PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Donzi No Spark or Fuel 7.4MPI

DonziStumped
07-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone may be able to guide me along a little. I have a 2000 Donzi with a 7.4MPI in it and just got the motor put back in the boat after two years of sitting. Everything looks on the up and up except for the iginition module in the cap. Pretty rusty on the two prongs going to the wires. My question is would the module keep the fuel pump from kicking on at all? Also where might the fuel pump relay be located? Also how do you get to the fuel pump? I can only find the covers for the fuel gauge sending unit and another one the gives access to the vent/fill lines. I can get the exact boat model if need be, I'm not with the boat at the moment. Any wiring diagrams or service manuals or anything would help greatly. Thanks to all who read this and try to give me a hand. :nilly:

DonziJon
07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone may be able to guide me along a little. I have a 2000 Donzi with a 7.4MPI in it and just got the motor put back in the boat after two years of sitting. Everything looks on the up and up except for the iginition module in the cap. Pretty rusty on the two prongs going to the wires. My question is would the module keep the fuel pump from kicking on at all? Also where might the fuel pump relay be located? Also how do you get to the fuel pump? I can only find the covers for the fuel gauge sending unit and another one the gives access to the vent/fill lines. I can get the exact boat model if need be, I'm not with the boat at the moment. Any wiring diagrams or service manuals or anything would help greatly. Thanks to all who read this and try to give me a hand. :nilly:

Hey DS: Welcome aboard. Your experience here will be an adventure. Go to West Marine..or wherever..and get a Clymers Manual for your engine. :yes: DJ

MOP
07-04-2011, 07:42 AM
You need to blow this up a little but it should get you through. http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page264.html A little more that may help. http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page265.html http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page266.html

DonziStumped
07-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Thank you for the fast help guys. The wiring diagram should help greatly. Also I saw a manual that was a Solec manual? Any differences between it and the Clymers?

zelatore
07-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Thank you for the fast help guys. The wiring diagram should help greatly. Also I saw a manual that was a Solec manual? Any differences between it and the Clymers?

Seloc and Clymers...sort of like the differnce between Haynes and Chiltons on the car books. Basically the same info. I have some of each, but can't say I prefer one of the other. It's usually which ever is avaialble when I'm looking.

zelatore
07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Seloc and Clymers...sort of like the difference between Haynes and Chiltons on the car books. Basically the same info. I have some of each, but can't say I prefer one of the other. It's usually which ever is available when I'm looking.

mrfixxall
07-05-2011, 02:04 PM
on top of the engine theirs a black box..their should be some wing nuts on that box,loosen them and openit up and in their you will find some fuses and relays..check the fuses which controls the ecm and the fuel pump,if one is blown nothing on the engine will work..if they are good and have power going to them then it may be the fuel pump relay..

The Hedgehog
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Is the ignition getting any power? There is also a fuseable link by the starter. If that pops, you get no power at all.

DonziStumped
07-06-2011, 01:48 AM
You guys are great. I love the fast responses and feel bad that I haven't had a chance to crawl back in the boat yet to diagnose anything. I have been called to jury duty and it's kinda killing my schedule. After looking at the wiring diagram posted by MOP as I suspected one of the relays on top of the engine was in fact a fuel pump relay. I manually bypassed the one relay and heard the other relay click but did not hear the fuel pump whine. I just need to get down and dirty checking voltages at various locations but as I said jury duty is hindering that. I will report back as soon as I can with findings/results. Thanks again guys.

mrfixxall
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
You guys are great. I love the fast responses and feel bad that I haven't had a chance to crawl back in the boat yet to diagnose anything. I have been called to jury duty and it's kinda killing my schedule. After looking at the wiring diagram posted by MOP as I suspected one of the relays on top of the engine was in fact a fuel pump relay. I manually bypassed the one relay and heard the other relay click but did not hear the fuel pump whine. I just need to get down and dirty checking voltages at various locations but as I said jury duty is hindering that. I will report back as soon as I can with findings/results. Thanks again guys.

just be careful on what circuit you jump,,its vary easy to blow the ecm..

DonziStumped
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Well I just wanted to give everybody an update on the Donzi. After a lot of spitting and sputtering she finally came to life yesterday afternoon. For whatever reason when I had to hot wire the fuel pump to the battery to get it to spin for me. After that, the relay had no problem kicking it on with the key like its supposed to. My ignition module inside the cap (MSD aftermarket distrib/rotor/cap) had a good amount of rust on the terminals coming from the pick up coil. I cleaned them up with some sandpaper and reterminated the wire ends. Coated them with dielectric grease to try and keep it from happening again. Had to adjust the distrib but it eventually fired up. But alas one exhaust manifold has water leaking from the 90 degree elbow, two of the bolt holes need helicoiled. And somehow I managed to get the other exhaust manifold gasket put on backwards so theres an exhaust leak on the right side. :doh: Otherwise I think its ready for a test run my guess is we may have another issue with the outdrive but we shall she. Thanks everyone for your help.

mrfixxall
07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Well I just wanted to give everybody an update on the Donzi. After a lot of spitting and sputtering she finally came to life yesterday afternoon. For whatever reason when I had to hot wire the fuel pump to the battery to get it to spin for me. After that, the relay had no problem kicking it on with the key like its supposed to. My ignition module inside the cap (MSD aftermarket distrib/rotor/cap) had a good amount of rust on the terminals coming from the pick up coil. I cleaned them up with some sandpaper and reterminated the wire ends. Coated them with dielectric grease to try and keep it from happening again. Had to adjust the distrib but it eventually fired up. But alas one exhaust manifold has water leaking from the 90 degree elbow, two of the bolt holes need helicoiled. And somehow I managed to get the other exhaust manifold gasket put on backwards so theres an exhaust leak on the right side. :doh: Otherwise I think its ready for a test run my guess is we may have another issue with the outdrive but we shall she. Thanks everyone for your help.

remember what ever is leakinf on the outside of the riser is leaking inside the riser..you probably have water in the cylinders now..