PDA

View Full Version : upholstry ? advice and opinon

jeffdds
08-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I just bought a 1986 Minx, the boat is in perfect conditon, except the upholstry is good to great but not as perfect as the rest of the boat ... My question is this, is better for me to take the original upholstry to a local shop and have a new set made , or are there online companies that sell the prefitted snap in upholstry , and if so , I would appreciate a recommendation . All opinions welcome, thanks, jeff

Carl C
08-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Call Jamie @ Lakeside (see banner ad) or DonziJosh (Josh) @ http://www.donzidirect.com/

mattyboy
08-06-2011, 02:58 PM
donzi direct does custom interiors????? they have the means to make a minx interior??? wonder if they do older classics as well???

Carl C
08-06-2011, 03:41 PM
donzi direct does custom interiors????? they have the means to make a minx interior??? wonder if they do older classics as well???

I said call them. I don't know what they are capable of providing anymore but Josh gave me a very good quote on back seat upholstery for my 22.

jeffdds
08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
thanks Carl, I looked at both websites and I will be contacting, still looking for any other opinions or advice , thanks again, jeff

gcarter
08-06-2011, 08:37 PM
If neither source has a pattern, the Minx upholstery is identical to a 22 except the deck behind the rear seat is much flatter than a 22 so the sides of the Minx rear seat back is higher than a 22.
I had 22 upholstery in my Minx, it fit really good except when the rear seat back was snapped in, there was a small gap between the back and bottom cushions at the sides.

Buddyc
08-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I remember Jamie telling me that he acquired all the patterns for all the donzis

mattyboy
08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I remember Jamie telling me that he acquired all the patterns for all the donzis

is this true? Did Jamie purchase bilt-rite?

Buddyc
08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
is this true? Did Jamie purchase bilt-rite?
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said he bought bilt rite. He told me he has all the patterns.

mattyboy
08-06-2011, 09:54 PM
well then I guess I will call Lakeside and get a benchseat hornet interior made up since they have all the patterns. better than trying to re-create my 43 yr old interior

Buddyc
08-06-2011, 10:10 PM
well then I guess I will call Lakeside and get a benchseat hornet interior made up since they have all the patterns. better than trying to re-create my 43 yr old interior
well you would be in good hands if you did...I'm going to get him to do my 45 yr old boat and wouldn't go anywhere else!

MOP
08-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Awhile back one of the members had an interior done by an Amish group in the mid west, the work and price were very good. I may be worth while doing a search on interiors for more options.

Carl C
08-07-2011, 06:43 AM
well you would be in good hands if you did...I'm going to get him to do my 45 yr old boat and wouldn't go anywhere else!

Does that mean you are going to finish the boat before you sell it?

MOP
08-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Scrap the Amish idea the search feature only goes back though this year.

mattyboy
08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
smoothie had the Amish crafstman do his 20 cig interior was a good product and a good price . not sure if they did it free hand or if they needed his old interior as a pattern. That's why I am leary of using interior guys by me they want to use the old one as a pattern and might damage it and then return with an inferior product. the bench seat looks like a plain jane job but with the increased size of the foam making the corners look good is very tough. I am in the process of working with one of my customers who is in the car customization business to get access to their interior guy and their parts restoration guy.

I am going to contact jamie at Lakeside

Buddyc
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Does that mean you are going to finish the boat before you sell it?
If im lucky enough to be able to keep it, Of course I would like to finish it... All it takes is money,

Carl C
08-07-2011, 06:27 PM
If im lucky enough to be able to keep it, Of course I would like to finish it... All it takes is money,

Just wondering because you said that you were definitely selling it and I assumed you were selling it as is.

Buddyc
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I am... but there has to be a buyer first in order to sell it.. get the idea?

knots2u
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Bilt Rite is the only place that has the original patterns, tucked safely away for another day. Stay tuned for details.........:yes:

Bob

Tony
08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
...tucked safely away for another day. Stay tuned for details.........:yes:
Bob

Hmmm, very interesting!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA2n3mtFK6wK_azgWsLOnZIdVpKVPJO h70cyGJCEsh4Yf8BBY9

Greg Guimond
08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Now THAT is a teaser post if ever there was one Bob! If you want the best possible job you need to bring them the boat. I'm talking about a "10" level of quality. There are always small issues and having the boat physically in the shop is the best way to go.

mattyboy
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Bilt Rite is the only place that has the original patterns, tucked safely away for another day. Stay tuned for details.........:yes:

Bob Bob,
I bought the last 16 skisporter interior from bilt-rite is was made from the original patterns no boat was needed and it was perfect. I probably will be the first in line to buy a benchseat hornet interior from the original patterns.
The black one you made for Scott's benchseat had some minor issues the customer service you and bilt rite performed to make it right and the final product was again perfect ! so was the one you made for the sting.

service and a product like that sold me

to quote a movie build it and they will come

knots2u
08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Why would I need the boat? The interiors I supplied are the same as what the boat had when brand new! The Hornet interior was made without seeing the boat and Scott wanted changes made in foam thickness. The first one was not good enough so I made another, at my expense!

Greg Guimond
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Matty,
You and I have something in common. I bought the last interior Bob and Bilt-Rite ever made for a 16 OB Baby (The Mule) and it was perfect. However, if Bob is not doing the work I would highly recommend that the boat go physically to the shop in question. While it is there, have the full install done as well so that if a snap or three are out of line they can adjust for it on the spot.

Bob,
I have a 16 Baby in production now that would love to be your first customer! Keep us posted :)

jeffdds
08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, remember me ? Im the guy that started this thread ... I just finished rereading the posts and things seemed to get off track ... This is what I think I learned so far ( keep in mind the original question basically asks if I should buy new upholstry that is custom made by bringing my original upholstry and having a duplicate made from a local custom auto/boat shop or is it easily available pre made and pre fit on the internet ? ) please correct me if Im wrong .
Someone or someplace named Bilt rite at one time made great pre fit upholstry of legendary stature from the original patterns but they dont make them anymore . Some one named Bob whos ID on the registry is Knots2u has something to do with this whole biltrite upholstry company thing or has the biltrite patterns but is not making upholstry anymore but perhaps he will in the future, while some hold their breath. Debate exists as to whether anyone else has the original patterns but lakeside and donzidirect are rumored to be holding and are worth investigating . Best fit and finish may in fact be gained by having new upholstry custom made to the boat by using the original pieces or by brinigng the boat directly to the upholstry shop .

Is that correct ? Did I get it right here ? Im new and while I appreciate all the posts and suggestions , alot of this I had to deduce by reading and rereading the threads . Some of you guys like to make references to people, (knots) places, (bilt rite) and sites, (lakeside, donzidirect) that novices may not be familiar with and while the thread and conversation rambles on and people keep adding little quips here and there a new guy can get lost and confused.
Anyone else with experience redoing the upholstry on a classic ? Did you buy precut or go custom made ? I would love to hear the story and appreciate more recommendations for websites or if anyone knows a good upholstry shop in NJ . thanks jeff

pipnit
08-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Dentist Jeff,

Think of it as starting a movie halfway through, sometimes you need to connect the dots. You did a good job of deciphering the story and have the correct story. Bob is / was the owner of built rite. A great guy who did / does great work, had an orange with blue piping interior done foe my 2+3 and it turned out so sweet.

scippy
08-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Hang in there Jeff, pretty much everthing gets answered here, whether directly or indirectly this be the place find out.. ..........I to, would like to know of a good upholsterer in Jersey......Did bilt-rite ever do Magnum interiors?

Greg Guimond
08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
You will have a hard time finding someone in NJ that can produce the top quality work you want. Be prepared to widen your search area.

mattyboy
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
scippy,

i have to see if the lady we used for the cig in lk hopatcong is still around. she did some nice work on the interior that didn't need structure( she did everything but the front buckets bilt-rite did them.). there is also a new guy on my lake have heard good things but have not seen his work.
i'll keep you posted.

scippy
08-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks Matty,

My time frame is way down the road probabely even behind Scott's 2-3 year ultimate project. I only have pictures to go by for the full Magnum interior......no doubt, it would be a home run to get someone relatively close & who does good upholstry work......Good luck with the hornet.

Buddyc
08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey Bob,
Nice talking to you and mike mine for a 66 Barrelback, White on white.:wink: Rootsy had a set for her from Bilt rite and sold them before I was in the picture. Is a 18 Barrelback different in any way from a later 18 classic?

DonziJosh
08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, remember me ? Im the guy that started this thread ... I just finished rereading the posts and things seemed to get off track ... This is what I think I learned so far ( keep in mind the original question basically asks if I should buy new upholstry that is custom made by bringing my original upholstry and having a duplicate made from a local custom auto/boat shop or is it easily available pre made and pre fit on the internet ? ) please correct me if Im wrong .
Someone or someplace named Bilt rite at one time made great pre fit upholstry of legendary stature from the original patterns but they dont make them anymore . Some one named Bob whos ID on the registry is Knots2u has something to do with this whole biltrite upholstry company thing or has the biltrite patterns but is not making upholstry anymore but perhaps he will in the future, while some hold their breath. Debate exists as to whether anyone else has the original patterns but lakeside and donzidirect are rumored to be holding and are worth investigating . Best fit and finish may in fact be gained by having new upholstry custom made to the boat by using the original pieces or by brinigng the boat directly to the upholstry shop .

Is that correct ? Did I get it right here ? Im new and while I appreciate all the posts and suggestions , alot of this I had to deduce by reading and rereading the threads . Some of you guys like to make references to people, (knots) places, (bilt rite) and sites, (lakeside, donzidirect) that novices may not be familiar with and while the thread and conversation rambles on and people keep adding little quips here and there a new guy can get lost and confused.
Anyone else with experience redoing the upholstry on a classic ? Did you buy precut or go custom made ? I would love to hear the story and appreciate more recommendations for websites or if anyone knows a good upholstry shop in NJ . thanks jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm Josh, with www.donzidirect.com (http://www.donzidirect.com). We offer Classic upholstery from Donzi's factory source. A current Classic upholstery set would be fairly close to your Minx, but we'd need to get your aft seats in our Florida shop to do them properly. We'll build you two bucket seats, the two-piece aft seat backrest, and the aft seat bottom cushion, in your choice of colors (you pick the base vinyl color, the piping color, any stripes you may want in the seats themselves, etc) for $2295, which is the same price as our 16, 18, and 22 Classic sets. There would be no prototype or customization charges.

We'd love to get Minx patterns so we can offer this upholstery to future customers, and we realize that shipping your seats to us is an inconvenience, so we'll ship the entire kit back to you with no shipping charges.

For more information on exactly what you're getting from us, check here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.185148274882144.47908.170683836328588&type=1 (http://www.facebook.com/#%21/media/set/?set=a.185148274882144.47908.170683836328588&type=1)

Call us with any questions at 888.441.1614.

Josh

jeffdds
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Josh thanks for the info and FB link with the great photos . I will be in touch shortly when I decide exactly what I want to do at the end of this boating season . I have visited your website already, its really nice you have alot of cool stuff . Thanks again for all the info and pricing .

DonziJosh
08-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi Jeff,

My pleasure! Thanks for the kind words. No matter which route you choose for your upholstery, feel free to contact us if we can be of any help. Congrats on your new Donzi!

Josh

knots2u
08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Buddy,

There was a V notch at the top of the rear cushions, current style is the top two cushions meet end to end. I don't remember if there was a difference in height, I would have to check the patterns.

Bob

Buddyc
08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Good stuff Bob...
Keep me in the loop...