PDA

View Full Version : No start

David Ochs
07-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Can't get the old girl started. Seems like I've checked everything for the loss of a spark. Have voltage to a brand new coil, have tried (2) brand new replacement electronic ignition modules. Finally checked the primary ignition cable from coil to distributor and there was no continuity, so I changed it and vroooom, it started and sounded very happy. This morning I went to start it and it's a no go.
My 1969 16' still has the original 302 but with a converted "early 70's" era Mopar (go figure) electronic ignition. Thing is, I've been running with this for 20 years and it has been very very reliable.
Only thing I can think to do at this point is to change the distributor with something like the Pertronix with internal electronics.
Can anyone think of something else I might try? And, has anyone had experience with the Pertronix.

Thanks a lot for your opinion,

Dave

mrfixxall
07-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Can't get the old girl started. Seems like I've checked everything for the loss of a spark. Have voltage to a brand new coil, have tried (2) brand new replacement electronic ignition modules. Finally checked the primary ignition cable from coil to distributor and there was no continuity, so I changed it and vroooom, it started and sounded very happy. This morning I went to start it and it's a no go.
My 1969 16' still has the original 302 but with a converted "early 70's" era Mopar (go figure) electronic ignition. Thing is, I've been running with this for 20 years and it has been very very reliable.
Only thing I can think to do at this point is to change the distributor with something like the Pertronix with internal electronics.
Can anyone think of something else I might try? And, has anyone had experience with the Pertronix.

Thanks a lot for your opinion,

Dave

first make sure the ignition switch is getting power in crank mode,if it is then try running a gtound wire to the base of the dist..

David Ochs
07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Yes, as stated above, voltage is good at the coil, thus at switch as well. The system does include a ballast resistor ahead of the coil. I have a jumper from the starter side of the relay to provide full voltage to coil while cranking.

Planetwarmer
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
check the kill switch. Sometimes the lanyard can compress over time and wont pull the plunger out far enough

zelatore
07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
You verified power to the coil and disty while searching for what turned out to be a bad coil wire. When you had the second problem, did you re-verify power to the ignition components?

Seems unlikely that it would be good yesterday and bad today, but it's quick and easy to check.

If you do have power there, then the kill switch isn't the issue. They are notorious for causing exactly what you are seeing though.

BTW, your sig pic - Tahoe?

mrfixxall
07-15-2011, 12:33 AM
You verified power to the coil and disty while searching for what turned out to be a bad coil wire. When you had the second problem, did you re-verify power to the ignition components?

Seems unlikely that it would be good yesterday and bad today, but it's quick and easy to check.

If you do have power there, then the kill switch isn't the issue. They are notorious for causing exactly what you are seeing though.

+1..could have shorted the coil and or over heated it and poofed the inside of it.

Schaf
07-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Move the shifter. Make sure its locked in

MOP
07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Check voltage drop at the coil as you crank, if you do not have a slave solenoid it is common for it to drop way down.

David Ochs
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Yes, Tahoe, good call!
All good comments, and thank you. I am certain that there is some degree of coincidence at play here. So, I have been careful to keep going after things again to hopefully dial in on something. A couple of mentioned items in abolve posts do not apply, the boat has no lanyard kill switch, nor does it have a neutral safety switch.
This morning I tried another new coil wire, and ran a direct line from battery to coil, both positive and negative.
I'll ask again, does anyone have experience with the Pertronix distributors? This is where I am headed now.

Thanks, Dave

HOWARD O
07-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes, Tahoe, good call!
All good comments, and thank you. I am certain that there is some degree of coincidence at play here. So, I have been careful to keep going after things again to hopefully dial in on something. A couple of mentioned items in abolve posts do not apply, the boat has no lanyard kill switch, nor does it have a neutral safety switch.
This morning I tried another new coil wire, and ran a direct line from battery to coil, both positive and negative.
I'll ask again, does anyone have experience with the Pertronix distributors? This is where I am headed now.
Thanks, Dave

It's a non-use situation. Sell the boat to your little brother, he'll use it and keep it running! :yes:

zelatore
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Haven't messed with Pertronix but generally hear favorable things about them.

While changing it all out will likely solve the probelm, hate to see you throw a big wad at it when you may only need something small. But if you've been thinking of doing the change anyway I suppose this is as good a time as any.

David Ochs
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Sure got that right hate to keep throwing $ at it, but the distributor is all that's left. My brother may be right. The boat hasn't been out on the water for almost two years, could be it's just plain pissed off at me.

David Ochs
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I bought a marine Pertronix distributor through Summit Racing (very nice company to deal with).
I've never removed the distributor on a small block Ford, so I had a look online for information. Apparently there are ugly stories of losing the oil pump shaft as it sometimes sticks with the distributor shaft as it is removed.
Probably not the end of the world with a car or truck, but dropping the oil pan on the boat isn't fun.
Anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions for this procedure?
Thanks a lot,
Dave

mattyboy
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
There should be a collar on the oil pump key that keeps it some what in place. You might need to fiddle with the dist to get the key in the dist. Mark where the rotor is pointing on the dist and the intake or block before removing you'll want to get it back right where it left. Also mark the number 1 cyl on the cap

dsparis
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Theres supposed to be a retaing washer on the shaft that keeps it in the pump. Even without it you shouldnt have problems unless the motor is sludged up.

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
#1 @TDC compression stroke. Make sure Rotor is pointing at # 1 on cap. Pull out old distributer replace with new. Note* it is critical that you don't put the distributer in !80 degrees off, as it will flame through the carb. Make sure the flame arrestor is inplace before you attempt a start.

mattyboy
05-18-2012, 10:18 PM
this will help and take note not all caps have number 1 marked on them the ford caps do the mallory replacement I got didn't.
kneeling on the back seat looking at the motor number 1 cyl is front left and the rotor should be pointing at about 1 o'clock
near the top of the compression stroke on 1 , the rotor spins counter clockwise

johnnywhale
05-19-2012, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

johnnywhale
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I bought a marine Pertronix distributor through Summit Racing (very nice company to deal with).
I've never removed the distributor on a small block Ford, so I had a look online for information. Apparently there are ugly stories of losing the oil pump shaft as it sometimes sticks with the distributor shaft as it is removed.
Probably not the end of the world with a car or truck, but dropping the oil pan on the boat isn't fun.
Anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions for this procedure?
Thanks a lot,
Dave

I did this once on a 460 powered ambulance, was able to fish the drive out with my trusty aluminum flexy magnet. A trick to keeping the shaft in the distributor is a little "dum-dum" sealer. If you try to use heavy grease it will hold until the shaft is over the hole in the manifold!
Patience helps
Johnny

David Ochs
05-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone, I will report back next week when I get the new distributor installed.

CHACHI
05-21-2012, 06:14 AM
David, isn't your brother a Ford guy?

I think he should get the boat, broken, and let him screw with it.

You will sleep better knowing he is the one trying to figure out what is wrong.

Ken

David Ochs
05-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Today, with the help of an experienced friend, I installed the new Pertronix distributor. My friend was very careful to identify the position of the rotor and body of the old distributor before removing it. The new one is now installed in the identical position.
Turned the key an it instantly fired up.
Today is a good day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsqwOxJTp5Q

pipnit
05-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Awesome news, man, I know the relief you're feeling right now. Have fun! :)