PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel (really just bored)

Jraysray
07-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Got some water in the belly of the beast... Had to get her stomach pumped just to be sure.

JimG turned me on to e-zorb. Uses it every time he fuels up. 1oz to 20 gal.

What do you all use if anything?

pipnit
07-19-2011, 03:08 PM
How did the water get there? Was it a lot?

I had a problem a couple years back, went out for a ride, and the boat died. Started screwing around in the engine compartment only to find h2O in my gas, lots of it! So I wound up getting a tow and then pulled off the water. I had like 7 gallons of water sitting on the bottom of the gas tank. WTF? I went to the dock where they printed out an analysis, so it wasn't them. I scratched my head some more and by the time I had my 3rd beer, I figured it out. I had done a 360 TIGHT turn to get the port side handrail in the water. Looking at the port side of the boat, on the free board, there is the small, chrome air breather for the gas tank. Ahhh ha! No more port side grab rails in the water, lol.

Jraysray
07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Makes sense though. What you see is out of the separator. Waiting to talk to the guy that evacuated my tank.

I have been known to put some water in the boat so vent wouldnt be a long shot.

I would guess it's the ethanol in the gas thats the culprit.

pipnit
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Makes sense though. What you see is out of the separator. Waiting to talk to the guy that evacuated my tank.

I have been known to put some water in the boat so vent wouldnt be a long shot.

I would guess it's the ethanol in the gas thats the culprit.

After looking at your picture, I think you might be right with the ethanol theory... Water in gas doesn't look like that, it looks like, well, water, crystal clear.

Jraysray
07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Its tupperware and it was still seperating when I took pic. So it was a bit cloudy.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't like the color of the good stuff either

somethin's wrong there

Jraysray
07-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't like the color of the good stuff either

somethin's wrong there

When I dumped it in there it was clear then got cloudy then cleared up after seperating. Not normal? Never really messed with it before.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
AquaSocks - One Shot Drop - Ultimate Fuel Tank Water Remover (http://www.aquasocks.net/)

dsparis
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Should be a loop in the vent hose. Works like a "p" trap to catch water coming in the vent. You'll know water is in there when you fill the tank and it kicks back out because the trap is full of water and not venting.

MOP
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Another +1 for Ezorb an amazing product I will never be without, the ethanol draws outside moisture into the tank you must use something. The last two tanks of last season I did not use Ezorb, I paid the price losing 1/2 an afternoons running. I saw the demo on it years ago, they dumped what looked to be about a 10 to 1 mix of clean gas/water then agitated started up the engine and ran every drop through without a hiccup! Been a 100% believer since!

silverghost
07-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I like the Racor fuel filter/water seperators with the plastc bowls & drains .
They will handle most small amounts of water fairly easily.
I find they work very well .

BUIZILLA
07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I like the Racor fuel filter/water seperators with the plastc bowls & drains .
They will handle most small amounts of water fairly easily.
I find they work very well . you cannot use a plastic bowl fuel filter in the engine room of a gas engine..... diesel application is okay, gas is a no-no

silverghost
07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Jim~
The unit I have on the ski-boat is the cheap spin-on Racor unit with the plastic polycarbonate bowl & drain.
It takes the place of the standard cheap spin-on fuel filters.
They also offer this same spin-on unit with a pot-metal bowl~
But I like to inspect the plastic bowl for water every once in a while.
It is a gasoline unit & not diesel .

BUIZILLA
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Jim~
The unit I have on the ski-boat is the cheap spin-on Racor unit with the plastic polycarbonate bowl & drain.
It takes the place of the standard cheap spin-on fuel filters.
They also offer this same spin-on unit with a pot-metal bowl~
But I like to inspect the plastic bowl for water every once in a while.
Brad, you will fail any surveyors, USCG, and insurance inspections doing that...

I am 99% certain there is a written USCG regulation concerning that issue

just sayin'

silverghost
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Brad, you will fail any surveyors, USCG, and insurance inspections doing that...

I am 99% certain there is a written USCG regulation concerning that issue

just sayin'

Jim~ You are most likely correct.
I just checked the West catalog and the Filter/seperator I have with the plastic bowl is called an "Outboard" unit.
The very same filter cartridge with the pot-metal bottom bowl is called an "Inboard" unit .
I fail to see what it matters ?
I still like to see exactly what is in the bottom of the clear bowl.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Jim~ You are most likely correct.
I just checked the West catalog and the Filter/seperator I have with the plastic bowl is called an "Outboard" unit.
The very same filter cartridge with the pot-metal bottom bowl is called an "Inboard" unit .
I fail to see what it matters ?
I still like to see exactly what is in the bottom of the clear bowl.the rationale is that a plastic bowl can easily break (and it can, trust me) and allow gas into the engine compartment, or to be sprayed in the closed environment, causing a fire or explosion....

silverghost
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I guess I like to live dangerously.
My unit is mounted under my motorbox on my port stringer.

The outboard unit with the plastic bowl outside next to an outboard would be more exposed to impact damage in my opinion.

At any rate ~
It's an easy swap-out.
Just like changing your oil filter .

MOP
07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
You can replace the plastic with the metal, swap it next filter change.

zelatore
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I've always been frustrated by the fact that gas boats can't have the clear bowl - I like to be able to see any water/crude.

Not sure, but do the metal sheilds you can get that go around/under the clear bowls make them USCG legal? Seems I've heard that but I can't remember off the top of my head. Of course, they cover so much of the bowl it's almost pointless anyway. It seems like I've only seen them on the big 900 and up series filters though, not the smaller ones like you'd typically see on a stern drive set-up.

pipnit
07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Should be a loop in the vent hose. Works like a "p" trap to catch water coming in the vent. You'll know water is in there when you fill the tank and it kicks back out because the trap is full of water and not venting.

Mine has a loop in there, I was still able to suck in beaucoup H2O

pipnit
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I also have a clear bowl but it's made out of thick glass.

Fishermanjm
07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
where is this bowl u guys are talking about?

silverghost
07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
The plastic bowl on my Racor spin-on unit is screwed on the bottom of the can-style filter unit.
Since water is heavier than gasoline you can see any water in the bowl.
I would guess it holds between 1/3 & 1/2 cup of water.
It's very easy to drain off.
Works well for small amounts of water up to that capacity.

clayman
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Last summer I suddenly smelled fuel and to my surprise the standard all metal oil filter looking water separator had developed small pin holes from rust on the inside and it was spraying fuel all over, good times. I tried to replace it with the clear outboard one but the guy wouldn't sell it to me. I to always get tons, gallons on water in my fuel, and after a few dozen "Donzi Dounuts", carb starts coughing and dies. I drain the filter, always full of water, and pour some fuel in the carb, then run it. I have to drain my filter all the time. Every few hours. I never thought about the vent tube, but it is facing back, so it wouldn't really be injecting fuel in there, but maybe.

pipnit
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
I never thought about the vent tube, but it is facing back, so it wouldn't really be injecting fuel in there, but maybe.

Mine is facing back too but please trust me, it doesn't matter if that thing is buried underwater and you're scooting. I sucked up gallons and gallons of water doing it. Now I only make starboard "Donzi Donuts!" (nice term, lol)

pipnit
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I never thought about the vent tube, but it is facing back, so it wouldn't really be injecting fuel in there, but maybe.

Mine is facing back too but please trust me, it doesn't matter if that thing is buried underwater and you're scooting. I sucked up gallons and gallons of water doing it. Now I only make starboard "Donzi Donuts!" (nice term, lol)