PDA

View Full Version : Really sucks

Buddyc
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
As some of you may know, I have a painting company and have been working for myself for years.
Work has slowed up and just missed out on a huge contract. After 20 years of being my own boss I may be taking a job with with a coporate company... That is what it has come to...
I had a real bad summer and what really sucks is that I may have to sell the Mistress. It kills me but family comes first and the mortgage company. Right now I just dont see how im going to come up with an extra 10grand or so to complete her. I just feel defeted and deflated.
If it is something you may be interested in them PM me. I live in NJ
Im drinking heavily tonight....:eek:

Ghost
07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Really sorry to hear it, that's sad news. Best of luck with the new gig, and I hope things work out well for you. You've got friends here.

Mike

Phil S
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Really sorry to hear it, that's sad news. Best of luck with the new gig, and I hope things work out well for you. You've got friends here.

Mike

+1

I truly hope things turn around quickly for you. This economy has taken it's toll on a lot of folks.

With kind regards,
Phil

mrfixxall
07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
ok i have a solution!

here is what i have

1 314 cid small block (pushed my boat around 60 mph)

1 bravo bell housing

1 coupler

1 holley carb.

1 crank mount sea pump

4 gaffrig gaugeswhite face oil,water temp,oil pressure amd a volt meter

2 new stock merc manifolds(will need risers)

1 holley hp fuel pump

1 power steering pump

2 motor mounts

1 carb throttle bracket

1 engine wire harness ? will have to find it

1 alternator

all the engine will need is a set of 58cc vortec heads and alternator bracket? (i may have one but have to look) and a intake manifold and

ok what else??

you can use all the above until you get on your feet then pay what little you can at any time you need..the stuff it just sitting in boxs and the engine has been wraped up since 2000..

Walt. H.
07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Buddy,
Keeping the boat on the side lines for a while won't cost you any unless you're paying monthly storage rent, and working for a company should also free you from the stress of running your own show and afford you more personal free family time as well w/o having to take the business paper work home and all that goes with it everyday.

Might just be a blessing in disguise for you in the long run?:angel:
Stay Positive in thought!
WH

Buddyc
07-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Buddy,
Keeping the boat on the side lines for a while won't cost you any unless you're paying monthly storage rent, and working for a company should also free you from the stress of running your own show and afford you more personal free family time as well w/o having to take the business paper work home and all that goes with it everyday.

Might just be a blessing in disguise for you in the long run?:angel:
Stay Positive in thought!
WH
Im tryin Walt. But the thing is after not having anything come in for a month or so , Whatever money that is tucked away goes to bills and daily expences... That Money and savings is going out the window. I know im not alone in this country that is having problems, and this is far from a pity party for me. I really do appriciate people reaching out... It means more than you know.
Im holding out as long as I can, but it may just come down to needing money "that Bad"...Its exausting...

Walt. H.
07-26-2011, 12:00 AM
I understand I was in that situation back in the summer 1976 when I was between jobs, that was a scary time when everything is up in the air.
I don't know how good you are but I have a hunch you have a good following in the trade you're in and people that know your talent, just let them know you're available and how serious you are for employment and I bet you'll be offered more work then you can handle.
Hang tough amego!

Conquistador_del_mar
07-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Buddy, I hope something comes around to get you back on top. A wise man told me his life story about 20 years ago where he did not lose faith in his struggling business. He was 3 steps away from his office door leaving for the Christmas holidays when the phone rang. After debating for a second, he rushed back in to take the call. It was a customer needing a large order that no one else was able to fill over the holidays. That one order made enough difference to keep him in business which eventually grew to be a large Dallas based marine supplier - Marine and Industrial Supplies. Keep the faith - :yes: Bill

axelkloehn
07-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Buddy, I know exactly how you feel... I was my own boss for about 15 years and lost a big customer in 2007, I was struggling for almost a year and did not know how to pay for house and family anymore, and suddenly around christmas time in 2007 a big aircraft manufacturer located in my hometown rang me up and asked if I would be interested in working for them as an employee. I did a testing day and the next week I was already sitting in the new office. This is now 3.5 years ago and I am still working for them. Sometimes I miss the time when I was my own boss, but now I have other advantages- it is a 9-5 job and when I am home I can relax and don't have to think too much about my business and I have 30 days paid vacation...!
It took me a while to recover cause I was building up some pile of depts in 2007, but now I am almost on the sunny side again.

And one thing I am proud of is: I have restored two rare classic cars which are worth quite a lot and best would be to sell them when you need the money, but I was so confident that things will run better one day again that I decided to keep them against all family advice. It was a hard time and the cars where stored away in many different places, even outside under soft covers... but I still have them and everyday I look at them now I have a smile in my face.

Keep the Donzi, things will be better soon... :crossfing:

Offset
07-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Buddy, I hope things work out for you. It is tough being your own boss on occasion but I have always believed that those who want to work will. Go back to the basics of your business, you know what works and does not at this point. Try to build again from the benefits of the knowledge you already have. It will work out for you. Never give up.:crossfing::)

zelatore
07-26-2011, 10:13 AM
There are plenty of us in the same boat with you Buddy. I know George Carter has been talking about selling his Testerossa project for pretty much the same reasons. I don't think he's got it quite as hard as you but certainly things have slowed considerably for him.

The same for me. I'm in the yacht business and things have been really bad the last couple years. I've had to moth-ball my 22 project, but I haven't given up on it, just delayed it. I've even spent some time looking for a 'normal' job though I haven't seen anything given California's economy is even worse than the national average. But we're starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I've had slow but steady work this summer - not enough to hire my crew back but enough to keep me busy. It's even looking like this fall I might be able to get back to working on my boat instead of just pinching pennies.

Hold on - just moth-ball the 18 for now. It's not costing you anything to sit there, and you know if you sell it you'll spend a lot more than you get later just to get back to were you are now. Right now you've got more time than money, so try to do some little things that are time intensive but cheap. Wet sanding/buffing - stuff like that doesn't cost much at all but takes ages. Great time for that sort of work.

Keep the faith. You made it 20 years - now just hold out a little longer!

Fixx - hell of an offer. Way to go!

handfulz28
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Right now you've got more time than money, so try to do some little things that are time intensive but cheap. Wet sanding/buffing - stuff like that doesn't cost much at all but takes ages. Great time for that sort of work.

That's a great idea. It's probably the worst part of any project, but it needs to be done before anything else. And you know when you get back to work, you won't have any time to work on the boat. :bonk:

Buddyc
07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Thing with the boat im real close to paint...Im the kind of person that prides myself on being a glass half full kinda guy. Keeping fingers crossed.
I gog to tell you. any idea what it is like trying to update a 20 yr old resume?lol

zelatore
07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I gog to tell you. any idea what it is like trying to update a 20 yr old resume?lol

Well, not quite 20 years old but close enough. Not the most fun, is it?!? :eek:

Donziweasel
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
You can get a set of Vortec heads from Summit for 500.00. Keep the mistress Buddy. It is paid for and if it takes 10 years to complete it, it will be worth it.

I will look around and see what spare parts I can donate as well.

Post a list of what you need and lets see what everyone can come up with. :)

A freind in need......is a freind who needs a running restored Donzi! :)

f_inscreenname
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
It's not costing you anything to sit there, and you know if you sell it you'll spend a lot more than you get later just to get back to were you are now. Right now you've got more time than money, so try to do some little things that are time intensive but cheap. Wet sanding/buffing - stuff like that doesn't cost much at all but takes ages. Great time for that sort of work.
Fixx - hell of an offer. Way to go!
Wow Fixxx. Nice going. Got a casale C1000 V drive in that box of your?? lol
Zel, that's the way it's done. I've been out of work for months now. My time is valuable to me so every minute I have (at least 8 hours a day) I spend on the things I only dreamed of doing before because of the time. All those things that don’t cost money.
What ever you have, prep and organize it even if you don’t plan on using it for another year. Get you parts painted. Wet sand the hull. Chase all your wiring. Polish anything you can. Redo the trailer. What ever you can.
People think I'm on crack because I get a lot done over short times. The secrete is always keep moving forward even if you don’t have the parts. Just move on to something else.
Here is an example. I decided to re-do my Nova last winter. Spent two months hunting eBay and doing anything I could to get ready for spring. When spring came I did what I had. If you watch the movie you would think I got some pictures mixed up but that’s just how they happened. There is no rule that says you have to do things in any order. If you can hold on to it. It’s an asset and should be treated as such. If you can make money on it then let it go but if not (and you still need to let it go) you should do anything you can to it so it will make money even if not complete.

http://www.youtube.com/user/finscreenname?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/qffe4Jt_fE8

Buddyc
07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
It will be a total last resort to sell her, Im working on flyers, phone calls and whatever it takes...Keeping fingers crossed

harbormaster
07-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Hang in there man. Its not so bad working for someone else. A lot of times its involves less stress. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Oh and thanks to all of you who are providing moral support to one of our own.

Scot V

Buddyc
07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks alot Scott... And I know I can speak for the overwhelming majority here and we wish you nothing but the best in dealing with your fight

Phil S
07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
+1000

Buddyc
08-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Well , it is going to be put up for sale. I am working on a price with what I have get out of her. Also have an aluminum I beam trailer with fold away tongue . It's a sad day...

f_inscreenname
08-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Truly sad!
Sorry dude.

scippy
08-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Hopefully, there's better days ahead for ya. Afterall, it's only a boat.

Buddyc
08-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Agreed Skippy, i:boggled: am by no means giving up but have to be realistic, I can make 3 mortgage payments for what the boat is worth. I'm being realistic if I will be able to finish her soon. Thanks for the support!

blackboat
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Family comes first,I would sell anything I had if my family was in need!

When I got married I owned a 72 Corvette and a Checkmate. We needed money to build a house so I sold both of them.
I promised myself I would eventually get something later when I could afford it and a few years later I owned my first 18 foot Donzi.

This economy sucks right now and makes things hard on a lot of good hard working people !