PDA

View Full Version : K-planes & my 22C

JustMercMe
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Got a shot at getting some k-planes for a good deal....What all is involved in changing from the stock bennet tabs I have to these? Is it worth the hassle? Do i have to replace the pump also?

Thanks guys.

roadtrip se
07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Got a shot at getting some k-planes for a good deal....What all is involved in changing from the stock bennet tabs I have to these? Is it worth the hassle? Do i have to replace the pump also?

Thanks guys.

I have looked at this, too, but I don't utilize the Bennetts much if at all, so it hasn't been a priority.

Is it worth it? Yes, if you use the Bennetts all the time, as they don't react quick enough for a performance boat in my opinion, so the additional speed to allow you to react more quickly to changing conditions is worth something.

They do require a new pump. It is identical to the Merc trim pump for your drive.

The biggest issue for me is the transom work necessary. To do it right, you are going to have to re-gel or re-paint the transom, because the Bennett rams mount higher than the plates for the K-planes. Trying to patch repair this doesn't really work, as it will stick out.

Finally, avoid buying 280s if you can. These boats simply don't need that much tab, a set of 150s will do very well. The longer jobs can introduce a whole new set of handling opportunties of their own.

smokediver
07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
If they are 280's I have a set of the 150 plates that I am not using.They are interchangeable. You have to have a trim pump for each plane.

MOP
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
To me that is a lot of tab for a 2 the does well above average with no tab, I have tabs on mine for three things. Level the boat side to side adjusting for passengers when cruising. Keeping the boat on a dead straight course it tight quarters with out touching the wheel. Using them oft times use them to roll the hull a tad for better ride depending on the angle of chop/slop. Unless you are running real big power I think they are a waste, if you boat in salt they need constant attention.

JustMercMe
07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I have to use tabs the whole time unless I'm wide open. I've gotten pretty used to the operation of the bennets....Just heard the k-planes would make it ride like a larger boat in the rough stuff due to the length of them off the back. Just did'nt know if the benefit would outweigh the hassle of switching over. Did'nt really wanna have to do a bunch of patchwork and switching of pumps etc..... The planes are off of a 27 fountain. No idea what the number is on on em.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

RickSE
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
If they are 280's I have a set of the 150 plates that I am not using.They are interchangeable...

Smoke, as I found out you gotta be a little bit careful on interchangability, Merc changed the mounting style in 2004 so you can't interchange pre-2004 tabs with post-2004 tabs. All the plate and cylinder mounts are different.

JustMercMe,

I've had both, Bennets on an 18 and K-Planes on a 22. If you can get the set-up for a good price and are willing to do the cosmetic work then it's deffinetly worth it. If you do it I'd also add indicators. My only gripe is that the pre-2004 K-Planes are not bonded very good and the trim pumps leak at the cap; other then that I'm very happy with the units.

BlakeSullivan
07-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I have the K-planes with the 280 plates on my 22c and love them not only do they look and work great but they also act as a step to get back in the boat

smokediver
07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Good to know! I must have lucked out as I changed over to 280s on my boat.

smokediver
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Good to know! I must have lucked out as I changed over to 280s on my boat.

yeller
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
To me that is a lot of tab for a 2 the does well above average with no tab..... Unless you are running real big power I think they are a waste, if you boat in salt they need constant attention.MOP, the new boats handle differently than the old ones. Tabs are a necessity on the newer ones.

GBond
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Installed 280's last year..What a big difference it made on my finicky 22c.

Blake, What are the two oval fixtures on the lower transom? I have an ideal/guess.

Thanks

MOP
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
MOP, the new boats handle differently than the old ones. Tabs are a necessity on the newer ones.

I know that from running with a few, they porpoise a lot more than the older models. Yes they do need tabs for just about everything, I wonder if their top end suffers or can you get the K's clear of the water flow @WOT?

mrfixxall
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I have the K-planes with the 280 plates on my 22c and love them not only do they look and work great but they also act as a step to get back in the boat

Blake ? did you reinforce the inner transom before you installed them..

BlakeSullivan
07-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Blake ? did you reinforce the inner transom before you installed them..
They were installed from the factory my 22c is a factory black hawk with no black hawk, I removed it, and the small ovals on the transom are underwater LED's

thriller
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Just replaced my 150's with 280's..It made a Huge difference in my launch sequence to Outer Space... when I get into Big Water

RickSE
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
...I wonder if their top end suffers or can you get the K's clear of the water flow @WOT?

The K-Planes pull up a lot higher then Bennets. Mine are mounted about 1/2" above the transom edge and pull up to a higher angle then the running surface. They seem to pull off the water just past the neutral mark on my indicators which is around 5.

Guess I'm not the only one changing to 280's. Glad to hear everyone is having success with them. I'm hoping the 280's will actually allow me to use less tab since the contact point will be further back.

RockyS18
07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
JustMerceMe, if you do install them please let me know what you think of them after switching to them from the Bennett tabs. I was interested in putting on K-planes and want to hear from someone who can really feel the difference. Thanks and good luck with your boat.

edit: and RickSE, what indicators are you using and what do you think of them? I am definitely getting indicators but there are a few to choose from.

RickSE
07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Rocky18,

I believe the mechanical indicators I put in were from Livorsi. Mounting was tough but I found a good spot to the right of my steering wheel that is easially visable and the cables are pretty well hidden. Here's a link to some older pics of my indicators and mount. A 009 might be challenging. Most of the 22's that I've seen with indicators have them on the gunnel near the shifter, but it's hard to view the indicators in that position.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46019&highlight=dash

GBond
07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
The inner transom will definitely need reinforcing whether your installing K-planes or hydraulic steering. This is on most, if not all year models.
Also, the motor will have to be pulled (To do it right),fill all existing holes,
and have the entire transom prepped/repainted.
There's alot more rigging envolved than one would think.
At present I'm running without indicators... by the seat of my pants so to speak, which works fine for now. Once the "Mad Money" account builds
back up BlueWater indicators will be ordered. :biggrin:

gcarter
07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I have these Gaffrig/Livorsi indicators I bought for the TR, but I was able to resurrect the original controls for the Hynautic Power Planes.
These are complete w/all parts and instructions. All it really needs is to repaint the indicator front panel. The indicator parts unscrew from the backside of the panel to make re-painting really easy.
Currently these retail for $229.00, so I was thinking $100.00 plus shipping would be fair........if you're interested that is. :smash:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65496&stc=1&d=1310844167

RickSE
07-16-2011, 03:29 PM
The inner transom will definitely need reinforcing whether your installing K-planes or hydraulic steering. This is on most, if not all year model years...

All of the newer 22C's have fully cored transoms. I don't recal exactly what year they started but my 2002 has a full core transom.

GBond
07-16-2011, 07:21 PM
George, I'm leaning toward both tabs and drive in one unit. Will be overhauling the dash this winter. Thanks for making it available to the board.

Rick, Thank you for the clarification. Just based on different 22c witnessed over the years. It appeared some have had very little to no coring from the stern drive outboard, and maybe 4-6 inches up from the bottom and others seemed to be joggled as you go outboard. Regardless of a fully cored transom...It's just my thoughts if your running big HP numbers (525 +) the transom and stringers need serious consideration for upgrades as well... Over and above how they left Donzi. Just my opinion is all. :D

catch 22
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
If anyone knows of anyone selling a pair of 150's (K planes) p/m me, I just need the plates, pre 2004 I think!!!. Is there any way to tell if they are pre or post 2004? Jim.

BlakeSullivan
07-20-2011, 11:07 AM
I installed the Dana head up indicators in the corner of my dash they look great and work just as well

yeller
07-20-2011, 11:29 AM
George, I'll take the indicaters.

RickSE
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Blake, that's awesome.

RickSE
07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
If anyone knows of anyone selling a pair of 150's (K planes) p/m me, I just need the plates, pre 2004 I think!!!. Is there any way to tell if they are pre or post 2004? Jim.

Catch,

Here's a post I put up a while ago when I discovered there was a change. It includes the Merc. bulletin on the change. Also, after I get my 280's installed I'll have my pre-2004 150 trim plates as well as the cylinders if you're interested. I just haven't bought new cylinders yet to mount my 280 trim plates.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63556&page=3&highlight=planes

catch 22
07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Rick, Here's a pic of my K planes, pre 2004? From the bulletin from merc I think so. what do you think? Let me know on yours, I'm trying to do this before the Hometown rally in October. Thanks for the help, Jim

undertaker
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Catch a Mirage Plus?????:boggled::boggled::smash::eek::pimp:

BlakeSullivan
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Blake, that's awesome. thanks the hardest part about installing them was removing the windshield so I could roto-zip the whole

RickSE
07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Rick, Here's a pic of my K planes, pre 2004? From the bulletin from merc I think so. what do you think? Let me know on yours, I'm trying to do this before the Hometown rally in October. Thanks for the help, Jim

Catch, yes those are pre-2004, they have the long cylinder mount with the single bushing at the tab. Why do you want to switch from 280's to 150's? I guess my only concern is if I don't like the 280's I'd want to go back to the 150's. Maybe I should just come to the Rally so we can switch.:yes:

BlakeSullivan
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Catch, yes those are pre-2004, they have the long cylinder mount with the single bushing at the tab. Why do you want to switch from 280's to 150's? I guess my only concern is if I don't like the 280's I'd want to go back to the 150's. Maybe I should just come to the Rally so we can switch.:yes:
I switched from the 150's to the 280's they made the boat handle much better in rough water, ie the boat would straighten its self out during re-entery much better than it did with the 150's

RockyS18
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I installed the Dana head up indicators in the corner of my dash they look great and work just as well

Where did you find those indicators? I've been looking for them but I only found one site that doesn't even show a picture of them...

BlakeSullivan
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I bought them from Cp Performace http://www.cpperformance.com/c-856-stainless-marine-mech-trim-indicators.aspx

GBond
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I bought them from Cp Performace http://www.cpperformance.com/c-856-stainless-marine-mech-trim-indicators.aspx

Bkake nice install. I may be going the same route, due to lack of dash space. What lenghth did the cables end up being?

Thanks

catch 22
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Catch a Mirage Plus?????:boggled::boggled::smash::eek::pimp:
Photo was taken prior to Pro Charger install. I still run a Hydro QIV lab 31. :)

GBond
07-22-2011, 01:41 AM

280's....Upgrades have been work in progress for 16 yrs. :biggrin.:

BlakeSullivan
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
In a completely non sexual way thats a good looking back end , as for the cable length I believe it was 15' but I will double check this evening and let you know. :convertib:

RickSE
07-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Gbond, looks good, some nice stuff on the back of your boat. You have the newer style K-Planes.

FYI, you might want to move your boat up/forward on your Myco. I had mine sitting where your's appears to be and had to go by Myco for some info. They looked at my set-up and stated that the trailers are designed so the transom of the boat sits directly over the rear vertical bunk supports. My bow support kept sliding back allowing the boat to drift back so I fixed that and moved mine up on the trailer. Just something to consider.

GBond
07-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks Guy's...

Rick, Hate to even mention how long that's been on the "To Do" list.
Wench post needs to come forward approx 8".
Have you had any issues with the wench and tongue jack being so
close...as in safety, keeping your arm/hand in one piece? :biggrin.:

Thanks for reminder.

RickSE
07-22-2011, 05:37 PM
...Have you had any issues with the wench and tongue jack being so
close...as in safety, keeping your arm/hand in one piece? :biggrin.:

Thanks for reminder.

Yes, if my jack handle is pointing up then it gets pretty close on the wench handle. I had to redo my entire bow support a while back which may have made it even worse. I didn't like how high Myco put the roller and winch on my trailer because my boat would always climb the roller while towing and lift off the front bunks. I ended up cutting my support down and nested the roller just above the bow D-ring. At the same time I welded a piece of round stock under the trailer just behind one of the bow support attachment bolts to stop it from moving back any further. Both of these fixes seemed to work and my boat doesn't move around anymore when I tow.

catch 22
07-22-2011, 06:34 PM
That would be cool ( but that's a long ride for you, still have the old chevy truck? ) but we could use another SWEET 22 there like yours :yes::yes:. Just wanted to switch to see if there is any difference.