PDA

View Full Version : This should be mandatory viewing for all .......

Greg Guimond
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
74mph .........:eek:

Marlin275
08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
http://youtu.be/h0utBfPhtjg

Marvair
08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Years ago I had a friend that had a really cool jet boat and discovered a strange thing he could do while running wide open, like.....putting the jet in reverse and feathering the throttle to force the bow to touch the water. He'd do it to random passengers just to freak-um out.....till he decided to stand on the throttle too long and stuck the bow like a bad jump. It ripped out the front two seats and the dash cut up both legs not to mention nearly sinking the boat......It's cool when it's not "your stuff".

Marvin.

BUIZILLA
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
a good friend of mine, Mark Bowman, had a flat bottom jet with a 460 Ford, and his reverse gate engaged at WOT on the river at Parker AZ in front of his river house, and slammed him into the dash, and his son went under the dash, the boat then slowly sank... the kid almost died, and Mark's injuries were permanent... Mark is dead now, but this incident really screwed him up, and his son is disabled for life..

Walt. H.
08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
74mph .........:eek:
It's known as "Submarine-ing" and the last thing you remember seeing is the green wall of water rolling up over Da' deck. Ugh & it ain't fun, especially if the deck separates!

Ps. Check out the :50 sec spot of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw6a63JGTC8&feature=fvst

yeller
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Scaring looking video....and scary stories.

Buizilla, how did the guys reverse gate engage at WOT? Was it hydraulic? Not questioning the story, just curious how it could happen.

When I was running WOT with my jet I couldn't drop the reverse gate if I wanted to. Too much water pressure. The only way I could do it at speed was pull off the throttle, drop it, then hammer the throttle.

Walt. H.
08-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Here's a pic of a jet doing a full throttle reverse.

f_inscreenname
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Broke a steering cable doing about 50 once. Not as bad as tunneling a wave but still sucked.

Greg Guimond
08-11-2011, 06:09 AM
A lot of folks that are new to performance boating don't realize how quickly things can happen. These guys are world class drivers and still tripped. Amazing that they survived. Put this clip into the USCG course for a wake up call. One minute, running flat and perfect, next minute :shocking:

BUIZILLA
08-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Buizilla, how did the guys reverse gate engage at WOT? Was it hydraulic? Not questioning the story, just curious how it could happen.

When I was running WOT with my jet I couldn't drop the reverse gate if I wanted to. Too much water pressure. The only way I could do it at speed was pull off the throttle, drop it, then hammer the throttle. I don't really know what transpired, I had been in the boat on the same river, and at Havasu a few weeks prior to that, and didn't see any issues, he had a shifter on the side like a Morse unit, and it had a foot throttle...when the gate engaged it had so much water force over the bow that Mark's throttle foot broke the pedal loose from the floor, and it was ugly ugly ugly after that...

I had a Sugar Sand jet boat a few years back, and i'm tellin' ya I could engage the reverse just by reversing the throttle very easily for joy spins, I did it ALL the time...

Greg Guimond
08-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Wow Jim, I'm no Jet guy but they seem to have a few "issues"

mattyboy
08-11-2011, 06:40 AM
We had a friend who was part of the group at the community beach that we all hung out with. His family owned the Donzi dealer on our lake in the Early 70's . In the late 70's he had a challenger that was a BB I/O boat.

He tripped the transom and stuffed the boat. The force of the impact threw him forward into the dash and wheel breaking the wheel and forcing all the air out of him. They searched for him for days. sad story. RIP

As a teenager This was the event that taught me going fast on the water is dangerous and things go wrong quickly.

gcarter
08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Not me!
No way!
You guys that want to go over 80 MPH in a hull form designed in the '50's to go 60 MPH, can have it.

Anti-stuffing vanes, I wonder how well they work?

http://fbdesign.it/img/history-home.jpg

Carl C
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Not me!
No way!
You guys that want to go over 80 MPH in a hull form designed in the '50's to go 60 MPH, can have it.

Anti-stuffing vanes, I wonder how well they work?

http://fbdesign.it/img/history-home.jpg

Maybe on an aluminum hull. Otherwise I see them breaking off and leaving two gaping holes! As far as the over 80 remark....no comment! :)

Walt. H.
08-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Those Anti-stuffing vanes can also cause a "blow over" on offshore race boats unless they're steerable like the ones used on hydroplanes and some top/fuel dragboats.

Greg Guimond
08-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Yes, probably would act just like a sail as the speed mounts? The thing I think is informative about the European race boat stuff is that they are running a SS and still got tripped by a "little one". Once last year I saw what looked to be about a 23 footer almost bury the snout misjudging the rollers spacing at about 60mph.

gcarter
08-12-2011, 09:04 AM
The anti stuffing vanes are way too small to have much effect in air, IMHO. They are quite small in relation to the scale of the boat they're attached to.
They don't have to be very big to work in water.
Remember water is about a jillion times denser than air.
Also remember that Buzzi understands air foils very well as he was the designer /builder that had the large wing positioned over the cockpit on some of his boats in the '90's, I think.

CHACHI
08-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Remember water is about a jillion times denser than air.

George, just so I am clear on this, how many zeros is a jillion.

Ya see I am having issues when the government is talking a trillion.

But I think it is just me.

Ken

zelatore
08-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't know how much lift those vanes would cause, but I know I've driven some tunnel hulls that got so light at high speed it felt like a 5 year old could have lifted the nose up and over. And the truth is it was probably pretty planted compared to how the 'experienced' guys can fly those things! :eek:

Since V's don't blow over nearly as easily I doubt they'd be much of an issue as mounted in the pic.

But by the same token I have to wonder if they'd really help if you stuffed the bow. That's a massive shock load and by the time you get them into the water I think it might be too late to stop the thing from submarining. Seems like some sort of smaller but lower technology might be better. Sort of like a series of lifting strakes. But then again, I'm just talking out of my ass and Buzzi does this sort of thing for a living.

Ghost
08-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I think George is right about them creating a HUGE amount of lift in contact with water. For strength, you could make a solid piece and run it all the way through the hull, and then glass and bolt it in.

I don't know how much unwanted bow lift it would create in ordinary running, from air flow.

If you wanted to get all crazy and goldplate/overengineer, you could keep it level in normal conditions, and give it a drive mechanism to RAPIDLY change the attitude of the planes if the boat reaches a certain downangle, like firing an airbag.

That's about as far out of my a$$ as I feel like talking now. Seems like more than enough. :)

gcarter
08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
George, just so I am clear on this, how many zeros is a jillion.

Ya see I am having issues when the government is talking a trillion.

But I think it is just me.

Ken

A jillion is very flexable, it's as many as you want to have.....
Kind of like "new math"! :)

Carl C
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Dammit, George, now you've got me thinking about weather a small wing on the top of the bow could create beneficial bow lift.......

gcarter
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
A conventional hull stays above water utilizing "reserve buoyncy" i.e., as the boat dives, there's more hull still above the water and eventually the buoyancy overcomes the tendency to dive and it rises.
The vanes work in the same manor, as soon as the vanes touch the water, the hull is lifted by the force created by the vanes. I suspect it happens VERY quickly.
Remember.......water is incompressable!:yes:

gcarter
08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Dammit, George, now you've got me thinking about weather a small wing on the top of the bow could create beneficial bow lift.......

Uhhhhhhh...........NO!:)