PDA

View Full Version : 80's dash gage replacement Q

on_plane
07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi, I have a dash as in the picture below on a 1985 22, has Det-Mar gauges in it. I want to repeace the gauges as a set as the tach is shot .

The gauges have a square plastic bezel which looks like it might separate from the main plate with 4 screws on each bezel. But the 'screws' are soft plastic and the dont protrude from the back at all so I am wondering if they are even screws at all and need to be removed somehow to get the gauges out.

... Or if the bezels snap on etc...

I dont see how I can change the gauges after removing the back clips for the gauges only ,and not the fornt plastic bezels, but they are fragile and I was hoping to find out before I break one!

Paul

gcarter
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
There're a number of things about the dashes from the '80's that just aren't safe, particularly the circuit breakers.
I don't think that style og gauge has been made in years.
I wish you well, but you might think about updating the gauges and all the electrical wiring.

VetteLT193
07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
picture looks like it was taken in 1985. holy crap that is clean, original, awesome.

on_plane
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi George, I like the look and originality of the dash so I dont want to change that,just the guages themselves and of course a thourogh review of all wiring in the process. This boat is a time capsule so I want to only make minimal changes.

The gauges are regular round gauges ( as seen from the back) and the black square parts on front are just decorative , they look like they come off but I have no idea how to do that without breaking them.

Paul

silverghost
07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Those faux bezels are supposed to make the gauges look like aircraft gauges.

Shoreway Marine Supply in NJ used to sell this gauge brand.
They still operate a mail-order only business & perhapps the have some New Old Stock gauges still sitting around for you ?
Worth a phone call or email.

on_plane
07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks Brad a little quick internet search and it looks like teleflex still makes the square bezels:), not so worried baout breaking them now!

Thanks for the lead

Paul

MOP
07-21-2011, 02:24 AM
I have the same dash you remove the the "hold in" bracket from the back of the gauge then pull it out the front the square bezel will slip off the gauge. Our 22's do not have breakers just good old reliable fuses. Have tried to see why the tach is not working? May be a simple fix you never know.

Phil

mike o
07-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks Brad a little quick internet search and it looks like teleflex still makes the square bezels:), not so worried baout breaking them now!

Thanks for the lead

PaulHi, FYI, just a thought, you can also send just the Tach to teleflex for repair....:cool:

on_plane
07-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks MOP , that is what I needed to know, excellent!

The tach started going around only clockwise, around and around, then it finally stopped where it is now and doesnt move at all. Does that sound like the sender or the gauge having a problem? I 'think' it is the gauge beause there is evidence of condensation in the face andI think its internals are wet.

Mike, do you know if Teleflex make 'Det-Mar' or is that a different company? Repairing it is definately on option if I can find someone to do it, trying to keep the boat as original as possible and all the other gauges work fine.

Paul

mike o
07-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Paul, Im not sure if they (teleflex) did or did not make your gauge. But your's look teleflex,, and you mentioned teleflex in the above post. I have send a teleflex tach gauge back to them from a 1979 correct craft ski boat I owned yr's back. I couldnt find an exact replacement for it. So I sent it to teleflex and the fixed it for me.