PDA

View Full Version : 22C questions on what to look for???

biggiefl
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I may hopefully be buying a 1994 22c with a 454(hp not sure??) that is quite far away from me(600miles). The boat has been described as what I would think a 7-8 but maybe a 9 if I dedicated some mucho time to it in detailing, etc. Owner claims 70mph with light load,60+ withoutout. I was thinking 62 with light load if a 330hp or am I wrong? What engines did they offer with a 454 in 1994? I heard the 1994+ has different stringers and some other upgrades over the older models, can somebody explain? Also what should I look for that the average person would overlook(cracks, stringers, etc). I am mechanically OK but not familiar with the classics even though I always wanted one since I was a noodle. I don't want to spend 2 days and $300 to find myself kicking myself in the arse if you know what I mean. Sure I will do a test run but would like to know what else I should have an eye out for. I appreciate everything in advance. A member here has seen this boat, just want to double check as I have never even been in a 22C in my life but owned a 240 Baja for a decade. Is $15K fair with SS winshield and a silent choice exhaust and alum trailer(no idea of year or condition), manifolds and riser are original so I know....

Rumblefish
08-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Sounds like a great setup. and with that trailer a good value.

You seem to know witch areas are important already to inspect, but also keep in mind without a survey you get what you see and hopefully everything is sound engine and drive wise.

Your on the money in your speed thoughts, A prop size (ask the owner) that era of 21p to 23p was common and 62 65 mph is very fast.

Test drive is golden if you have the abilty to do so.. but the throttle up and down touch is crucial to not pitch the small 24 deg hull on her side. (even with a 330hp 454)

With out trimming it up as soon and you plane (on the verg of the prop breaking loose)... you may not enjoy the ride .

Read on more in this forum about handling so you can expect what you feel the first time out (especially if you have never been in a 22 ). I have read some threads that gave every sense of the drive and ownership and what to expect in the 22c.

Its unlike anyboat ive ever owned and couldnt imagine not ever owning one from now on.

ralph crocker
08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I have the same boat with a TRS. The motor has been beefed slightly when rebuilt with thru hull exhaust. It gps'd at 67.2 with 1/2 tank and 2 people. I got it this time last year and other than an old 16 footer with a 100 HP outboard I have owned ski boats the last 30 years.
I absolutely love it and it handles very very well. I also now have an x18 and a 28 Magnum Maltese with twin 383's. The 22 is the most fun all around boat. I too would suggest a survey but be sure the surveyor knows about these and not just big cruisers.
If in stated condition it is a fair price.
You can wheel it yourself (I tried and did ok) but I went and paid a pro $300 to do it. WOW it is like glass now.

biggiefl
08-09-2011, 09:19 AM
What about the 1994+ differences I read little about?

kcraig99
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
double check the motor. It may be a carbed 454 mag which is 365 hp. That is what my '96 has. I don't have GPS, but I have been told I run 68, that would be with a medium load (2 people, small cooler, 3/4 tank of gas). They also offered the 454 EFI in 1994 I believe which was 385 horse.

The boat is a blast. I've had mine for just over a month now. Mine was a step down in size from a 34 scarab III, but the boat is 1000 times more fun. There is a bit of a learning curve to driving it, but once you get the hang of it what a fun ride it is.

I saw you also had a post asking about boarding the boat from the water. That was a concern of mine as well, but it is actually really easy. My wife struggles just a little, but its really not that bad. It usually just gives me an opportunity to tease her as she flops up on the stern.

handfulz28
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
biggie, that 22C in west palm sold recently for $12-13k. Personally I think the buyer overpaid. Nowhere near the speed claimed, not to mention a bunch of little issues.

Bring a GPS and don't buy anything unseen and untested by you. If you're not really comfortable with your marine/engine/drive/boat/trailer knowledge, please bring somebody that is. Four eyes are usually better.

No matter what kind of boat it is, the little things can nickle and dime you to death. And there's nothing worse than a "70mph" boat turning out to be barely a 60mph boat because the engine isn't what the seller represented.

Lowflyn
08-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a 93 22c which came with a stock 454 chevy. They are 330hp and the boat tops out ~67... and ~ 1 mile per gal..
Questions for you:
Is the exhaust at water line or above? This engne due to valve over lap timing - WILL suck water all the way up the exhaust tubing and fill 1 or 2 cylinders with water - AFTER SHUTTING ENGINE DOWN - not good - This happened to me $$$$
Pull a compression check - these engine seem not to have a long life in a marine use. These are truck motors - heavy on tourge - good for boats yet...
What outdrive? King Cobras - next to impossoble to find parts for - especially the water pump.
Electrical - pull plugs apart - check inside for corrosion.
Fresh or Salt useage?

Those are just a few hints - That I learned the hardway about - I didn't know about this web and these guys - They are great!! :)

gcarter
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
What about the 1994+ differences I read little about?

There's a discussion of the differences here;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=6

There's a bit more to it than just stringer and strake location, like the stringers were about three times as thick, four side gussets were included, and "shelves" or covers were included over the side gussets.

joseph m. hahnl
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
If you've never driven a 24V, I would suggest that you don't take it to WOT, while test driving it.If you want to see it top out let the owner do it. :toiletpap:toiletpap or bring a double roll :yes:

I believe If there was a stringer change it would be closed cell foam core stringers. Not to be confused with the repositioning of the stringers when they went to the 496.

This is a guy from the Hull truth, who explainers about the closed cell material * note the date *
http://www.thehulltruth.com/cb/statusicon/post_old.gif 11-24-2009, 06:03 AM

I'm a long time employee of AMERICAN MARINE HOLDINGS: PRO-LINE, PRO-LITE and DONZI.
"Working" is an abuse of the word though.

Using government specs, the foam cannot retain more than 1% of it's total weight of moisture.
Perhaps one hundred pounds of closed cell foam can retain less than one pound of water.
We maintain one tenth of a pound of retention.
Talking about foam is always a topic that has much disagreement and views that vary.
One popular view is if the foam is cut it will then admit water. Yes, that's true, but only the cut area. A tiny fraction.
We, as very many, boat builders ,use closed cell foam, a "PVC" foam so to speak. We've had a tremendous success with it for about sixteen years now with no cases of waterlogged foam.
When using the word "foam" it's all that not a bad idea to define the "foam" we're talking about.
This is not the sixties. Yes, I have lived thru waterlogged foam, but not for many-many years.
The plastics industry has come a very long way.
A closed cell foam stringer system, encapsulated with perhaps "3610" or "2415" or the like, has no natural enemies. It's very strong, creates an extremely good bottom, lighter, more efficient in most uses, will retain extremely low % of moisture.
In some cases wood might be better. It's all in the application and intended use.
If it were me gutting an old boat, replacing stringers, floors, transom, I'd probobly use wood. Less money, and if an XL wood is being used, no rot worries. I wouldn't go to the expense of plastics or foam. No way is it going to be cost efficient and the wood will be much easier to work with.
Consider, in your home, how much moisture has your PVC piping absorbed?

biggiefl
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
This is not the one in Palm Beach and I am going up Friday to pick her up after she is done being detailed(gotta love red). I rebuilt my last 454 twice so I know engines and this has the coveted Bravo 1. I will do a comp test and check the foot lube for water, etc. Boat was fresh water until 3 years and about 100 hours ago. She has 335 total hours as of yesterday. Interior is impeccable as is the hull for the most part. "Looks" to be good but mechanicals can be hidden. New shift cable, bellows, gimbal bearing and engine coupler last month as well which is a relief. Hate to buy it just to yank the engine from a failed coupler. I will have my mechanic check the alignment to be sure it don't happen again from poor alignment. This also has the silent choice so water inversion should not be an issue....just close the flaps. My 240 Baja had the exhaust straight back so no hill for water to have to climb. I put Salsbury covers on it and never had a problem. They shut pretty quick when water hits them. I just made it a point to never have my stern facing the sea and don't back down too fast and again never had the problem.

RedDog
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
...This also has the silent choice so water inversion should not be an issue....just close the flaps. My 240 Baja had the exhaust straight back so no hill for water to have to climb. I put Salsbury covers on it and never had a problem. They shut pretty quick when water hits them. I just made it a point to never have my stern facing the sea and don't back down too fast and again never had the problem.

This is only 1 of 2 possible reasons for reversion - and in my limited view, the least likely. Reversion can occur at low engine speeds when exhaust water gets sucked back down an exhaust valve - typically to an improperly spec'ed cam (auto vs. marine). It you're stock, should not be a concern

biggiefl
08-14-2011, 12:28 AM
If Mercruiser or similar does not make the cam and you are not running dry stacks...No doubt!

Well she is in the driveway. 1100+ miles in 38 hours but she is mine.

RedDog
08-14-2011, 10:00 AM
If Mercruiser or similar does not make the cam and you are not running dry stacks...No doubt!

Well she is in the driveway. 1100+ miles in 38 hours but she is mine.
Need pics!

Congratulations

Carl C
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
1100+ miles in 38 hours

What took so long?

biggiefl
08-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Had to stop for beer and a test drive for God's sake!

biggiefl
08-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Here are some small pics.

wrussellw
08-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Are you in Orange Beach?

biggiefl
08-16-2011, 12:22 PM
No...that is where the boat came from. I am just south of Tampa.