PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins..."The Ultimate" project

Scott Pearson
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Ok...The hull restoration is about to start:eek:. Swapped trailers today so the boat is supported right. Dave Hartman (Hornet Marine) was kind enough to let me barrow his St. Tropez trailer...Thanks Dave!
Next in line....All new stringers, Bulk heading, Transom and Coring...(Hulls sides and hull bottom are all cored (Turbo Boat):bonk:. This will be a 2-3 year restoration...If I live that long...:confused:

realbold
08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Good luck and try not to get too depressed if it takes longer. Most projects do.

mdonzi
08-10-2011, 04:57 PM
looks good keep on it and post lots pic wish i could get in gear to do mine what is the hull and sides cored with

mrfixxall
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Congrats for a project long over due,,good luck with the process scott..

DonziChris
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Good luck Scott, Can't wait to see the finished product.

One very cool boat.

Chris

BUIZILLA
08-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I never knew the whole transom was yellow?

mattyboy
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
nice, I got 50 bucks says I'll finish my hornet first. nice trailer looking for just about the same for mine.

gonna be something special when she's done still going lime green hornet??? :yes:

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys...Hull and sides are cored with 1/2 inch balsa. Thats what it will be replaced with also. All balsa and wood will be removed and replaced...its just so far gone that nothing can be saved. Still might add one large bulk head between dash and bow from stringers to deck for added support. Not sure yet.

Still torn between Lime Green or Yellow as color. It will have a black deck and boot stripe. Black interior and steering wheel. I really like the lime green... it will make it look like a 60's muscle car.

Entire transom will be painted black again with "The Ultimate" in gold leaf.

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Some rusty mess pictures...planned on removing prop shaft yesterday morning before trailer swap...ended up cutting it off! Just would not budge.

I took these pictures of the rusty mess!

mattyboy
08-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I have some supplies and tools you might need left over from my hornet project

You're more than welcome to have

the motor stand, some assorted parts and pieces, the toilet, and the mini fridge

pretty much everything you need for the project someplace to rest your beer, keep your beer cold, and get rid of the beer once you're done with it.

:beer: :p :yes:

gcarter
08-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Will the stringers be attached to the hull and and core around them?

Worthy project!
I wish you well.

Greg Guimond
08-11-2011, 06:57 AM
One vote for Lime Green Scott!

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Will the stringers be attached to the hull and and core around them?

Worthy project!
I wish you well.

Yes...thats how Its planned. Thank you!

Sweet Cheekz
08-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Matty
Don't you have some spare wire you pulled out of your boat too?

Scott
Looks like a fun project to me. One vote for a forward bulkhead
Also Wendy and I are going with a lime green trim over purple on our Magnum. Totally agree on the 60's muscle car color.
Good luck and keep the pics coming
Parnell

f_inscreenname
08-11-2011, 09:33 AM
WOW! What a great project.
You may want to check out this web site. http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html (http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html)

Donziweasel
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Great project. Have you tried Coosa board? Used it for part of my transom and stringers in the Critter. Great stuff. Sucks up resin like a sponge, very light and shapes real nice. I have some left over if you want me to send ya some. Just give me paint advice in return........ :)

Morgan's Cloud
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Another masterpiece in the making .. not forgetting about you either George ..

Since when did Donzi do hull coring on a classic ?

silverghost
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Scott~
Glad you finally decided to go ahead with your "the Ultimate" Benchseat Hornet restoration.

Now~~~
if you could only find an original Daytona Marine Twin Turbo Small Block ?

There is a guy in Calif who claims to own one that I spotted on a google web search.

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Another masterpiece in the making .. not forgetting about you either George ..
Since when did Donzi do hull coring on a classic ?

All the Turbo Charged Bench Seat Hornets were 1/2 cored down all sides and hull bottom. The called it "High Impact Fiber Glass".

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Great project. Have you tried Coosa board? Used it for part of my transom and stringers in the Critter. Great stuff. Sucks up resin like a sponge, very light and shapes real nice. I have some left over if you want me to send ya some. Just give me paint advice in return........ :)

John,
Thanks for the offer:)! I'm old school when it comes to stringers and coring. Just cant get away from a proven product. Also it will be ALL polyester resin.

mattyboy
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
actually with that one picture facing fwd on the lift, i think redoing the black trim lines as is might look good all lime green high gloss black stripes just as they are now. black transom goldleaf ultimate. then a purplish lens cover on the docking lights to look like bug eyes.

Scott Pearson
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
actually with that one picture facing fwd on the lift, i think redoing the black trim lines as is might look good all lime green high gloss black stripes just as they are now. black transom goldleaf ultimate. then a purplish lens cover on the docking lights to look like bug eyes.

Purple Lens...you kidding right....:lookaroun:

Morgan's Cloud
08-11-2011, 08:21 PM
All the Turbo Charged Bench Seat Hornets were 1/2 cored down all sides and hull bottom. The called it "High Impact Fiber Glass".

Interesting .. Honestly , I've never heard of any cored classic hulls before and coincidentally , the brochure for the St T says that it's built of 'high impact fibre glass' and I can assure you (as you already know) that my St T aint cored !

This is going to be another fun resto to follow , for sure .

scippy
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Scott, I'm still available..........I have lots of grinding experience since we last spoke :bonk: :bonk::bonk: If you need any kind of help, just give me shout.

mattyboy
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Purple Lens...you kidding right....:lookaroun:

no I am not dead serious all bugs have multi colored eyes I think it would look gnarly.

mrfixxall
08-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Scott, I'm still available..........I have lots of grinding experience since we last spoke :bonk: :bonk::bonk: If you need any kind of help, just give me shout.

if its as bad as scott said it is i dont think he will need to grind to get the old coring and glass out..usually a panel cutter on a air chisel and a wide flat bit the and glass will come rite off..then grind what is left over..

pipnit
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
She's going to be amazing! :worthy::woot::woot::worthy:

superhatz
08-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Looking forward to this thread. Scott...was the original color, yellow, like "The Sting"?

What power is it getting?

-Aaron

Scott Pearson
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes, Its the same color as "The Sting" Except it had black boot and deck stripe and black interior with a black steering wheel.

I plan on installing a blown, injected big block chevy.

Jraysray
08-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Black interior and steering wheel. I really like the lime green... it will make it look like a 60's muscle car.

Take it from me ALL BLACK INTERIOR is freakin HOT! Be prepared to leave some skin behind. I have black everything and prob will got to a lighter color.

Scott Pearson
09-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Deck is shored up and all saging is corrected. Next step is to finish the deck jig and glass it to the top side before removing deck.

silverghost
09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Scott~
Are you going to stick with the original V-Drive inboard configuration ~~
Or change The Ultimate over to I/O configuration like The Sting you restored ; or Matty's project I/O Benchseat Hornet ?

Since you are totally recoring & adding new stringers & transom wood it might be just as easy to swap over to an I/O drive.
I suspect the boat would be worth more long term as a future collectable "antique" boat as an original as built V-Drive.

What are your thoughts ?

Scott Pearson
09-17-2011, 04:19 PM
The boat will remain a V-Drive. I have never had any intentions on making it an I/O. Its just to rare of a boat to alter.

mattyboy
09-17-2011, 09:45 PM
looks good , nice jigs,

silverghost
09-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Scott~

I think you have made the right choice keeping your "the Ultimate" a V-Drive as originally built.
Collectable value is in 100% originality.
Now~~~
If you could only find an original Daytona Twin Turbo race engine ?
These Benchseat Hornets are sure to become very collectable boats with future "Antique" boat collectors.
The early rare fiberglass boats are just being discovered, and actually shown, at various antique boat show venues.
Prior to this~~only the wooden & mahogny classics were of interest to these collectors.
This seems to be changing rapidly now as the younger collectors come on board.
You want what was around when you were a kid~but could not afford to buy, or own & insure, at that time.
Just like 60s &70s musclecars.

I like the idea of adding an extra bulkhead, or two. to support that very long front deck.
This is exactly what the fiberglass race boat buiders did to stiffen-up their offshore race boats.
I suspect the old race Hornets might have had added additional deck supports , or bulkhead stiffeners ?

Brownie, or others, could tell us all about this ?

If not a blukhead~~~ I would at the very least add one, or two, deck support beam supports of some sort spaced midway from the cockpit/dash to the bow.
These coud be hand laminated directly of the underside of the deck itself.

With such very long un-supported deck why depend only on the deck's shape & it's balsa core and it's deck thickness for stiffness ?

This is espically important if you go with big power and use this boat at very fast speeds in rough water.
Especially if you go for Big Air & splash-down landings often.

I look foreward to viewing future posts & photos on your restoration progress.

Now~~~
Can you out-do yourself from the fantastic restoration work you did on the Benchseat Hornet "the Sting" ??

I'm betting you CAN !

There may also possibly be a "Benchseat 18" project in your future; waiting on the sidelines.

Greg Guimond
09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I really like the idea of the lime green color with black set off stripes. Not so sure on the black interior but I wonder if there are new age materials that would allow you to use black and still dissapate heat so you don't fry your kiester and still maintain an authentic look. Then you could go black interior with lime green pipeing which IMO would really tie it together. Looking forward to the progress.

superhatz
09-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Well said Brad. I totally agree that these rare, early fiberglass boats will become as collectible as some of the wood stuff. I hope more and more of them get restored correctly and in the original style.

-Aaron

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Scott , awsome project .:cool!:

mattyboy
09-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I wish I could agree with the idea that these boats will be collectibiles one day but I have been hearing that for over a decade. The world of muscle cars or vintage wood boats is always referenced, but they really have no similarities at all. Cars are America's love affair everyone has or needs a car. The car craze is a much wider group, judging from the tunout at the adirondack nat'ls that is most surely true. generations from people in the 70's+ to kids in their teens with their first car are there and they share the expierence mutually.

when it comes to the high seas so to speak in the boating world the term is bantied about as long as your out on the water, and seamanship, rendering aid to those in distress and helping out fellow boaters. While I do believe there are true boaters that do live by that motto while out on the water,when it comes to the docks or the social scene it is every man to himself.

Socially at a car show you see ford .chevy and mopar guys all mingling all working to improve their cars and their cars value by working on them. They really are in the same boat. Is their friendly rivalies sure but they know what is good for the goose is good for the gander if chevy values go up so to ford and mopar.

Now we come to the boating world which speaks of seamanship and unity of all who boat.

the Boating world is a divided, keep to your own, nose in the air,look down on the world , Judge Smails kind of world.

your either a blow boater, a cruiser, a go fast ,a pwc or a float boater or a woody.
very rarely to you see those worlds meet and co-mingle at a show or socially at the docks.

There are some exceptions but not many. The wood guys have included some early glass boats but this is more to get more money at shows by increasing the gate.

things I would like to see that would indicate to me that the value
and collectibilty is there would be

The acbs move their criteria for membership from 1972 to 1980.

I would like to see more projects sell that would lead me to believe more people have the "feeling" that they believe these boat will gain in value

A nationwide or regional auctions for boats of all types to test the waters for value (Barret jackson).

til that happens i will say that these boats are collectible and vaulable to a very small group of people who have an appreciation for these boats. This very small group is also willing to spend money to preserve and restore them.Is still up in the air if this investment will justify itself.

jl1962
09-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Well said Matty.

I think the key to any "toy" is to use it and enjoy it. A boat is not an investment. That said, friends of mine who have made big money in cars or vintage guitars got involved b/c they love them. I even know a Ferrari guy who was sad that his cars became so valuable that he almost couldn't drive them.

That should only happen to us!

But I think it is important to be out there, be seen - ACBS was very receptive to me when I broke the "mahogany barrier" several years ago at a Lake George show. Use your boat and enjoy it. We are lucky that Donzi has the cache that it does and is the marque that it is. Classic glass will get its day - but in the meantime, don't quit your day job!

"Nice jigs" - now that's funny :)

-Jay

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
From what i understand www.antiqueboat.com (http://www.antiqueboat.com) ( news letter) the market for classic Automobile's is getting very hard and slim to find that special vehicle to be able to do that total restoration which has left the door open for wooden boat's, and maybe some day down...................the road fiberglass classics will come into play ,and with that in mind i also hope to be hauling a new piece of junk home very soon .:yes:

mattyboy
09-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Jay,

by far the best way to look at it . it's a boat first to be used and enjoyed. A donzi will hold it's value above most smaller boats and with that the cost of ownership for the older classics can be re-couped on re-sale.It is always good to see that we really don't have trailer queens. Seeing your 16 , Kenny's Cig and Pearson's 18 all in mint shape , show ready but being used and not totally babied is great.

Ginger
i can only hope that the craze will filter down with the lack of true worthy project cars and wooden boats that glass will gain in value.

The value is more sentimental or emotional than monetary and if kept in that perspective will also be more rewarding

joseph m. hahnl
09-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Funny how the original non wood production boats get absolutely no attention.
before glass became so prominent, there were a few aluminum boat manufactures. Crap they even had a stunt group "watch the Video". I own a 1958 Feather Craft Hawk II . People love it, but is it worth thousands to a collector, Very doubtful.

These guys where the blue angles of the boat world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5plWYLFFAU

Sorry Scott for the hijack:kingme:

gcarter
09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I just passed four years on the TR restoration. It would have gone faster if the economy hadn't petered out, but it's still a long process to do a thorough restoration.
I would love to get my investment back out of it and about $1.00/hour of time spent, but there aren't many folks lining up to pay $40+K for a 24 year old glass boat.
I wish it were different.

Greg Guimond
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
A car can be driven anywhere, and at anytime.

A boat...........can't

This is why they will never appreciate like cars.

superhatz
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
There's a difference between collectible and valuable.

That said...Scott should have his thread back. Cool boat...one of the coolest.

BUIZILLA
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
look at the current price of nice Chris Craft Cobra's, original or restored...

and they made more of those than Criterions or Vdrive Hornets

some day grasshopper, some day....

Mecum is doing tractors now, restored or original, the auction examples are unbelievably cool

we need to do the same for Donzi's

Buddyc
09-18-2011, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]Well said George and Greg. We dont do what we do for the money we will hope to make. For me is was always for the love of the craft. George,Your boat is restored better than it would have been brand new off the factory floor... I hate to see you ever let her go.

Greg Guimond
09-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I have many times thought it would be worth it for Scott or George (or both) to connect with Mecum or B-J and have a "lets do something different" conversation. If you linked in with the correct sequence of rare auto iron, there is no doubt that the quality of the work Scott does would ride an excellent wave into some strong bidding. Emotion would wreak havoc with a bidders wallet if the boat was properly sandwiched in between period correct iron. That would be the best way to get a high water dollar amount in my opinion.

scippy
09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Couple of Maltese Magnums offered up this month @ Mecum auction. Maybe George & Scott can do the same.
http://mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?startrow=49&AUCTION_ID=LG0911&consignday=all&lottype

mattyboy
09-19-2011, 07:15 AM
I can't see how collectible and valuable can be seperated in the core of this discussion. the collectible has some value to the collector,either therapuetic,sentimental,emotional or monetary. bottle caps,coins ,stamps,cars the collection as a value or worth to the collector. the only collection that has no value to the collector would be the trash collection and the trash collector but maybe that even has a value somewhere theres a payday in it for him.

first three statements made about any collection how big it is ,how long it has been collected and what it is worth/valued at.

Scott when you're ready for a hand let me know. I never noticed your docking lights are in a different spot then mine .

superhatz
09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Oh, never mind.

mattyboy
09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Scott ,
I'll be cleaning up the garage and putting the spare parts I have from my hornet project to the side for you if you need them.

I was really surprised the factory crapper option the added storage boxes and the factory foam coring kept my boat pretty solid over the years.

keep posting pics,let me know when you need me to come down there and drink beer while I watch you work ;)

mattyboy
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Scott found this color lime green , this would look pretty wild on a hornet with black i don't like the stripe color on this camaro.

or are you going with a flat green and black?

biggiefl
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
How rare is a 80's bench seat Hornet? http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2608375510.html

Matty who's Camaro is that? Reason I ask is Motion was big in the 60's & 70's with Corvette race bodies and custom fabricated bodies. I have not heard or seen that logo in YEARS. My friend has an original Motion 70LTI ragtop. I think it had that logo on the valve covers or someplace.

mattyboy
09-20-2011, 03:47 PM
that boat has a benchseat but is not a benchseat hornet. in short a benchseat hornet is a single benchseat not a front and back benchseat. the boat pictured if an 87 should be a hornett III they made the hornet in a few flavors over the years. they are not common boats and not produced as much as the 16 18 and 22 so all of them are some what rare but the early true benchseat are very rare.

the hornet 19 came in benchseat and a 2+3 seating like an 18 or 22

the hornet II 20 came in a front walk thru benchseat and a rear benchseat

the hornet III 21 same seating as a hornet II just a foot longer

the camaro came off of a chevy dealers site

Buddyc
09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey Scott,
Im sure your going to use PPG on her for whatever colors. Bc/Cc?
The green Matty is talking about is nice. Take a look at House of Kolor. As im sure you already know thier Shimrin Basecoats are easy to work with and will give you the flexability to modify it with a dry pearl or metalflake. hey have an intercoat clear that is great for layered work!

1996Z15
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

That Camaro belongs to Joel Rosen of Motion Performance fame. It is the first Gen 5 Camaro (Phase III Camaro) that was built.

mattyboy
09-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Scott,
looking at the structural upgrades to the sting i would go with exactly the same.
I would not add any structural bulkheads in the foredeck area, A correctly cored deck with the correct hardware on the lift ring will be all the support the deck needs. This will also allow you to continue to use the ample ski locker area for storage.

I found a 632 ci BB chevy 750hp turn key $18k

have you considered a gas turbine??

mattyboy
09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
The more I think about you color combo the more I like it. a bright non met. lime green with black would be awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94921703@N00/3587780321/

I also think the inverse would look awesome too an all black boat bright lime green water and deck stripes

Scott Pearson
09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Plans are for a Blown, Injected Big Block Chevy with dry exhaust and all the goodies:)

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVVe2tltuRs

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FRT0tTBZHg

This is sick...wait until 2:08 marker...unreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9-cpMpkth8

mattyboy
09-22-2011, 06:09 PM
:eek: you go with that first one and we're gonna have to do some hatch work!

BUIZILLA
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
the LG Noise Police will just luv ya...

would be cool with NACA ducted 5" under hull exhaust though..

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.botar.us/foto/greenhornet.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OBmKtukIGAA/TTy2g0urABI/AAAAAAAABQQ/jYr-R1W9-Sc/s1600/green_hornet_logo.jpghttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm7rvpdMPSLXYfq4mxZ6xxpEarZxjH9 mQtygHApWAgw-M2egMf3cNJ9zEKjQ

Scott Pearson
09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Jim...they will need to catch me first!!!:crossfing::hyper:

BUIZILLA
09-22-2011, 07:27 PM
all the blowers in the world won't outrun a radio... :nilly: :tongue:

gcarter
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
"all the blowers in the world won't outrun a radio..." :nilly: :tongue:

That definately has a ring of truth to it.....

Buddyc
09-22-2011, 11:02 PM

A loud ring of truth. Doesn't lake George frown on those types of exhaust? I'm sure you can find a way to put mufflers on it. ;)

mattyboy
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
it's good to be the President :yes:

Buddyc
09-23-2011, 07:48 AM
For some reason I cant get the old cartoon out of my head. Remember the big bulldog that had a little terrier as his friend. Chester and spike... The bulldog did everything and all the terrier wouldnt shut up ...lol :wink:

http://youtu.be/ov-1S8Xxd94

mattyboy
09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
good one Buddy LOL

Scott Pearson
09-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Wad...

gcarter
09-24-2011, 11:35 AM
So, after thinkiing about this, I realized that Scott is building another "WA-LO"!!!!!!

The main difference is WA-LO is BBF blown w/a Roots blower, and Scott's will be Chevy powered.

Having seen WA-LO, it's a bench seat w/ a fairly large BBF, blower, and two Holleys.
It sounds pretty strong (understatement), develops over 900 HP, and will go about 85 MPH.
Yes, it's a Vee-drive.

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm with Matty, Mopar sublime green and black...wicked to say the least. If your girl wants a matching boat, go with Mopar panther pink & black.

Scott Pearson
09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
George,
Your right on track. Also, WA-LO is a 2+3 Hornet.

Morgan's Cloud
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Summa you guys are too funny .. With ONE exception , not counting Matty , who's just humouring you all , Pearson knows EXACTLY what he's going to do , how he's going to do it and why .

Ask all the questions you want , but the path of this restoration was laid out a long time ago and in every detail.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. The end result is going to be stunning. But don't think any of your reccomendations are going to be taken seriously .

Morgan's Cloud
09-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes Carl , pretty much so ...

I've done a few of these myself and not one person ever made a suggestion that I hadn't already thought of. And Pearson is prolly a lot better than I am .

Like I said , ask questions .. but advice ? It's a done deal , and none of us will be dissappointed when it's finished .

Hey , where did Carl's post go ??? This aint gonna make much sense now ..

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Morgan's Cloud, I did not see what Carl C posted but I think your point is that there are only a select handful of true professionals in the world of Donzi restorations and you count yourself as one of them. I wish I had been active on the board when you did your restorations so I could have followed them. I find it awesome to watch work like Pearson's and George C's as it shows just how much talent some folks have :yes:

Morgan's Cloud
09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Greg , I've been here long enough to know that there are plenty of people on this board who might misinterpret my remark and get their knickers in a twist , I don't think you're one of them though.

No , I don't consider myself some sort of 'king of restos' but I know the difference between people who ask dumb questions and talk cr*p all over the board ,and then have the gall to tell someone else (who knows their trade) how to do their restoration .

Scott has this down pat and nuttin that we lot 'advise' or 'recommend' , or 'suggest' is likely going to change his course.

I , for one , look forward to the progress and learning a few new tricks along the way , but I'm not going to suggest to a guy who knows his stuff what he 'should do' and risk making myself looking like a fool.

Like I've already said , this is going to be flawless an we can all enjoy the journey .

And your last sentence is right on the money !

gcarter
09-24-2011, 05:41 PM
It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly, Steve got one of his creations written about in a magazine.

I believe the article was posted on here maybe 5 or 6 years ago.
Maybe he knows where it is.........

Carl C
09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Morgan's Cloud, yes I deleted my post shortly after putting it up. It was worded too harshly. My point was that it seemed that you were saying to not add any input but just sit back and watch the project but these projects always scream out for input and discussion and even suggestions. That's all :).

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 06:31 PM
That would be a cool article to read if anyone has it George. Agree with you 'Cloud, as I have searched the archives also very well executed work done by folks like Conquistador_del_mar, Sweet Cheekz and Eugene Nahemow on projects past. It is not always easy to search up stuff that has been done, and when you do it's pretty humbling :redface: but also fires up the imagination.

I'm looking forward to watching Pearson's thread.........no more errant posts.

Buddyc
09-24-2011, 06:37 PM

I can only speak for myself Carl. I think your right on point. I know and respect most of your opinions... I have learned ally so far and always willing to .learn more.
Morgan also makes a lot of sense... I know there is nothing I can suggest that would even get a second thought.. to each his own. It won't stop me from checking in though...

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
You guys , really Kill me ...because 99% of you .....really are only hobbyists .......who restore's one boat at a time ...................... and each ,and everyone of you ......are all experts ....when it comes to doing a restoration which might take years to do considering .... you have a day time job ,and without mentioning any names .....there are a chosen few on this board who really rock for there age , and the boats they want to restore or have done . Once again , to those experts ....on this board .....who have done this,and done that ............................... well.................................

mrfixxall
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Where did this statment come from?? :boggled:

Talk about pissing in someones weedeeeeees...

Rock on scott,looking forward to future pics..

OFFSHORE GINGER
09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Fixx , did you ever here the word.......K.M.A ......and after reading the last few post's on this thread , i .....rest my case ......

gcarter
09-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Well Artie, I'm a hobbiest w/a day job. I've never done this professionally.
Further more, I don't wnat to. I'd rather die than to think the rest of my life was fixing someone's boat.
I'd much rather have my own business and do this stuff for fun.

Morgan's Cloud
09-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Offshore Gin .. You're absolutely right . From a pro's perspective most of are just hobbyists , that's why I enjoy your posts that really get to the nitty gritty of a serious repair or resto job. You probably have difficulty sometimes keeping your lip buttoned reading some of this stuff .. :biggrin:

Carl , no , I didn't think your post was worded harshly . There was nothing really 'incorrect' with what you said.

Fixx .. the new board doesn't seem to do the quote thingy any more , so I don't know who you were referencing there . But I'm sure it wasn't me ... :angel:

And despite anything that George's wife might say about him , his memory is still pretty good. I can't remember where that post is , or who put it up , but it's there somewhere ,probably attached to my user name. I think it was Hot Boat July 2000/ maybe 2001 ..

But like Offshore G says .. purely as a hobbyist .

And finally , I hate it when threads get derailed ! lol

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Was it not Ginger who had the 16 with a pad....was that a maxi-pad?:hyper:

gcarter
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Nick, I think it was Ed Donnelley's 16 you're thinking of.
Betty Cook drove to over 100 MPH.

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I love that grandma....if she were only younger. Imagine "Nick" on the other side of the boat. My friend just threw out(I saved) a BUNCH of boating and powerboat mags from the 80's....she was GOD. I remember seeing the minihawk 12' with the KAAMA logo going I WANT ONE!!!

Greg Guimond
09-24-2011, 09:06 PM
So much for keeping things on track.............yikes :frown:

scippy
09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I enjoy following an interesting restoration, especially if it's a rarified bird like this one.
boat lover, hobbyist or critical complainer..............Wouldn't it be boring if Scott said,
"I'm keeping it green".............you know, environment wise.:yes:

biggiefl
09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey the holeshot on a Steyr hybrid engine would be SICK!

BUIZILLA
09-25-2011, 08:54 AM
light lime green pearl, gold base, mega clear.... black transom and hull upper accents, white interior, color is just like #686 from last nights BJ @ LV auction... :yes: :pimp:

Greg Guimond
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM

BUIZILLA
09-25-2011, 09:20 AM
looked a lot lighter under the stage lights last night....

maddad
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Awesome color combo there. How about a 600" supercharged hemi with that?

Scott Pearson
09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
The boat will be painted with all water products...start to finish. Primer, sealer, basecoat and clearcoat...100% waterborne. Should be the first ever restored like this. But hey...I'm just a hobbiest right.......................WTF do I know...:confused:

gcarter
09-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Scott, I gotta give you credit for going the water based route.....
I've not had the nerve to try them.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the products work.
When I started asking about these products several years ago, I was told;
First: you need a gun w/a SST fluid path. Well I got one, but I haven't progressed past that point......

Buddyc
09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Sandpaper is the hobbiest best friend....:) Make a mistake, Sand it out. If they can teach robots to paint, it should be a piece of cake! :bonk:

Morgan's Cloud
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Amongst traditionalists , do you find any hesitation when it comes to using the new technology water based paints ?

I don't think I'd have a problem giving a water based bottom (antifouling) paint a try , but I would maybe guess that in a lot of peoples' minds a water based paint couldn't possibly be as durable ,etc , as the 'old stuff .

Scott Pearson
09-25-2011, 04:50 PM
No hesitation what so ever. At least with PPG waterborne. All waterbore is not the same and there are huge diferences in the products and the way they are applyed. I have been shooting water for almost 4 years now and was the first involved in training and converting the shops in California.

The product is amazing. Most shops are using just waterborne base coat...and low VOC solvent based primer, sealers and clears. We do primers, sealers and clears in water but they are not very productive in the high production shops.

I'm really looking foward to doing the Hornet in ALL water. Since there is no solvet in waterborne it is completely dry when the water leaves the film. So you dont get any shrinkage like you would with solvent. The mare resistance on the waterborne clear is amazing...its very very hard to scratch. So no worries there. Its really a cool product to shhot. It goes on like a light blue transparent color. you need to blow it dry until it turns clear and then bake it for an hour at 140 Degrees. Hense the slow production...:wink:.

If I had any doubt that it wouldnt work better I would never use it on this project.

Hope this answered your question...:)

Morgan's Cloud
09-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Carefull now , you're starting to convert me :biggrin:

Now here's an off the wall question .. Is it any special type of water that you use , or do you just get it from the tap on the wall ?

The reason I ask that is our water , for the most part , is from the sky and goes into our tanks under the houses . Basically fresh distilled rain water .

The nasty stuff that comes out of the ground really ought to be r/o d and chlorinated before use . Would these solids ,etc affect the product ?

gcarter
09-25-2011, 05:05 PM
"you need to blow it dry until it turns clear and then bake it for an hour at 140 Degrees. Hense the slow production...:wink:."

This is what I read and that's where I would run into problems.
.......not that my shop doesn't get to about 120* in the summer....

Greg Guimond
09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Cool Boat
Cool Color Choice
Cool trailblazing application of the latest technology

Cool Cubed :yes:

biggiefl
09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
So let's just say it is "cool"

Scott Pearson
09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes, you need to use a special water. You dont want to use tap water ever. The water we provide is treated and purifyed.

bertsboat
09-25-2011, 07:55 PM
My problem is that water and wood don't mix. Now Coosa and water, NO PROBLEMS !!
My take.
Latest technology? http://www.coosacomposites.com/

Buddyc
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I know I'm a rookie when it comes to the history of Donzi's. The various models and the significance of each. What model is the ultimate and what makes it so desired? I'm assuming only a few were made... Should be real sweet when done.

mattyboy
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Scott
what shape were the hatches in on the ultimate? I have noticed a possible problem on mine where the two hatches meet. I think the hatch with the lip has some chips and pieces missing allowing rain water to fall on the motor? any issue like this on the sting?? now I know why the old motor was all rusty on one side :rolleyes:

another question on the cockpit cover are there any ribs like the 16 has , so not to allow puddling on the cover?

Scott Pearson
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
No special stuff on the hatches. Guess just a flaw in the design.

The Ultimate had the hardware for a rib for the cover just like the 16.

mattyboy
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM
was the rib side to side or front to back?

Scott Pearson
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Center...front to back

Sweet Cheekz
09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Scott
Curious how you will achieve 140 degrees to bake the paint?

Parnell

Morgan's Cloud
09-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Curious how you will achieve 140 degrees to bake the paint?

Maybe rent George's garage ? :shades:

gcarter
09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I could get the temp w/some lights etc, at least on a part at a time as I wouldn't need to raise the temp a lot.

I think what would be difficult would be to blow it dry w/what I suspect needs to be dry air. I think that would be hard to do.

Buddyc
09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Great one Morgan...most downdraft spray booths are capable of reaching that temp when done painting

Morgan's Cloud
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
I know George has the 'natural heat' .. ''No external devices needed ..''

But that humidity sucks ... Just ask me ... lol

Scott Pearson
09-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Humidity in air lines need to be below 5% for the product to work the way it should. The surface that you are painting will need to get to 140 degrees.

Scott Pearson
09-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Matty,
Here are the pictures of the hardware that was installed for the cockpit cover bow. Hope this helps.6800568006

mattyboy
09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Same hardware that was on the 16 damn I should have stripped that boat before I sold it.
that hardware is not on mine,
I have to figure something out the water puddles in the seat area.

I have the part numbers for the wiring harnesses from E power much more economical than merc stuff. what are you going to use for gauges? SW or Teleflex HD? either of those gauges with a neon green backing light would look great.

Scott Pearson
09-27-2011, 08:51 AM
SW Gauges, period correct Aquameter Extenda range speedo and Aquameter tach.

biggiefl
09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Matty those pieces look like any Marpac item for a mooring bow unless I missed something. I had OEM ones on my Whaler and the Marpac ones fit exactly...maybe Tempo or Perko made the OEM ones. I went with SS as the oem ones were crome plated pot metal.

mattyboy
09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Scott

here are the harnesses I used

engine harness merc type to be used with a bracket

mar6199-02-06

from dash to engine

mar6118-23

I cut off the sqaure plug and wired on my own ring eyes and connectors for the gauges and switches.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL6I/Instrument+Panel+Harnesses

they are based on merc and the newer volvo setups so there are wires that can be used as spares like the trim indicator and mercathode connections.

these are very good qaulity and much more economical than merc stuff

heres what it looks like back on the engine, the connector can be seen behind the carb I just put the harness in black flexduct. then made a smaller octopuss out of 1/4 inch flex duct for the motor harness it was great to work with. the merc bracket was not cheap though.

how many wires will the harness need to be?? any required gauges for the injection or blower I think I wound up with 3 unused wires in the harness

gcarter
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
The parts matty used are the way to go.
The quality and prices are unbeatable IMHO.

Scott Pearson
10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
68117681266812568124681236812268121681206811968118 68127Deck is off...:)

pipnit
10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
looking good!

I like the cradle...

gcarter
10-05-2011, 03:02 PM
OK Scott, so far I'm pretty impressed.
But I've looked at your pictures pretty closely, I see the tabs screwed to the deck frame transverse members.
How are the angles attached to these tabs attached to the deck for lifting?

Scott Pearson
10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
The one picture you are looking at they were not glassed down yet. Plexus...Extream adhesive. Its a 2 part product that bonds to the gelcoat.

gcarter
10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Another question Scott, would you post pictures of your process of turning your deck over?
And flipping your hull when you get that far.

Buddyc
10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Hey George. There are pics of it when he redid the yellow boat on his lake george site. Big Azz wheel made out of wood with a strap holdng the lifting eye. Looks as if it works well... But then again I could be totally wrong...

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/album15/

gcarter
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Yep, that works, but probably different for the deck w/the frame attached.

scippy
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Like that framing system!....... Really seems to take care of any flex or mobility in the deck.
the shoring of the hull ain't cheapo either. ......Looks to be a very professional restoration.

Scott Pearson
10-07-2011, 06:24 AM
The deck needed to be done like this because the coring was so bad and the cockpit lost alot of shape and sunk into the hull. This all needed to be jacked up with wood and shored into place. Once the deck was where we wanted it then the framing jig was glued into place...this way everything stayed in place before it was removed. This was the only way to do this and make it 100%.

The shoring on the sides were done like this to keep the hull where it should be once the deck was removed. Also, remember...the entire inside of the hull is all 1/2 inch balsa cored. This is all being replaced and this will ensure that it stays in its original shape.

Greg Guimond
10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I assume you have used this glue before. Almost lets you insta-freeze the deck into place positioned exactly as you want it? Looks like a pretty interesting adhesive product ............

Plexus: World Leader in the Development of Advanced Methacrylate Adhesives
ITW Plexus® is a business unit of Illinois Tool Works, a Fortune 200 company, and a worldwide giant in fastening, joining, sealing, and coating technologies - Illinois Tool Works - www.itw.com (http://www.itw.com/).

mattyboy
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
looks like the factory used the character line as the chaulk line for the side coring. I thought my dash had a lot of holes cut in it. what are you plans for the dash, indiv. gauges cut in with no plate or something more along the lines of the pumpkin?

Scott Pearson
10-07-2011, 09:02 AM
The gauges will be like they are now. I want to keep the dash as original as possible. I'm going to fill the switch holes for the docking lights and hide the new switch somewhere under the dash.