PDA

View Full Version : Cable Ends for 33c for MORSE MV1 Shifter *HELP!*

pipnit
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys,

I really need some help here. I have a 76 2+3 that has a TRS and a SBC. I recently converted the electronic shift mechanism on the TRS to a mechanical one. In order to do this, I got rid of the merc, throttle control and went with a MORSE MV1 dual action control. The problem is, I have never seen these things actually connected and have NO clue what cable ends I need. I've called NUMEROUS resources and I've been more of a PITA to them than a viable customer. You know, looking for two three dollar pieces for a restoration project, people don't tend to jump through hoops for you and I haven't found anyone that knows the answer off the top of thier head. If anyone has a reference or even better yet, an image of what these ends look like, I'd owe you a beer or 50. Please help, this is the missing link to getting my baby in the water! :bonk:

Thanks!!!

pipnit
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
n'er mind, mystery solved...

found a manual online, part numbers, etc.

color this thread dead

Al Moran
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
:canada:
I am in desperate need of help in replacing a broken shifter cable on a 1966 Donzi with Morse control-may be a MV-1 but that I can not confirm
My problem is I can not finf an assembly diagram and have not been able to remove the unit from the boat_ how do I detach the interior bezel housing with the 3 screws from the interior backing unit?
Any advice appreciated

Al Moran:

mrfixxall
09-24-2011, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

at the bottom of the shift handle is a allen set screw,loosen it ans the handle slides off,,their will be 3 screws hloding the sfifter face to the shifting linkage on the back side of the hull..it may be through bolted and you may need another hand inside the hull holding the wrench onthe nuts,,its a pita to do when the hull is in one piece..

Al Moran
09-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks Mr Fixxall for your prompt response-yes I have got the handle off- and the three screws are removed with difficulty_they were through the bezel and the fibreglass and held with nuts -this allowed me to move the total mechanism into the boat by only 1/2 inch- it seems that the control must be split into two pieces to access the interior controls but I have not been able to split the unit-there seems to be a casting seem between the interior and exterior-can provide photos both interior and exterior_ I am able to take pictures of the interior but can not quite reach the mechanism

Al

mrfixxall
09-24-2011, 04:35 PM

i failed to mention,,if i remember correctly you will need to remove the 7/16'' or 1/4'' threaded bolts that hold the flat stock arms that the shift and throttle cables are attached to in order to be able to remove the whole mechanism inside the hull..

pipnit
09-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Next week, if you still need it, I'll dig up all the info I have on these. I found a source for everything and have exploded diagrams.

Al Moran
09-25-2011, 08:47 AM
:canada:Much appreciate any assistance you can provide- I am pleased withall of the assistance I have reveived to my plea for help
Al Moran

maddad
09-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Al, the cables and the back plate and control arms are connected by four machine screws(plate) and two bolts(arms). If you lie on your back and use the footrest as a lounge, you can reach around and remove them, drag the plate to the backby the cables and change the cables back there. Drag the plate back forward with the wire you remembered to attach and reinstall the plate and arms. You don't really need to take the outer part off.

pipnit
09-26-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.usna.edu/Sailing/newsite/Training/files/techManuals/throttle.pdf

And the "pivot" is part number A31029 as found here:
http://www.baumhydraulics.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

http://www.equipment.ath.cx/instrument_pdf/Morse%20MI_MIW.pdf

Al Moran
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
:canada: Many thanks for this manual on the Morse Model MI -this is exactly the unit that I am working on -I believe Morse is now owned by Teleflex but the technical people at Teleflex were not able to assist me.
Al Moran

Al Moran
09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for your great feedback- the photos provided are similar but I have received from Pipnit a link to a service document for Morse Marine Controls with great blow up of assembly and parts -yes -you are right -I can use the foot rest as a backrest and reach in to touch the control -but I see a challenge removing it and re-installing it with only one arm in there.

pipnit
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM

No problem!
I got interested in the Morse when I converted a Merc II from electronic to manual shifting. SPearson did me a solid and sold me one which I took apart, cleaned,lubed and painted.
When putting new lines together we were having problems sourcing parts so I googled and googled and found those manuals then googled part numbers.
I called Morse multiple times and spoke to two or three different people and only one guy was vaguely helpful because he had been in the industry for a long time.
There is ZERO support from any manufacturer, Morse, Teleflex or otherwise.

When you take it out, clean it all up and lube it, it's a real pain in the ear to put the larger detent ball bearing back in. I notched a butter knife to hold a BB and raise it up a tad then pry it under the cam. It worked like a charm!

SPearson has a nice collection of all things Morse in the classifieds here. Get 'em while you can!

Al Moran
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Many thanks for the interest and feedback on the repair of my shifter cable- after many many discussions -studying diagrams and photos -loss sleep about the thought of using a jig saw -the solution tonight was to remove the 7/16" bolt holding the shift lever- remove the cotter pin holding the shift cable to the shift lever -remove the cable to the engine compartment - the balance of the shifter and throttle mechanism held by the 4 slotted screws remains intact -I will sleep better tonight

Al Moran

pipnit
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
:rock: