PDA

View Full Version : 69 Formula Jr.

mcarrabino
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Hello,
I am new to Donzi and to Donzi Registry. I bought what I thought was a Donzi 16 and found out that it is likely a Formula Jr. Does anyone know how I can find out what the approximate value and exact year this boat is?
Thanks,
Mike

jl1962
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
More pictures would help, but the short answer is: Probably Less Than You Think.....

Classic 'Glas (and this definitely IS a classic boat) really only gets a fraction of the respect that mahogany does. And the boat market in general is very weak.

As far as comps go, there aren't many/any. The very nice (IMO) blue Jr that was for sale here about a year ago sold for high single digits (last asking price I remember was 8K or 9K?).

That said we are probably at rock bottom for the vintage glass market.

My advice would be to use the boat, enjoy the boat, learn more about what you have. Restore it as you see fit.

Use the search function here, join Antique and Classic Boat Society (nice mention in their current quarterly newsletter on the future collectibility of the Donzi 16 BTW). Another cool site is www.Fiberglassics.com (http://www.Fiberglassics.com) .

silverghost
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
I agree with the above post .

That fully restored Blue Formula Jr was a real sweetheart !
The former owner who was tragically injured had pumped tens of thousands $$$ into that great project ~~
And it sure looked like it.

When it finally sold it went for just a small fraction of what the prior owner had put in her restoration.

Classic Fiberglass speedboats have not as yet become highly sought after collectables like the earlier mahogany speedboats, or musclecars.

Will these early fiberglass speedboat's values change in the near future ?
Who really knows for sure ?
We need a crystal ball to see if this will ever happen.
I, for one, suspect it will~~~
Some day ?

silverghost
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Another point that I believe should be made is the fact that early fiberglass boats have only just been allowed to attend the various Classic boat show venues around the country.
Before this~ only the older mahogany runabout/ speedboats & other older wooden boats were permitted to attend.

Now that the early fiberglass boats are being accepted , and are attending these shows they are sure to become more popular with new & old classic boat collectors.
Their values will then start to move upward as more folks start to seek out nice rare original examples to restore & show at Classic boat shows.

mcarrabino
08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Ghost,
thanks so much for all of your input on this boat that I found. I really really like the boat and will likely continue the restoration process. The previous owner did a top off, renforced the stringers and transom. The boat is now generally in good shape and runs like a top. The motor and outdrive were also recently refreshed. My plan is to keep the boat for a long time to come - my son will like to have it some day I am sure. I am glad to have it and very excited as well!!!
Thanks again,
Mike

gcarter
08-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Ghost,
thanks so much for all of your input on this boat that I found. I really really like the boat and will likely continue the restoration process. The previous owner did a top off, renforced the stringers and transom. The boat is now generally in good shape and runs like a top. The motor and outdrive were also recently refreshed. My plan is to keep the boat for a long time to come - my son will like to have it some day I am sure. I am glad to have it and very excited as well!!!
Thanks again,
Mike

Very nice boat and I hope you enjoy it.
I think the limit for the Classic Boat Society is a minimum of 25 years old, so more and more boats will be eligible every year.
My company services Mt. Dora, and I have a few customers w/woodies.
I've had more than one tell me the horrers of walking down to the boat one morning and finding it on the bottom of the lake!
Things like this and the lower maintenance of glass will over time drive up the demand for older glass boats. If I decide to keep my Testa Rossa, it'll be eligible in another year.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
We want pics! Don't hold out on us!:hyper:

If you e-mail me, I'll send you the various Formula Jr. pics I've collected over the years.

eric.tolnes@erizon.net

Eric:)

axelkloehn
09-02-2011, 01:32 AM
We want pics! Don't hold out on us!:hyper:
If you e-mail me, I'll send you the various Formula Jr. pics I've collected over the years.
eric.tolnes@erizon.net
Eric:)

pics are here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?65984-1965-Formula-By-Thunderbird