PDA

View Full Version : wow this thing is FAST!

zelatore
07-21-2011, 01:57 AM
My old iPhone took a crap this week so I was forced to finally get a new phone. Decided to go big on speed since I'll be stuck in the new contract for two years and got an HTC thunderbolt on Verizon.

WOW is this thing fast!

I had given up reading the board on the iPhone but this sucker might even be faster than my laptop.

it has its own set of problems but compared to the old iphone It's like I bolted on a procharger!

Fishermanjm
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Don,,, your a trader,,, should have stuck with the iPhone 4, just kiddin, i have heard good things from people who had iPhones and have gone to the HTC phone

handfulz28
07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Is it the phone, or is it the Verizon service? I would expect your neck of the woods to be the leading edge when it comes to tech performance?

I'm still stuck on 3G with Tmobile until November. Wondering how the AT&T merger is going to go.

Fishermanjm
07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
the AT&T an Tmobile merger?

Marlin275
07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
My old iPhone . . .

they get faster every year . . .

Apple Inc. (AAPL) plans to introduce a new iPhone in September that boasts a stronger chip for processing data and
a more advanced camera, according to two people familiar with the product.
The device will include the A5 processor, the more powerful chip that Apple added to the iPad 2 earlier this year,
along with an 8-megapixel camera, up from the 5-megapixel model in the iPhone 4, said the people,
who asked not to be identified because the details aren’t public.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-said-to-prepare-faster-iphone-for-september.html

silverghost
07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
You should have waited for the new unit that is comming out in a week , or two.
It's twice as fast & half the price.

That's the way it always is with electronics these days.

jstrahn
07-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I've had an Android based phone for a couple years and am a big fan. There are already more apps for Android phones than for iphones and will be a lot more in the years to come.

Apple makes it so hard for developers to get their applications through the approval process that many don't even go there and it's unfortunate.

I'm just glad there is competition because the consumer wins in that situation.

Buddyc
07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I just got the HTC Inspire. Huge screen 4G and its amazing. Better than any I phone ever saw and it was only$49

Marlin275
07-21-2011, 03:58 PM
There are already more apps for Android phones than for iphones . . .

NOT TRUE . . .

As of July, 2011, there are at least 500,000+ third-party apps officially available on the App Store.
Downloads to date 153 billion+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS))

On May 10, 2011, during the Google I/O, Google announced that the Android market reached the 200,000 app milestone.
Downloads to date 3 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market

zelatore
07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
In this case the speed is a chipset thing. My iphone was an older 3G, not the 3Gs or 4G, but we do have an iPad as well which has an up to date Apple chipset. Running them side by side over my home wifi so they have the same connection speed and the HTC blows both Apple products in the weeds.

I'm not a big Apple fan because they are so proprietary. Want to charge your phone? Well, we could let you use a generic micro usb cable, but we'd rather make you buy our special Apple cable for twice the money. Want to sync to Outlook? Sorry, that's a microsoft product and we don't really want to support it (never mind that it's the worlds most common office software).

In their defense I will say this- The phone was well made. It felt good in your hand and took a heck of a beating over the last couple years and even now it's still working other than the speaker. I've dropped it multiple times and it got tossed out of my riding jacket when I high-sided the bike last year, but other than a single crack across the screen it's kept plugging along.

It's also much easier to learn/use than the Android phone. 20 years ago I'd have craved the versatility of the Android platform - you can do a lot with it that Apple just doesn't allow. But to be honest these days I really don't care that much. I actually prefer simple over max features.

But I wanted a bigger screen and max speed, and I wanted to get away from AT&T since they have bad coverage at both my house and my office. I'm still learning things on the Android platform, and I know it's not as robust as the iOS since they give developers more leeway, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Did I mention it's FAST? :)

zelatore
07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
NOT TRUE . . .

As of July, 2011, there are at least 500,000+ third-party apps officially available on the App Store.

On May 10, 2011, during the Google I/O, Google announced that the Android market reached the 200,000 app milestone.

This jives with what I've heard/seen. The Apple app market is much larger because they had such a big head-start. But Android market share is growing rapidly and with increased hardware the developers are writing more apps for Android than in the past. As the apps list grows, more people will be inclined to buy the hardware, which will push more app development....

Apple isn't exactly quaking in their boots (they just posted record profits last quarter - WAY over expectations) but when they are limited to two devices (iphone and ipad) vs the dozen(s) of Android devices on multiple carriers, you have to think it's only a matter of time before Android takes over. Apple is good, but fighting against Google is a tough ask.

zelatore
07-21-2011, 06:19 PM
the AT&T an Tmobile merger?

Yup.

I think AT&T is trying to gain bandwidth/coverage. At least here in the bay area they are something of a standing joke.

'Hey, did you get my message?'
'Uh, I have AT&T...'
'Oh, sorry'

They've even been running a series of radio spots basically saying 'we know it's bad, but we're working on it'.

I have to think they are better in other parts of the country, because if they were this bad everywhere they'd be going under! I think the iPhone is the one thing that's kept them afloat out here for the last few years.

jstrahn
07-21-2011, 06:21 PM
NOT TRUE . . .

Sorry, you are correct.

The Android OS has more FREE apps than iOS. I guess that is what matters to me since I rarely buy an app. I've purchased two to date.

RedDog
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I use an Android and love it - HTV Evo 4G.

Posted with my Android Asus Transformer tablet - Android Honeycomb 3.1 OS (aka the iPad killer)