PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a hull that "whistles?"

pipnit
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
So this year, my boat has taken up to whistling. It's strange...
We've made a number of changes to the boat, new hydraulic steering, rebuilt motor and a "new" Morse Controller. In order for me to make the Morse fit, I had to cut out a good bit of the positive flotation. Now, at certain speeds, when the wind is in the right direction and the boat is in a certain attitude (usually with trim tabs DOWN, going slow, around 2400 rpm or lower) the hull appears to whistle. I first noticed this on our sea trial with the hatch off because she really wanted to whistle then. Now it's just from time to time but I can usually make the noise go away with a little trim or change of direction. Anyone else get this condition? It doesn't really bother me and my guests don't usually notice it, just kind of a funny condition.

h20loo
08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Does my Laser sailboat count? Actually, when I think about it, it doesn't whistle but it does hum nicely!!

Walt. H.
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Obviously it's catching air into a section of the hull or trim piece or vent opening or stern-light post etc and causing it to act like a reed in a whistle, I would have someone move about the boat placing their hands in various locations until they find the spot that they caused the air to be deflected and make the appropriate adjustment.
Good luck and post back your findings..
WH

pipnit
08-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Does my Laser sailboat count? Actually, when I think about it, it doesn't whistle but it does hum nicely!!

Ahhhh, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I :heart: my Laser but I really only sail it during small craft advisories (when I can't take my 2+3 out!) so yeah, I'm very familiar with the centerboard hum, that's when you know you're doing it right!

pipnit
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Obviously it's catching air into a section of the hull or trim piece or vent opening or stern-light post etc and causing it to act like a reed in a whistle, I would have someone move about the boat placing their hands in various locations until they find the spot that they caused the air to be deflected and make the appropriate adjustment.
Good luck and post back your findings..
WH

Thanks Walt, I was just curious to hear if other people have had this happen.
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the starboard side, up by where the drive sits because that's where we cut some of the positive floatation out of. I'll work on it and report back.

Walt. H.
08-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Hummm?
I would think removal of flotation foam might cause you to hear some normally deadened vibration hum, but a whistling sound I would have only thought would come from air flow.
Either way something must be fluttering to make that noise?

pipnit
08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Hummm?
I would think removal of flotation foam might cause you to hear some normally deadened vibration hum, but a whistling sound I would have only thought would come from air flow.
Either way something must be fluttering to make that noise?

Yeah, it wasn't much that we removed but I'm thinking it was enough to get some air flowing more freely back there. I'll experiment and see what I come up with. Thanks for the thoughts.

Walt. H.
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, it wasn't much that we removed but I'm thinking it was enough to get some air flowing more freely back there. I'll experiment and see what I come up with. Thanks for the thoughts.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

thescooter
08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
:nilly:hum a few bars maybe we know it.
whistling, we just can't understand!

BOMPAPEN
08-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I never have a hull that whistling but one time I have a car that do it after a year of buy new.. Was a new Civic back in 1996. The dealer never find the problem. Five years later the front windshield broke. When I replace it the whistling stop, a year and a half later start again. I put masking tape to the plastic trim and stop it. I figure out the gap of the glass and the trim cause the problem. Hope this help.

hardcrab
08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
:nilly:hum a few bars maybe we know it.
whistling, we just can't understand!
I was really trying not to go there but, ........

Maybe it doesn't know the words .