PDA

View Full Version : New to me Cj7

BlakeSullivan
07-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Well I bought this jeep 4 years ago bone stock and fixed it up then sold it about 2 years ago , I was able to buy it back much cheaper than I sold it, I just put new seats in it last week, I figured since there seems to be a large amount of jeep people around I would post a few pics.

Kirbyvv
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice. What year is it? I've got a '78 that I bought new in '78, waiting for a restoration.

BlakeSullivan
07-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks , its a 1981

CJmike
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice looking jeep.

Ghost
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Ditto--looks great. Curious what the towing capacity of a CJ7 is, if anyone knows. I guess it varies based on stick/auto, if they made automatics.

zelatore
07-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Nice looking rig. Are those about 33's?

I was up in the Mineral King part of Sequoia NP this weekend and got my annual 'I want a Jeep' vibe going. Granted, I'd be looking at a JK instead of a CJ, but by the time I get around to actually moving on that project they'll have a new rig out anyway.

Ditto--looks great. Curious what the towing capacity of a CJ7 is, if anyone knows. I guess it varies based on stick/auto, if they made automatics.

Answer: very low.
Power or tranny aren't the limiting factors for Jeep towing, it's wheelbase. I don't know what the factory ratings are, but I can tell you I wouldn't want to put much weight behind it at all out on the freeway or in the mountains. Couple thousand pounds - maybe. Of course, for moving a trailer around the driveway/garage or at the ramp it would be hard to be a Jeep. Short wheelbase, great gearing, lots of traction...a CJ would be GREAT for that. Lock both axles, air it down, and put it in 4-LO, and I bet you could pull just about anything up the worst ramp you can find.

GBond
07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Predictable...seen that coming! I'll give the benefit of doubt, that's not the primary
tow vehicle, but more of a photo op.

Nice Jeep

hdsadey
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
When I was in high school we had a 75 CJ5 with a 232 straight 6 and a 3 speed. It was a stump puller and we often towed a 18 Arrowglass CC that prolly weighed more than the Jeep. It did great unless you had to panic stop then good luck. I remember one afternoon going tarpon fishing we were at the ramp gettin ready to launch when we had to unhook twice to pull out guys that couldn't pull out the ramp due to slippery conditions. 2600 lb Jeep pullin fullsize truck, trailer, and boat. I love Jeeps!!!!!!!

BlakeSullivan
07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=zelatore;608897]Nice looking rig. Are those about 33's?

Yes they are the BFG Mud Terrains on eagle alloys , I put a Pro Comp 4 inch lift with transfer case drop and upgraded the drive shafts along with installing Mosher axels.

Ghost
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I was a little unclear--assumed it wasn't a long-haul tow rig, was just curious what specs were really like.

It's a gorgeous machine. As much as I love sports-car convertibles, sometimes I think Jeep is the way to go. You can only get so much time on good, winding roads, with little traffic. The way most of us get to drive, sitting up in an open jeep, plus the off-road ability, is pretty practical as impractical things go.

What's the power plant? I'm used to the more recent 4 liter models, but I have no idea what was going in back then. Inline 6 like somebody mentioned maybe?

BlakeSullivan
07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
I was a little unclear--assumed it wasn't a long-haul tow rig, was just curious what specs were really like.

It's a gorgeous machine. As much as I love sports-car convertibles, sometimes I think Jeep is the way to go. You can only get so much time on good, winding roads, with little traffic. The way most of us get to drive, sitting up in an open jeep, plus the off-road ability, is pretty practical as impractical things go.

What's the power plant? I'm used to the more recent 4 liter models, but I have no idea what was going in back then. Inline 6 like somebody mentioned maybe?
Sorry for not answering the question, I use my 2500 duramax to pull the boat I was just taking the boat back to storage which is just around the corner so I used the jeep, The power plant is a 258 inline six but this winter Im going to put a 350 Vortec with a turbo 350 transmission , should be a fun winter project.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Sorry for not answering the question, I use my 2500 duramax to pull the boat I was just taking the boat back to storage which is just around the corner so I used the jeep, The power plant is a 258 inline six but this winter Im going to put a 350 Vortec with a turbo 350 transmission , should be a fun winter project.

Nice Jeep! Have you debated putting in a 700R4 overdrive tranny instead for highway use? They are a little longer, but the small modifications are well worth the improved gear ratios (higher first and second gears) and especially the highway RPM difference. Just wanted to mention it since I installed one in my 1980 Vette - night and day difference - :yes:. Bill

Donziweasel
07-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Got mine in June with a bad 304. Been building a nice 360 for it. Should have the 360 in next week. 1976 CJ-5

Uncle Fester
07-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Nice Jeep. I have a '76 CJ5 with 258 3 speed. In a roundabout sort of way I'm the original owner (I was born in '71.... go figure). The ranch I grew up on bought it new, I was driving it by the time I was 10 and about 15 years ago I had the title put in my name. It's all original with no rust. I have really been wanting to do a full body off rebuild on it with a V8, auto, lift kit, etc..... but I get so many compliments on it for being original I don't know :nilly:

Phil S
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=lgwF8mdQwlw&feature=player_embedded

:wink: