PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump and Switch Replacement

flxwhaler
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I have a 95 Classic 16 with a 4.3 V6 and I think the Sure Bail bilge pump switch and bilge pump need to be replaced (they are inoperable). my question is: how does one go about accessing these items which are mounted beneath the engine in such a small/confined engine compartment. how can you test them to even diagnose as they are almost impossible to reach. I assume they were rigged at the factory prior to engine installation/setup. Any hints/advice as to how best to tackle this problem--short of hiring a horse jockey from Churchill Downs to crawl in there? Any input is appreciated.
-Donziola

MOP
08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
16's are tight but rewarding when you get one of these things under your belt! Getting in the bilge is tough, I had my 16 for three years. Changed a starter, fuel pump and alternator also the cursed bilge pump. How I got to things under the engine was to lay a movers blanket over the engine, I would then shimmy across the top and hang down. If you have all you need stashed next to the stringer most jobs go better than expected. Most bilge pumps have a clip in base allowing fairly easy removal, but before you get that far why not find the pumps electrical connections and cut them loose. Once loose you can supply both power and a good ground, see what works and what don't! Rarely does the pump and switch go bad together! If the pump has been dry for a long time it may need a tap and some water to pump get it alive, the switch should be checked with a meter they are go or no go! Start with the connections that is where most pump issues lie.

Phil

flxwhaler
08-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks Phil for the insight. I'll give it a shot.