PDA

View Full Version : Ski Sporter outdrive trouble

smbarcelow
08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
A little help? While hammering my Ski Sporter (ZZ4 Chevy 350 crate engine) out of a turn, I was approaching 5,200 RPM's when something "let loose" and my revs hit about 6 grand. I was able to idle home but attempting to plane out resulted in free revs and a coasting vessel. Upon putting it on the lift, I noticed that the steering helmet fastener on the outdrive (Volve 270) had backed part way out. I don't know if that's significant or merely coincidence. The gear oil looks clear with no sparkly stuff. Any ideas before I start disassembling? Thanks in advance.

Carl C
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
spun prop hub? Make alignment marks and water test to see if they move.

smbarcelow
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks, Carl.

smbarcelow
08-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Am I correct to assume that I should mark the prop in relation to the cone to determine if it's slipping?

Donzi Vol
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Fix the steering helmet. I just reinforced mine. Don't want it letting lose while under way!

Carl C
08-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure how you'd mark a volvo prop. Someone here will know.

mattyboy
08-12-2011, 05:20 PM
a volvo ultra prop??? if it had the original volvo hub yes you spun the hub. a visual inspection should reveal black ooze around the hub prop joint. I would replace with another prop to test. the original volvo ultra hub were weak and spun under normal loads. Find a good prop shop and have them press a michigan hub into it

smbarcelow
08-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll let you know what I find out.

Oh, and I think it's the original Volvo hub with an Ultra SS prop. I've got an aluminum prop, too, which I assumed was the original.

smbarcelow
08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, I made a mark on the prop and the cone. After running it on the lift and having it "slip" a couple times, the mark on the cone was 180 degrees off from the one on the prop. Looks like I spun the hub. Thanks again for the advice. You guys always come through. :yes:

mattyboy
08-13-2011, 08:22 AM
just a note here. your avg. prop shop is going to press another volvo hub into it, this will fail as well. Once a volvo hub is spun they are more prone to spin again. A good prop shop will be able to press a michigan hub which is a more stout prop hub connection not quite a solid hub but alot stronger than the stock one.

smbarcelow
08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks, MB. I'll be sure to go with a Michigan hub.

smbarcelow
08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Can anybody recommend a good prop shop in or around West Michigan?

mrfixxall
08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Can anybody recommend a good prop shop in or around West Michigan?

you can try the guy that labbs and does all my prop work on my ultras..have him tweak it while he has it,,you wont be sorry..i have picked up on a average 6 mph when he labbs them..he is in wi..

http://www.dahpropellers.com/

smbarcelow
08-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Is the Michigan hub that several people have mentioned made by Michigan Wheel Marine in Grand Rapids, Michigan? If so, they're only about a 1/2 hour away.

biggiefl
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I doubt they will repair a prop but worth a call. You can mail a prop to any shop(Hill, General, etc) and they will repair and mail it back. If you can tweak it I can't see why you won't get low 60's +