PDA

View Full Version : Water in my 18 ft Classic

Papu
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I can't figure out where the water is coming into my Classic. The local marina said some hose clamps were loose on the exhaust and it was probably coming in there. They tightened them which may have helped a little but it stiil takes on water...maybe mostly when it sits moored. They pronounced the stern drive and shift boots to be fine.

joseph m. hahnl
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Didn't want to leave you hanging. Your best bet would be to take a flashlight inside the bilge and shine it at the transom seal and transom assembly any bolts that pass through the transom.Look for water dribbling in. Also check that the drain plug is not leaking from being loose or worn out. usually You can see air bubbles when the drain plug is leaking. Also check power steering cooler , oil cooler, cold water hose, Y pipe if equipped and or block off plate if equipped.

I would first check to see if there are bubbles coming from the plug inside the bilge while there is water in there. Then bilge pump out the water. dry the bottom and transom with towels , rags or Pigs(absorbent socks) . then watch all around the transom and cold water hose and it's accessories,and any place a bolt comes through the transom such as trim tabs. if you start out dry you'll be able to see the water trickle in. good luck

http://images.newpig.com/wcsstore/NewPigUSCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/images/prdImgs_medium/404NN1_W_M.jpg

Papu
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks. I sure wish the engine compartment was bigger and I was smaller.

MOP
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM
When I had to do bilge stuff like change a starter or the like I would lay across the top of the engine on an old heavy quilt and hang down to see what I was doing!

Papu
08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Well I found out finally where my leak is. It is coming from the area where the water scoop for the speedometer comes into the boat. On the inside of the engine compartment on the starboard side is a blue rectangular box that the hollow speedo tube attaches to. Beneath the boat is the pickup, which is kind of shaped like an avocado with a sharp point at the front end. I don't see any mounting hardware whatsoever except a splined wheel that screws down on the rectangular part inside the boat. Removing the splined wheel doesn't seem to free up anything. What am I missing? I want to remove this thing and re-caulk it.

Papu
08-31-2011, 08:54 AM
This is where the water is getting in. Its leaking from beneath the fairing block on this Airmar depth sensor. I talked to a tech at Airmar who said the spline wheel is the only mechanical method of attachment, and the unit was most likely glued in place. He further noted that removing the tranducer would likely destroy it. I wonder what my chances of sealing the leak with 4200 around the base of the inboard fairing block (the rectangular piece) would be.

MOP
09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Clean around it then use 4200 quick cure it cures in 24 hours, the regular 42 and 52 take 7 days to cure. Phil