PDA

View Full Version : Chirping Noise Coming From Rear Of Engine

DonziStumped
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
First of all I love this forum and everyone on here has been extremely helpful. I got my buddy's Donzi ZX running after two years with everybody's help. The engine runs fairly good (7.4 MPI). I believe I have a lifter or two that needs adjusted. He installed some Crane 1.72 rollers. Anyways, On the maiden voyage we got across the lake tied up at party cove and got silly but on out way back to the dock we started getting a squeaking/chirping noise coming from where the engine mates up the the stern. It sounds like a belt squeal but it is NOT the serpentine belt. I found a grease zert back there and greased it but she stills squeaks. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or what the noise might be. I dont wanna pull the stern drive off but I will if I have to. I'm afraid we're tearing up a bearing or something. Any help or ideas would be awesome. Thanks guys. :bonk:

mrfixxall
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
First of all I love this forum and everyone on here has been extremely helpful. I got my buddy's Donzi ZX running after two years with everybody's help. The engine runs fairly good (7.4 MPI). I believe I have a lifter or two that needs adjusted. He installed some Crane 1.72 rollers. Anyways, On the maiden voyage we got across the lake tied up at party cove and got silly but on out way back to the dock we started getting a squeaking/chirping noise coming from where the engine mates up the the stern. It sounds like a belt squeal but it is NOT the serpentine belt. I found a grease zert back there and greased it but she stills squeaks. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them or what the noise might be. I dont wanna pull the stern drive off but I will if I have to. I'm afraid we're tearing up a bearing or something. Any help or ideas would be awesome. Thanks guys. :bonk:

greece the zurt on the outside also,starboard side low close to the fiberglass..if that dont do it then you will have to pull the drive and check the ujoints for greece too..

joseph m. hahnl
07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
A bad gimbal bearing can intermittently squawk and squeal. Check from inside the bilge, to see if water is leaking through the transom plate. A tell tail sign is when the bilge pump spits a little bit of water or turns on frequently.It kind of depends on what kind of pump you have.

My Rule automatic, which turns on every 2 min to check for water.would piddle water for 5 seconds and shut off. But it would piddle the water every time it turned on. Then I noticed an ever slight trickle coming in through a bolt hole in the transom plate. A major rupture in the U joint bellows can sink a boat pretty quick.

MOP
07-12-2011, 08:04 PM
If it shuts up with a shot of grease change it, it will only be quiet for a short time before it seizes and ruins the gimble.

DonziStumped
07-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Cool I'll check for the other zerk on the outside and give her a squirt 'o' grease. The owner had mentioned he thought it could possibly be the gimble bearing. I've never done one but it looks like I might doing one soon. That's awesome. I'm normally an auto mechanic not a boat mechanic and I have about five min worth of experience with tearing apart a stern drive. If its mechanical I can probably figure it out. Once again you guys are great and I really appreciate the suggestions to help me along with this boat. After a while I should know this thing inside and out. Lol. I will post an update soon regarding the boat. Thanks again guys and happy boating to all.

gcarter
07-13-2011, 04:29 AM
A $25 manual can save you a lot of time.
I reccomend that everyone has one.

osur866
07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Party cove?? I see your from KS would that be the party cove @ LOTO?
If so and your down often we should hook-up.

Steve

DonziStumped
07-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Well actually I was talking with Jake (the owner) and he told me he has a service manual for the stern, so yeah things should be easier. All the videos I've watched of guys doing a gimbal bearing looked kinda involved. Nothing I don't think I can handle just looks like a lot of bs to deal with.
As far as party cove in the Ozarks this year not sure. The boat has been there but it was a few years ago. I wasn't there but the pictures sure made it look like fun. lol. No we have a smaller version at Perry lake just outside Topeka. If I can hammer out the quarks perhaps we can make the 3 hr journey down to the real party cove.