PDA

View Full Version : Prop Recommendation

ralph crocker
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Recently got a 73 18 Volvo 279T with original 350 Chris Craft motor (rebuilt) and original Carter carb and exhaust. Trim currently not working so running all the way down. On it now is a Solas 3x 15 5/8 x21LT I get only 4300 RPM and 52 MPH (on speedo) with 3/4 tank of gas and 2 adults. I think I need to go to a lower pitch. But what specific size and brand. There are so so many out there. If anyone has any recommendations or props that may help that I could buy I would appreciate it. Thanks

maddad
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Ralph, if you're spinning 4300 with negative trim and driving the nose into the water, you may have the right prop already. I've never had a good look at a Volvo setup with trim, but there has to be a way to get it to stay at -0-, or a bit positive and retry that prop.

Kirbyvv
08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree with Maddad. I have a 280t on my x-18 but never run it with the trim all the way down. I have a stock 260 hp sbc and am running the same prop you are. I can turn it up to 4900 rpm and about 58 mph. I don't know what I'd get for rpms and speed with the trim all the way down though.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Ralph,
What is not working with the trim system? Switch, pump, rams? Bill

ralph crocker
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Got trim working on land today with a guy standing on it so I will water test and see how prop works. Thanks
Now I need input on wiring the VDO gauge and VDO unit.None of wires hooked up.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Got trim working on land today with a guy standing on it so I will water test and see how prop works. Thanks
Now I need input on wiring the VDO gauge and VDO unit.None of wires hooked up.
This a 270t has a pin for trim got it working on land but tilt not working one switch but VDO and gauge not hooked up at all but it should move into tilt after trim pin all the way out. Still learning but have no schematic or anything so simple trial and error. Any guidance appreciated.

Ralph,
Sorry, but I am a little lost here. The only trim indicators I have seen on older Volvos involved a cable operated potentiometer which would send the signal to the gauge. As far as the 270T, I have not seen how they are set up. Maybe someone else can help. Bill

mrfixxall
08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Recently got a 73 18 Volvo 279T with original 350 Chris Craft motor (rebuilt) and original Carter carb and exhaust. Trim currently not working so running all the way down. On it now is a Solas 3x 15 5/8 x21LT I get only 4300 RPM and 52 MPH (on speedo) with 3/4 tank of gas and 2 adults. I think I need to go to a lower pitch. But what specific size and brand. There are so so many out there. If anyone has any recommendations or props that may help that I could buy I would appreciate it. Thanks

Never saw a 279t volvo drive..IN-LIGHT-IN me please..got pics?
Also if its a 290 it has a goofy trim system..

ralph crocker
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Now I am getting there. It is a 270T and it has a round plastic unit with a small cable going into the drive. Now I need to read up on what the hell a potentiometer is and how it wires for power and to the gauge

Conquistador_del_mar
08-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Now I am getting there. It is a 270T and it has a round plastic unit with a small cable going into the drive. Now I need to read up on what the hell a potentiometer is and how it wires for power and to the gauge

Yep, that is the sending unit I was talking about. You will have to read up on how it is wired, but most likely the positive lead will only be hooked up at the gauge. If the plastic sending unit only has one connection, then the only wire you will need will run from the gauge's sender connection to the plastic sender connection. Hopefully, the existing sending unit's resistance is compatable with your VDO gauge or the gauge readings will be wrong. Bill

ralph crocker
08-02-2011, 06:35 AM
I will check but I think 2 wires a black and a red.

Jim Peters
10-11-2011, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I also have the extremely rare 270T drive with the single hydraulic cylinder at the bottom of the transom mount and cannot figure out where the cable hooks to the drive unit. Also I don't have the original gauge and am looking to resolve... any ideas?
best regards,
Jim
Seattle

MOP
10-11-2011, 08:06 AM
IMO worry more about getting the mechanical things working properly, the older Volvo trim setups just plain sucked. Parts are near non existent! You can not rely on a gauge for proper trim, conditions constantly change there is no given setting for any given speed. The best indicators for correct trim is your tach and seat time.