PDA

View Full Version : more fish-able

locomoco
07-25-2011, 11:47 PM
I recently acquired a 2000 Z275 and was wanting to make it a bit more fish-able. Mainly, I was thinking about removing the spoiler and installing a radar tower farther up toward the windshield. I really don't know how to remove the spoiler except for taking a hacksaw to it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Mckillop
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
I recently acquired a 2000 Z275 and was wanting to make it a bit more fish-able. Mainly, I was thinking about removing the spoiler and installing a radar tower farther up toward the windshield. I really don't know how to remove the spoiler except for taking a hacksaw to it. Any suggestions appreciated.

By "spoiler" I assume you are referring to the radar arch? Not sure why you would want to move that unless it would be in the way of your down riggers? I cant say I would recommend taking a hacksaw to it unless you never plan on selling it. I would try to work around it as best you can, or you are going to have a tough time if you ever want to sell it, not to mention it may look really ugly.

zelatore
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I haven't messed with that particular boat but most small boats have a bolt-on arch. Look closely and you'll likely be able to see where it seperates from the hull. I'm sure it wasn't molded as one piece!

It shouldn't be too hard to remove - cut some caulking, pull off some access pannels, have a couple buddies hold it up, and unbolt the thing. You may have to make some sort of block off plates or something to cover the mess where it was, but that wouldn't be too hard to do.

If you were local to me here in NorCal I could likely walk you though it in an hour.

If you're not running radar there's no need for the arch. Most small boats like this only have one for styling. You'll likely have your anchor light on it, and maybe some speakes or overhead lights and it probably supports your canvas, but those are all easy to deal with if you want to go without.

Honestly I don't think it's a great idea. But at least if you're careful it will be reversable later.

locomoco
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
By "spoiler" I assume you are referring to the radar arch? Not sure why you would want to move that unless it would be in the way of your down riggers? I cant say I would recommend taking a hacksaw to it unless you never plan on selling it. I would try to work around it as best you can, or you are going to have a tough time if you ever want to sell it, not to mention it may look really ugly.

Yeah, I meant the radar arch. I just think it would create much more space especially for casting. Thanks

locomoco
07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I haven't messed with that particular boat but most small boats have a bolt-on arch. Look closely and you'll likely be able to see where it seperates from the hull. I'm sure it wasn't molded as one piece!

It shouldn't be too hard to remove - cut some caulking, pull off some access pannels, have a couple buddies hold it up, and unbolt the thing. You may have to make some sort of block off plates or something to cover the mess where it was, but that wouldn't be too hard to do.

If you were local to me here in NorCal I could likely walk you though it in an hour.

If you're not running radar there's no need for the arch. Most small boats like this only have one for styling. You'll likely have your anchor light on it, and maybe some speakes or overhead lights and it probably supports your canvas, but those are all easy to deal with if you want to go without.

Honestly I don't think it's a great idea. But at least if you're careful it will be reversable later.

Thanks Zelatore. Too bad I'm not up in NorCal. I would definitely take you up on it.

DonziJosh
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
It's definitely a bolt-on. It's been a few years, but I'm almost positive that on a 275, if you pop off the cockpit coaming pads, you'll find easy access to the bolts that secure the arch. 5200 may have been used, but I don't think we were using methacrylate adhesive (like Plexus, etc.) on the arch, so you should be able to get it off in one piece. Then, it's just a matter of cleaning up some sealant and patching a few holes.

Put it on eBay! As many 275s and 255s that were built over the years, there is surely someone who wants that arch.