PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

ANGUS
07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Had a bad day on the Chesapeake today the weatherman said it would be great but we hit 4 squall and blew out the windshield in the last one. It is a '92 22 classic with the stainless frame. Anyone know about replacing the primary windshield panel? It looks like smoked flat stock plexiglass or something similar. Thanks:(

zelatore
07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Been there, done that... I had a local plastics shop (Tap Plastics) make me a new one using the remains of my old one for a template. Luckily I only broke it into 2 major and a couple of minor pieces. Wasn't very expensive as I remember, maybe $100? It's been a few years, so I might have that number off a bit but it wasn't bad.

RickSE
08-02-2011, 10:32 AM
yes, it's pretty easy, you can even do it yourself if you can get the material. There are several posts on here discussing new windshield panels.

ANGUS
08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the comments. I have about 60% of my windshield left so my plan is to measure the frame carefully, find the midpoint, cut the remaining windshield at the midpoint, trace it on firm cardboard or something, flip it and finish tracing the "gone" section which should leave me with a good template. I am open to ideas if they are out there?:yes:

CHACHI
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
DON'T CUT IT.

Just mark the midpoint top and bottom and use the midpoints as the new "edge".

Ken

RickSE
08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Angus,

Here's one of the old windshield posts.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35745&highlight=makrolon

I made a template off my old plexi and cut the new one with a jig saw. Let me know if you get stuck, I can probably send you a full scale paper template.