PDA

View Full Version : Enough power?

ljoyce
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
We are considering buying a 2001 Donzi Z22. Power: Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha 1 Drive With 3 Blade 21 Pitch Stainless Steel Prop
Are we gonna be happy with this power supply? We are not looking to race the boat :) We are lake cruisers and want to be able to have a blast with it, comfortably pull adult slolum skiers (who have heavier bottoms now than used to!), pull adult wakeboarders and tubing. Wanna make sure we arent under powered before we decide to buy. Also it is coming with a single axel trailer, That's somewhat concerning...., should we be??? They are asking $22,000. Fair price?? Thanks for your expert opinions. I hope the answers are "yes" to all the above. This is a sweet boat!!

zelatore
07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure what performance to expect from a Z22 with that power; I'm going to guess about 50-55 mph, but somebody here more familer with that hull will certainly chime in with more specifics.

And while I haven't followed prices on the Z's, that does sound a bit steep for an '01 with a 5.7 package.

techspecial
08-01-2011, 08:48 AM
That's the original power in my 20' Minx...Topped out at 51 MPH with the 21 pitch. I also have a single axle trailer...Too small...A little scary with light tongue weight.

zelatore
08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
It's hard to compare the Z hull to a classic hull, so I was trying to avoid drawing conclusions between them. I still think somewhere in the low 50's is about right though.

The single axle trailer is a bit unusual for a 22' boat, but I wouldn't be scared of it. I've towed a 19' boat on a single literally across the country with no worries. Singles turn easier and are easier to roll by hand if you're trying to move it around the driveway or the garage. They're also cheaper to maintain (half the hubs to grease, half the brakes to worry about, half the tires to replace...) But I would make sure it's fully rated for the weight of your boat+gear.

That's also one more thing that makes me feel the asking price is a bit high. Even if the trailer is 100% up to the task, many people would think they 'need' a tandem and therefor the single is worth less 'psychologically'.

Fishermanjm
08-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Don,,, what part of sacramento do u live in? my daughter just moved there from san diego

ljoyce
08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks ya'll. I guess we are more concerned about the initial stomp the engine is going to give us, rather than the ultimate speed we can get out of it. Is it gonna have enough juice to pop someone out of the water easily??

Conquistador_del_mar
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks ya'll. I guess we are more concerned about the initial stomp the engine is going to give us, rather than the ultimate speed we can get out of it. Is it gonna have enough juice to pop someone out of the water easily??

Although I do not have experience with the 22ZX, I do have numerous hours of slalom experience and have owned many boats. In my opinion, a 22' boat really needs a big block engine for the needs you are describing from pulling slalom skiers to cruising at decent speeds. You could install a lower pitch prop on the 22 to help with the skiing, but you then sacrifice a decent cruising speed. When the deep V hulls get to the 20+' and 3000lb range, I think you want a big block with a heavier duty outdrive to do what you have in mind. As a skier, there is nothing worse than being dragged for too long until the boat can get up on plane - it wears you out and makes it harder to get up for many skiers. Just my opinion. Bill

zelatore
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Although I do not have experience with the 22ZX, I do have numerous hours of slalom experience and have owned many boats. In my opinion, a 22' boat really needs a big block engine for the needs you are describing from pulling slalom skiers to cruising at decent speeds. You could install a lower pitch prop on the 22 to help with the skiing, but you then sacrifice a decent cruising speed. When the deep V hulls get to the 20+' and 3000lb range, I think you want a big block with a heavier duty outdrive to do what you have in mind. As a skier, there is nothing worse than being dragged for too long until the boat can get up on plane - it wears you out and makes it harder to get up for many skiers. Just my opinion. Bill

Agreed. I learned to ski behind a 19' 305 powered boat that didn't come up on plane quickly and it was a bear. In later years I had 'experienced' skiiers who had only been behind true ski boats who litereally couldn't get up behind that old Renken. A combination of slow hole-shot and no tower to pull 'up' (I just had a tranom eye to pull from). A good skiier will be able to ski behind almost anything. I've managed to get up by dragging a foot behind even extremely underpowered boats like a 'toon and a john boat.

(neither had enough power to get me up unless I drug a foot though...I did it more just to prove I could than for any actual enjoyment as the boats were far too slow to really ski behind)

In a boat that size I would be looking for a big block for hole shots too. However, I again should say I don't have any direct experience with that hull.

Don,,, what part of sacramento do u live in? my daughter just moved there from san diego

I'm about 30 miles down-river in a little town called Walnut Grove. Population about 700-800. Nice little town, just big enough to have a hardware store, gas station, grocery, ATM, etc. 1 draw bridge, 0 traffic lights.