PDA

View Full Version : 454 submerged in salt water

tnc110
07-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Hit a submerged object going 25-30... outdrive seal failed and started taking on water. water got halfway up motor..about to the heads. Got her on the trailer...outdrive mount is broken badly, trim cylinders bent, prop damaged, outdrive leaking oil.

took her to the car wash and disconnected the water pickup tube, laid the water to it and let her run for a cpl minutes. the warning alarm is sounding, good oil pressure and never got hot, hoping there is a sensor in the outdrive oil res??? stpayed out the engine bay.

bottom of hull is damaged a little, doesn't appear to be bad or a structural issue.

Now what? I plan on making an insurance claim. The boat is a 97 donzi 25zx...book value is about 15k, i had it covered for 20k. Are they going to total the boat? If they don't, is the salt water submergence going to cause endless problems down the road?

Anything I need to do to the boat before it is repaired.

mrfixxall
07-30-2011, 04:44 PM
hate to say it but with the damage you mentioned they will may total it, remember its always 20% your fault so that leaves 80% left of the blue book value of the boat....+ side it being a older boat you could probably buy it back.

you will probably need a gimbal housing which is around 2500.00,if the drive is a total loss theirs another 5000, prop another 500.00, labor to R&R engine to replace the gimbal im gonna guess high 1600.00--2000.00..depends on how bad the bottom is im going to say another1000.00 to fix it..The list will go on,,trim pump was under water,trim tab pump or pumps,engine lift motor and or pump..you will most likely need to be replaced due to the salt water.add another 2000.00 with the labor..

Its going to be close...

good luck with the insurance if its progressive..their jerks when it comes to claims.

p.s. make sure you tell them that the boat partially submerged,as long as you get the salty water out it should not be any problems.

MOP
07-31-2011, 07:48 AM
The engine should survive Ok I have saved many over the years, as to your claim your insurance should pay all but your deductible. I had a claim with Progressive they paid with no questions after their rep inspected it.

mrfixxall
07-31-2011, 01:02 PM
The engine should survive Ok I have save many over the years, as to your claim your insurance should pay all but your deductible. I had a claim with Progressive they paid with no questions after their rep inspected it.

mop progressive use to be good about it but since the economy went belly up they really make you jump through hoops to even get them to pay the claim..
distrust has allot to do with it,,its not like it use to be..

had a friend last month that hit some rocks,,had 4 witnesses on the boat that progressive did a deposition to all of them and progressive denied the claim..the ears on his props were rolled over and they still said it was drivers error and should have not been on the lake....

mrfixxall
07-31-2011, 01:11 PM
The engine should survive Ok I have save many over the years, as to your claim your insurance should pay all but your deductible. I had a claim with Progressive they paid with no questions after their rep inspected it.

mop progressive use to be good about it but since the economy went belly up they really make you jump through hoops to even get them to pay the claim..
distrust has allot to do with it,,its not like it use to be..

had a friend last month that hit some rocks,,had 4 witnesses on the boat that progressive did a deposition to all of them and progressive denied the claim..the ears on his props were rolled over and they still said it was drivers error and should have not been on the lake....

RickSE
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
My coworkers 1996 18C got swamped in fresh water for 4-6 hours. He had minimal hull damage, no outdrive damage but water did get in the motor. His insurance company totalled the boat due to a $14K repair estimate. A new motor drove the price up but one of the biggest hitters was all the new electrical stuff due to water intrusion. He bought it back, rebuilt the motor, repaired some gel-kote and is using the boat again.

GeneD
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
The alarm is probably the outdrive gear oil monitor.
Disconnect it for now.
Sorry about your boat...

tnc110
08-04-2011, 12:03 PM
How much was the buy back and how much was the book value?i

My coworkers 1996 18C got swamped in fresh water for 4-6 hours. He had minimal hull damage, no outdrive damage but water did get in the motor. His insurance company totalled the boat due to a $14K repair estimate. A new motor drove the price up but one of the biggest hitters was all the new electrical stuff due to water intrusion. He bought it back, rebuilt the motor, repaired some gel-kote and is using the boat again.

RickSE
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I think his buy back was around $2500 and the boat was covered for $14K w/o trailer.

silverghost
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I would buy the boat back & have the drive system, engine and hull damage repaired if it were my boat.
Especially if that is the buy-back price..

tnc110
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
If it does get totaled, then will they insure it again after it is repaired? Will the title then become a salvage title?

RickSE
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
If it does get totaled, then will they insure it again after it is repaired? Will the title then become a salvage title?

My coworker didn't have any trouble with re-insurance after his buyback & repair. His claim was listed as an act of nature since the boat was swamped in a storm so I'm not sure how this effected everything.

tnc110
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
good to know.

Looks like I had the motor and boat insured separately. They are going to total the motor and repair the boat...

mrfixxall
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
good to know.

Looks like I had the motor and boat insured separately. They are going to total the motor and repair the boat...

Total the motor! Woo Hoo i see a future 502 going in the boat :)

tnc110
08-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I think the motor is insured for 9k. just picked up an outdrive and transom assembly for 2500...still need a prop and a few other misc parts...prob, batteries, starter, alternator.... pay the marina to do the install. (btw...how much should I prepare to spend on install, motor has to be pulled. some have said 3 days , and others have said its no more than 10 hrs worth of work)

I think I will just do an intake and exhaust on the ole 454 and use the rest of the money to do a few other things to her...stereo, interior work, some vinyl for the hull...

mrfixxall
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I think the motor is insured for 9k. just picked up an outdrive and transom assembly for 2500...still need a prop and a few other misc parts...prob, batteries, starter, alternator.... pay the marina to do the install. (btw...how much should I prepare to spend on install, motor has to be pulled. some have said 3 days , and others have said its no more than 10 hrs worth of work)

I think I will just do an intake and exhaust on the ole 454 and use the rest of the money to do a few other things to her...stereo, interior work, some vinyl for the hull...

as long as you dont find any cracks in the fiberglass and its just to r&r the engine, gimbal, transon then aleign engine coupler i can do it in a day..

biggiefl
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I literally watched my mechanic remove an engine, replace the oil pan and install it and running in 56 minutes. I left the plug in on my 24' Baja for God knows how long and it flooded up to the plugs. We drianed the oil a few times and eventually replaced the starter but she was fine for at 3 years until I sold her.