PDA

View Full Version : Cig 24

Ghost
07-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Just getting a few more pics up now that I am back to normal bandwidth again.

GBond
07-31-2011, 11:50 PM
Beautiful.... timeless/classic lines!

Conquistador_del_mar
08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Way too cool looking. The SS anchor storage locker on the bow deck looks the same as the Magnum 27 sport. What years were the 24s produced and how many were made? Did all the 24s have the teak treatment on the deck? Bill

Greg Guimond
08-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Is that deck in as good a shape as the picture would lead one to believe? Let us know the background of the boat when you can.

gcarter
08-01-2011, 06:44 AM
That's one fine looking boat Mike.
Well done!

JimG
08-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Gorgeous!:yes:

DirtyPearl
08-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Thats fantastic! Love the teak

zelatore
08-01-2011, 09:15 AM
:clap:

Offset
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
How usual or unusual is the teak deck on a boat of that type? I have not seen this deck treatment before on a boat of this type.

Nice boat, good luck with it.

Ghost
08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks all, I'm pretty excited.

How usual or unusual is the teak deck on a boat of that type?

Way too cool looking. The SS anchor storage locker on the bow deck looks the same as the Magnum 27 sport. What years were the 24s produced and how many were made? Did all the 24s have the teak treatment on the deck? Bill
I believe it is the same anchor and mount, or virtually so. I think the first Cig 24s were only made for a couple years, if that, in the early 70s. This one is a '72. The Firefox is a bit different, and dates from the late 70s best I can tell. I don't know if they made the early ones in anything but teak. I haven't seen any that were not teak, however. I have seen a few threads/notes that say only seven were built, but don't know for sure. In my surfing, I seem to have come across maybe 5 of them. Hotboat on .org just told me he's restoring one, and I am eager to learn more about it.

Is that deck in as good a shape as the picture would lead one to believe? Let us know the background of the boat when you can.
It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Teak was completely replaced in the 90s I think. 3 owners, best I can tell. FL 'til about 2000, LOTO, then me here in MD. Twin inline sixes, upgraded to 292s (from 250s) and upgraded to new Alphas in maybe 1997. There is a little of the history of the model in here: http://www.bananaboatco.com/history-24.htm

Fishermanjm
08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
awsome boat,,, congrats

DonziChris
08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
A buddy of mine has one here in Michigan, Same teak, twin six's also.
Way cool boat.

Morgan's Cloud
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Wowsa , a real live trip down memory lane ... sigh

I wish I had kept all of my old brochures from back in the day ..

IIRC the line back then was 'Inch for inch , pound for pound , horse for horse..'

Really nice boat . Kind of like a high end GT21 on steroids.

Last Real Texan
08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Awesome!!!!!!

superhatz
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Here's how the "restoration" would go if it were mine:

-Find two small original-style cursive Cigarette decals.
-Done.

Not being a dik...I love this boat and you should prolly just sell it to me.

Aaron

:lightning

Ghost
08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Here's how the "restoration" would go if it were mine:

-Find two small original-style cursive Cigarette decals.
-Done.

Not being a dik...I love this boat and you should prolly just sell it to me.

Aaron

:lightning

Thanks--what are the original-style cursive decals/logos? Not sure I have ever seen those.

superhatz
08-04-2011, 08:35 PM
My buddy's 28...

superhatz
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
You can kind of make it out between the vents on this one....

:superman:

Ghost
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Cool! I recall ever seeing (or maybe noticing) that one. I've actually seen some large pics of Ruthie Baby, but never picked it up. If anyone runs across anyone making repros, I'd be all ears.

superhatz
08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Cool! I recall ever seeing (or maybe noticing) that one. I've actually seen some large pics of Ruthie Baby, but never picked it up. If anyone runs across anyone making repros, I'd be all ears.

Someone is making them...I'll see if I can find.

-Aaron

silverghost
08-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Who was Ruthie Baby ?

Were the Baby 14s named after her ?
Was she one of the original Cigarette Babes ?
Was she one of Don's old flames ?

The World wants to know ?

superhatz
08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Search "decals" on the OSO Cigarette forum...

Otherwise, my buddy with the 28 is going to have them made.

:)

Ghost
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Who was Ruthie Baby ?

Were the Baby 14s named after her ?
Was she one of the original Cigarette Babes ?
Was she one of Don's old flames ?

The World wants to know ?

No idea. I suppose she could be the lady in the pic Aaron posted above, depending on when that boat was named.

Ghost
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Search "decals" on the OSO Cigarette forum...

Otherwise, my buddy with the 28 is going to have them made.

:)

Thanks, found it. Of course, if someone is having some made, might help cut everyone's costs to add to the order, if that makes sense.

Mike

axelkloehn
08-05-2011, 02:58 AM
My buddy's 28...

I have the data for this logo, available as .jpg/.eps/.ai if anyone wants to get it printed in a shop

zelatore
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
So....have you gotten it wet yet now that you've got it home? What are you getting out of those 6's? I'm going to open the bidding with 55 mph...

Hotboat
08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Hey Ghost, I have the correct decals for the 72. I found an original and had a friend make some. Let me know and I will help you with them. Also, I have a copy of the original brochure that I can send you. The deck was available in teak or mahogany. Most I have heard of was teak but I am thinking of doing mine in mahogany as I like the varnished look. Dale (Hotboat)

Donzi Vol
08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Awesome boat, Mike! Good call all the way around.

Ghost
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey Ghost, I have the correct decals for the 72. I found an original and had a friend make some. Let me know and I will help you with them. Also, I have a copy of the original brochure that I can send you. The deck was available in teak or mahogany. Most I have heard of was teak but I am thinking of doing mine in mahogany as I like the varnished look. Dale (Hotboat) Thanks! PM coming.

Awesome boat, Mike! Good call all the way around.
Thanks, I'm having fun and looking forward to bringing her out to an event soon.

So....have you gotten it wet yet now that you've got it home? What are you getting out of those 6's? I'm going to open the bidding with 55 mph...

Low-mid 40s at the moment. Have to do something about that...decisions. Not sure but it does feel like you could run WOT all day though without the motors even noticing. I don't think they're working all that hard with their current cams and 2-barrels. Knock wood. Been out about 4 times now.

That said, as much as she isn't terribly fast, yesterday was kinda fun. We had company with us in the Cig, and met up with a buddy with my old Cobalt, which has 10+ mph on me right now. The river was a washing machine, as bad as I have ever seen it on a day where I chose to be out in a boat of my own. BIG rollers coming straight off the bay, 20+ mph of wind running straight upriver, etc. After rafting up in a creek for a few hours, we decided to cut and run home when the weather started worsening.

My buddy took off out of the creek just before I got out of the 6 zone. Leaned over and told my guests that he's got lots of speed on us, but he doesn't stand a chance of beating us home. And he didn't. I opened her up right away, where the water wasn't too bad yet, and he was already slowing down because 20 degrees of deadrise wasn't enough. We ran about 33 most of the way home, and never dipped below 25 (feeling the boat out and trying to keep my passengers comfy). Even so, we got everything but the props out of the water a few times.

I swear some magic happens when you get the first few feet of bow to come down on top of the next roller. The landings were feather soft when that happened. Made me think someone who knew what he was doing (and didn't have such stiff throttle cables) could probably keep it up on top, riding soft, probably by running a good bit faster.

Meanwhile, the Cobalt just got littler behind us, and then vanished. We were only going about 4 miles home, and we got in about 15 or 20 minutes ahead.

Also, it was nice to be able to drive standing up. The cockpit is laid out so you can scooch the seat back, tilt the wheel up, and stand, with a rail and the throttles right at hand height. Made it a lot easier to judge the seas, and use my legs for a little extra cushioning.

zelatore
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Low to mid 40's? That doesn't sound right. Time to go back to basics, starting with what RPM are you hitting then moving on to basic tune-up stuff like fuel filters, ignition, timing, making sure the throttles are fully open, etc. From your description that it sounds like it could run all day at WOT, I'm thinking it's not getting to rated WOT RPM.

I'm betting there's speed left on the table. It may not be a rocketship, but it's got to be faster than that. It is a Cig after all!

Ghost
08-08-2011, 04:04 AM
Low to mid 40's? That doesn't sound right. Time to go back to basics, starting with what RPM are you hitting then moving on to basic tune-up stuff like fuel filters, ignition, timing, making sure the throttles are fully open, etc. From your description that it sounds like it could run all day at WOT, I'm thinking it's not getting to rated WOT RPM.

I'm betting there's speed left on the table. It may not be a rocketship, but it's got to be faster than that. It is a Cig after all!

Agreed. 43-4400 RPM, 1.5 ratio drives I think, 19 inch props. I get right around 15 % slip when I spreadsheet it.

BTW, some folks had asked me what it weiged (including you at AOTH), and I had a blurry spec sheet I couldn't read that said 4?00 lbs. Had me guessing somewhere from 4200 to 4800--I just couldn't make it out. Hotboat just sent me a better copy of that sheet and it says, to my joy, 4000 lbs.

I completely concur, with the right power and/or tweaks, she ought to be a mid 50s boat at least.

Ghost
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM

So, with a little more experience, I think it's the cams and carbs. The motors are 292 remans, and I don't think they have anything approaching the marine cam. I think they are just truck motors. My guess is the HP is less than 165 apiece (and 165 was the Merc 250's horsepower, where the Merc 292s were 200 horse).

A starter burned out and I came home on one motor. Could have pulled a skier. Ran at 27 on maybe 3/4 throttle on a happy plane. These motors, as they are right now, appear to be all low end grunt with no top end. I found some literature that said the 292 bread truck motors had all torque but as little as 115 HP in some forms. My guess is these are running about 145-160 HP each right now.

If I stay with the sixes, I think the biggest question will be finding cams...

Craig S
09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Beautiful boat, Ghost!!!!! Is that replacing the Nova?
Great pedigree, too.
Craig

Ghost
09-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks, and yes, the Nova will eventually be going. My plans are to leave the Chesapeake for other parts of the country. The Nova is a great fit here (and anywhere with big water) but isn't really a boat I want to trailer around to lakes. So, sadly, we will be parting ways.

Craig S
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
is it a "smaller" 24 than the Nova? Or is it the drive units?

Seems the Nova, the Formula 23, and the 7 Meter all are about the same kind of boat for towing.
Fairly tall, beamy, and carry their full beam forward from the transom quite a distance, compared to, say, a 22 Donzi.

Ghost
09-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Cig is nontrivially lower freeboard, a few inches narrower, 10 inches shorter, and maybe 1000-1500 lbs lighter. But as you say, the running gear being i/o and able to tilt up, rather than below and fixed, makes a huge difference for trailering, including launching. The Nova is going to be at least 30" into the water no matter what, even more when dropping in on an angle.