PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Feeling.....what is it?

FISHIN SUCKS
07-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I don't recall noticing this before, but when leaving the hole and getting up on plane, once in a while I feel an intermittent slip. I dont feel it any other time during cruising speeds or slow idle. keep in mind I have twin 350 MAG's, what is this? I don't recall it doing this before...maybe it did....can't remember it though. As always, appreciate the input, thanx,

tom

roadtrip se
07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I would check from the outside of the boat on the trailer to make sure that both drives are cycling to the bottom of the trim range. Same thing goes for the tabs.

Second, I would check the hubs on your props. One may be starting to go,
although when they go, they usually flat out let loose.

Two places to look.

VetteLT193
07-11-2011, 08:51 AM
With the Mirage plus props mine will do it too. It's readily noticeable on the tach(s). I blow mine out completely pretty easily even with the 25's so keep that in mind.

Ghost
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
With the Mirage plus props mine will do it too. It's readily noticeable on the tach(s). I blow mine out completely pretty easily even with the 25's so keep that in mind.

This is interesting. Can you elaborate further? Specifically:

do you think the props are getting air instead of water, are they losiing bite in good water for some reason, or is it somewhere in the middle where they losing bite in a messy mix of water and air? Or is something else happening altogether?
which driver actions best mitigate the problem, and which ones exacerbate it?
Thanks,

Mike

glashole
07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
i see this happening to alot of inexperienced drivers

try adding some seat time and do a search here on the board on how to drive your particular boat as it is most probably driver error

:beer:

roadtrip se
07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Besides learning how to drive your boat...

When was the last time you had your props in for a tune-up? You could have a blade out of whack enough to cause this kind of thing, especially with a three blade. Been there, got the t-shirt....

VetteLT193
07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
The 23's are not big enough for my boat. The 25's are the 'right' size however the 25's are smaller in diameter than the 23's. This means mathematically we are net the same (Fishin has 1.5 / 23p Vs. Me 1.65 / 25p) but there is still a difference because of the diameter. I'd also like to get measurements from various 28's to see if the X is always the same or not... but that's for another day.

Another ZX owner with 6.2's / 1.65 drives contacted me because he read one of my threads here and his experience is the same as mine with the 3 blade.

I have had plenty of seat time and run through a few different prop sets. I don't have trouble getting the boat to plane with the 25 Mirage plus if the conditions are good If the conditions are not good, like I'm trying to get the boat to plane in sloppy 3 foot seas, it totally sucks.

As to how to mitigate the problem with blowing out on my boat... best way to plane is trim in, tabs down. throttle up to 3000-ish RPM. as the boat starts to come up, pull the tabs up and set the trim to neutral... once you are over the hump it's good. The tabs actually don't seem to help or hurt the blowing out or planing. they do help with visibility so I'll put them down if there are other boats around just as a safety thing. The only way to describe tabs up vs. down is it planes a bit differently

If there is a full load on the boat, it is rough, or a combo of the two it comes into a mainly a patience and timing game. If you can time the waves to the throttle you can get it over the hump. If they blow out it is generally unrecoverable so slow down and start over.

As far as getting the 25's tuned it is a total waste of time and money. With the Bravo 1's the boat planes with zero problem regardless of load (for example I had 5 large adults and 2 kids in the boat on Sunday plus a ton of gear). I can slow cruise far slower (advantageous when it is very rough with a full load or with friends that can't keep up). I can easily cruise at 50 MPH. This past weekend I was running mid 30's at 2800 RPM. With the M+ I'd barely be keeping the boat on plane at 2800 RPM. The cruise and low end of the M+ is basically non existent.

FISHIN SUCKS
07-12-2011, 06:43 AM
thanx for the responses, I'll check my props. Is it difficult to adjust the travel of an outdrive? My port drive travels farther up and down than the starboard.

I got a boating lesson coupon in my frootie pebbles that read 'Free Boating Lesson Tomorrow'..........I'll check into that:bonk::boggled::nilly:

Thanx,

tom

gcarter
07-12-2011, 06:51 AM
On the last Sarasota Home Coming I attended, I was following a 38 ZR which I think had 3 steps.
As he came up on plane, I was astounded at how much his wake was aerated!!!!! I lost my depthsounder and my prop slipped when I tried to accelerate hard. I was 35'-50' behind him.
I can easily imagine the problem you're experiencing.

VetteLT193
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
thanx for the responses, I'll check my props. Is it difficult to adjust the travel of an outdrive? My port drive travels farther up and down than the starboard.
I got a boating lesson coupon in my frootie pebbles that read 'Free Boating Lesson Tomorrow'..........I'll check into that:bonk::boggled::nilly:
Thanx,
tom

Fishin... look at the sides of the drive for black round pucks. One side is the trim stop, there will be (from memory here) two stainless set screws. loosen them just a bit and rotate the puck. Eyeball the two different drives to get them the same. Then get in the boat and trim all the way out and see if they stop the same, check, re adjust, re trim, etc.

It's kind of a PITA to get them the same with twins. a partner in the boat makes this work 100 times easier.

The Hedgehog
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I would recommend putting in some real engines like Z-man did!:bonk:

RedDog
07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I can redeem that boat driving coupon for ya...

PS - I get that slipping feeling too but never on my boat. That should qualify me for giving lessons

FISHIN SUCKS
07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanx Vette! when are you coming up to help with this project:)?

I'll get new motors when I'm makin bank like you and Andre, Bill:nilly:!

Free Boating lessons at Tim's place tomorrow........yea!!! I feel as lucky as though Johnny just called me down to be the next contestant on the Price is Right! I thought it would be a scam like that 'Free Beer Yesterday' thing.

The Hedgehog
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanx Vette! when are you coming up to help with this project:)?
I'll get new motors when I'm makin bank like you and Andre, Bill:nilly:!
Free Boating lessons at Tim's place tomorrow........yea!!! I feel as lucky as though Johnny just called me down to be the next contestant on the Price is Right! I thought it would be a scam like that 'Free Beer Yesterday' thing.

You want big power? You should really consider being a host as opposed to a contestant on a game show. I think that you would be a big hit. Then we could all come ride in your 43 ZR.

A game show with drinking contestants and a drinking host.....that might make me start watching TV again!:cool:

osur866
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Tom - You have this all wrong, the props are fine the drives are fine you have forgotten all the bling, stripper pole and the dancers on the bow, add some chickas on the bow and I'd bettcha that thing would plan off with no problem!! :hyper: :rlol:

FISHIN SUCKS
07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
TOOOOOOO FUUUUUNNNNNYYYY!!!! i'm likin the drinkin game show too......I think u got somethin there. Hook that up with all of yer connections. my connections arent so good, otherwise Homeless OlympX would be a household name:(

I would love to get more hoochie mommas on the bow.....for planing purposes of course:yes::yes:

Ghost
07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I would love to get more hoochie mommas on the bow.....for planing purposes of course:yes::yes:

They are called trim tabs after all...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff78.jpg

GBond
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for posting that 18c. One of my favorites. Always liked the looks of the black hull. The pop up cleats keep the lines flowing as well.

The Hedgehog
07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
They are called trim tabs after all...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff78.jpg

Yes! and you need two of them!

FISHIN SUCKS
07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Oh I am liking the bow ornaments.....errrr uh, trim tabs..... and the pop up cleats!!!! Very Nice pic Mike, thanx fer posting!!!