PDA

View Full Version : John Deere vrs Cub Cadet

blackboat
07-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Would like the opinions of members ! I am looking to buy a John Deere D110 riding mower w/ a Briggs engine or a Cub Cadet riding mower with a Kohler engine.
Both are automatic trans ,both are about $1600 dollars.
My Murray lasted 15 years and now needs a valve job. I dont feel its worth spending any money on at this time.
Have read good and some bad reviews on both tractors.
Any help or advice would be appreciated !!:boggled:

glashole
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
can't go wrong with either

Walt. H.
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
My current garden tractor is a CubCadet bought new in 1997 with a 46" mower deck, since I can't afford a real Johndeere and I've only replaced blades since 97' and one mower deck bearing.
But I think a Kohler engine is better then a Briggs like a Honda is better then the both, but my tractor has a Briggs twin cyl 18 hp not a Kohler.
Either way for $1600.00 go for which ever one has the larger cutting deck and don't look back.

Barry Eller
07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
My 1997 MTD Yardmachine, 42" cut, 15 HP Koehler, just this morning, the deck dropped down on the left side. My yard now looks like the haircuts some of the young guys are getting...you know, very uneven. I'm not sure what happened yet,(I suspect it has rusted out) and it's hot as hell outside now. I'm not wanting to go work on the damn lawn mower! Just bought 4 quarts of Valvoline synthetic drive oil to put in the King Cobra Outdrive...may just go to Lowes and get that bright red Troy Built they have on sale...

Walt. H.
07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
My 1997 MTD Yardmachine, 42" cut, 15 HP Koehler, just this morning, the deck dropped down on the left side. My yard now looks like the haircuts some of the young guys are getting...you know, very uneven. I'm not sure what happened yet,(I suspect it has rusted out) and it's hot as hell outside now. I'm not wanting to go work on the damn lawn mower! Just bought 4 quarts of Valvoline synthetic drive oil to put in the King Cobra Outdrive...may just go to Lowes and get that bright red Troy Built they have on sale...
Barry,
Either your left rear tire is down on air or you dropped a linkage rod on the same side or lost a boogie mower deck wheel?
Ps;
Don't buy that Troy Built at Lowes today unless you're ready to be cursed at again next month for buying the last one available? :bonk:Hah ha!

Marvair
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I bought the Cub Cadet because of the Koehler motor. Mine is a 42 ztr and love it! You never have to worry about too tight a turn and makes a nice clean cut with mulching blades. I bought mine off craigs list with 16hrs for 900.00 There are plenty to choose from.

Marvin.

blackboat
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
I bought the Cub Cadet because of the Koehler motor. Mine is a 42 ztr and love it! You never have to worry about too tight a turn and makes a nice clean cut with mulching blades. I bought mine off craigs list with 16hrs for 900.00 There are plenty to choose from.

Marvin.

I like the Kohler engine also,the Cub Cadet 1420 comes with a 20 hp Kohler. I believe the new John Deeres only come with Briggs

Offset
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I do not have either brand but mine is powered by Koehler. It is a 15 horsepower unit with an lubricating system that is pressurized. I change the oil and filter once per season. The thing is a true work horse, a solid and dependable motor. Lots of torque, it pulls trailers of dirt and rock around with ease. It has a hydro static transmission that works wonders, I would not buy one with a manual transmission.

If I was looking for another tractor I would want the Koehler engine no matter the brand of machine.

dsparis
07-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Never fails
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg/800px-Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg)

MOP
07-30-2011, 05:17 AM
I have been hanging on this site for many years, you can get a ton of input on any yard equipment.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/index.php

Barry Eller
07-30-2011, 06:23 AM
:nilly:
Barry,
Either your left rear tire is down on air or you dropped a linkage rod on the same side or lost a boogie mower deck wheel?
Ps;
Don't buy that Troy Built at Lowes today unless you're ready to be cursed at again next month for buying the last one available? :bonk:Hah ha!

One of the brackets on the deck broke off...I have the deck off and in the back of my truck. I'll take it to work Monday and weld it back on. Damn Kohler engine just won't quit. I've been looking for an excuse to get a new mower, (one with cup holders!) but this one just keeps on going, and going! And I kind of like the "textured" pattern of my lawn that the broken deck left. Yeah, getting cussed at for buying the new outdrive was proof the "Lunatics are running the Asylum" here lately.

:nilly:

mrfixxall
07-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Never fails
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg/800px-Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Domestic_goat_feeding_on_capeweed.jpg)

+++1

And you get your lawn fertilised at the same time!

motorcity
07-30-2011, 10:39 PM
If the John Deere has a Tuff Torq K46 axle, I'd steer clear. If you got to the tractor forum, reference in a post above. They are notorious for failing. And a replacement axle is over $600. The axle is under sized for the application, and if you have hilly yard they burn up. A Cub Cadet would be a better choice.

penbroke
07-31-2011, 08:58 AM
If the John Deere has a Tuff Torq K46 axle, I'd steer clear. If you got to the tractor forum, reference in a post above. They are notorious for failing. And a replacement axle is over $600. The axle is under sized for the application, and if you have hilly yard they burn up. A Cub Cadet would be a better choice.

Been there, done that. The low end models or either that are sold at Home Depot or Lowes type places are junk. I had a JD L120 that was junk with less than 200 hours on the clock. I replaced it with a used CC 3240 and have not looked back.

Get a higher end machine if you can, even if you have to go used.

Frank

f_inscreenname
07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
My John Deere never sent me a Dear John letter.:yes:

blackboat
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Good to know ! That could be a deal breaker.