PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta 200 Regular Maintenance?

300EVIL
07-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Hey Guys!

Now that I have my engine up and running, I want to make sure the outdrive is clean and ready for service. I'm good with engines and most electronics but know next to nothing about servicing outdrives.

It's been sitting for 3 years and I just had the prop cleaned and balanced. I was thinking about changing the gear lube in it and throwing a grease gun on the nipples,,, other than that, I really have no clue if there is anything else I should inspect.

Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of my outdrive...

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/hightechstuff2/My%20Donzi/DSC_0169.jpg

Also, I was looking into those "hydrofoils" that bolt on to the cavatation plate. Are they snake oil or are they awesome? If they are worth it, what model is good? I want to eventually get some trim tabs which is probably WAAAY better but it was just a thought.
Thanks!
Adam

300EVIL
07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh, also, the steering seems really smooth but the shifter is really tight, tighter than most of the boats I've driven in the past. Is there anything I should inspect and or lube to make it smoother?

mattyboy
07-28-2011, 06:35 AM
remove the shift cover then remove the connection for the cable off of the linkage . see how the drive shifts by hand turn the flange to the left and right with the prop removed you can tell when it drops into gear. then see how the cable moves free of the linakge. this is usually caused by a cable going bad or adjustment on the linkage or cable end.

JimG
07-28-2011, 06:43 AM
300Evil, get a volvo manual off of ebay. The AQ's are very easy to maintain. Others I know have switched to gear oil, but I still run 30wt (spec'd by Volvo). Good either way. My drive is original (41 years old), and looks new on the inside.

Change the oil, squirt some good grease in the zerks and forget about it.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Jim in Texas

300EVIL
07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
remove the shift cover then remove the connection for the cable off of the linkage . see how the drive shifts by hand turn the flange to the left and right with the prop removed you can tell when it drops into gear. then see how the cable moves free of the linakge. this is usually caused by a cable going bad or adjustment on the linkage or cable end.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Thanks!

300Evil, get a volvo manual off of ebay. The AQ's are very easy to maintain. Others I know have switched to gear oil, but I still run 30wt (spec'd by Volvo). Good either way. My drive is original (41 years old), and looks new on the inside.
Change the oil, squirt some good grease in the zerks and forget about it.
Good luck and enjoy!!

Jim in Texas

Excellent advice! I'll get the manual. What's in there right now is "Type C" gear fluid. It looks clear from the dipstick but probably should be changed anyway. Thanks!