyard.

Ross Arno

Sorry to be so open minded but if your engine froze that would be your mechanics problem,,you paid him to do a service and it failed,,I have been winterizing boats for many years and our temps get way below zero all the time...I have not had any problems with the boats i have winterized..Sounds like either he just pulled the hoses and plugs and that was it,,also he may not have fogged the engine with oil if you had a compression problem..either way the boat should have been ran then drained,plugs put back in then run the engine to operating temperature in a antifreeze bath and stable in the fuel then the engine should have been fogged with fogging oil to prevent the cylinder walls and valves from rusting over the winter,,then replace the fuel water separator then change the oil in the drive and engine..

p.s. this year ask what the proceedure is for winterizing ,,if they dont use antifreeze then move on and find someone that does use it to winterize,,

Another option is to do it yourself or install a cloosed cooling system on the engine in the boat,,all you will have to worrie about is the heat exchanger to winterize and the fogging plus the engine oil and drive oil to be changed..

stephenw2
03-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Donzi Owners,

I’m looking at purchasing a 22 Classic and here in Northern CA, I’ve only seen 2 of the Classic’s. Lake Tahoe seems Ike a great spot to go boating, so looking for some other Donzi owners to tell me where they find the best place to enjoy the boat.

Regards,

Stephen

c-ski-donzi
03-07-2020, 10:18 PM
Ross, ironically, just this afternoon I was surfing info on the Lake Tahoe wooden boat festival... the Thunderbird is an amazing piece!! Hate to get off subject, but are there any events on the lake for classic 'glas, or just the woodies?

PS sorry to hear about the motor issues :-(