PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Drive Gear Selection Position

DTM
07-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I have removed the outdrive (Alpha 1) due to engine replacement. I am replacing water impeller and water pump housing. The arm to connect the gear cable has been moved and I am trying to ensure that I align the gear selector shaft with the correct postions.

I have looked at the sterndrive manuals and cannot fond any information on this subject. Is there any procedures or tricks to ensure proper reinstallation?

Thanks,

MOP
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Put the shifter in forward make sure it moved the cable, look under the forward section of the drive you need to make sure the shift shoe is facing fore and aft, more than likely you will need to rotate the prop to get ti drop into forward and the shoe facing the right way. When you slide the drive on the shifter will side into the U shaped receiver. You can get the drive started on then check to make sure it stayed lined up.

DonziJon
07-04-2011, 06:37 PM
What MOP says is true. I'll take it one step further...you have to be lying on your back on the floor under the front of the drive looking UP (With a FLASHLIGHT) to see the shift dog. ..a Stainles Steel (Female) (U shaped reciever) thing that looks like you should slide something in there. Take a long.. OVER large screw driver with you to convince the dog to line up strait. It will never be..BUT it will be close enough to engage ...that Bronze (Male) thingy on the drive....when you KICK the drive into place. :)

When you have less than 1/2 inch left between the flanges..you may be there. :yes: DJ