PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Portable gas tanks!!! Help?

300EVIL
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
So, after trying to repair all the leaks in my original aluminum fuel tank, I gave up and am one day going to have a tank made or leave it to a professional welder to repair. I just can't seem to stop them all.

Anyway, I bought a 6 gallon Attwood portable marine gas tank along with the Yamaha style check valve connections from walmart to at least get me on the water but I have a huge problem,,, it leaks like crazy!

It seems to be that the cap on it is only a one way valve to let air in while the gas is being consumed but as soon as the tank is sealed and the gasoline vaporizes inside the tank due to warm temps outside, it starts leaking fromthe seals!

Sure, I could most likely install a fitting for a vent hose but I don't seem to get how these portable tanks are supposed to work in the first place if they just pressurize and leak no matter what the application.

Any suggestions?????
Thanks!
Adam

This is the tank in question....

http://www.jmsonline.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/A/T/ATT-8806LP2.jpg

Walt. H.
08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Take it back to WalMart and exchange it, sounds like it's NFG and try another one since that tank doesn't know whether it's hooked to an o/b or your V-8 Ford.

McGary911
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd maybe spend a few bucks more and get one that's a bit better quality. A lot of stuff at WallyWorld is crap. I wouldn't want to go with one just like your failed one again. We're talking a gas tank, not a hat.

zelatore
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Agreed on both points. I've got a couple of portable tanks I've used in my dinghy with various outboards and I've never had one leak. I think you got a bad one.

Secondly, I avoid walmart at all costs. Personal reasons mostly, but the place just annoys the heck out of me in general.

Offset
08-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Probably a dumb response but is there not a relief valve in the center of the cap that you undo when using the tank. All the Merc tanks I have used have had that feature to equalize the pressure inside the tank. Never had any leaks. In fact I do not think the motor would run with it closed.

Good luck sorting this out.

MOP
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
One word! MOELLER they make the best portable tanks!

300EVIL
08-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess this is what I get for buying Wallmart "QUALITY" products. :boggled:

Well, I'll modify it for now. I do plan on buying a correct tank for it soon.
Thanks Again!
Adam