PDA

View Full Version : chrome alternative??

mattyboy
07-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I am sitting having the morning cup o joe and watching my classic car. they are at jay leno's place looking at all his stuff. he shows them some parts that need chrome. he says that he doesn't use the old re chroming method as it is expensive and environmentally unfriendly especially in cal.

he holds up some parts done with this method. more like paint in prep and primer then the solution is poured over the part. he showed a jet plane from an older car made of pot metal and a window switch plate made of plastic as well as a gas tank from a 60's motorcycle they looked the liquid metal terminator. he said the tank might cost close to $1000 to have sent out and rechromed but this method cost like 25 bucks and can be flushed down the drain.

but they didn't mention a name or manufacturer even in the credits. does anyone know anything about this??
btw it is good to be the jay holy **** what a shop

RedDog
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Www.eastwood.com

Search their site for "liquid crome"

joseph m. hahnl
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I am sitting having the morning cup o joe and watching my classic car. they are at jay leno's place looking at all his stuff. he shows them some parts that need chrome. he says that he doesn't use the old re chroming method as it is expensive and environmentally unfriendly especially in cal.

he holds up some parts done with this method. more like paint in prep and primer then the solution is poured over the part. he showed a jet plane from an older car made of pot metal and a window switch plate made of plastic as well as a gas tank from a 60's motorcycle they looked the liquid metal terminator. he said the tank might cost close to $1000 to have sent out and rechromed but this method cost like 25 bucks and can be flushed down the drain.

but they didn't mention a name or manufacturer even in the credits. does anyone know anything about this??
btw it is good to be the jay holy **** what a shop

He plugged the website at the end of the video.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/sprayon_chrome/1232328

Here's the link. Apears it is a German product.

http://www.chromesolutions.de/

joseph m. hahnl
07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
MB, did you ever find out about this stuff?

mattyboy
07-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Joe,

no I had some other more urgent matters as far as the project was concerned. seems finding things like covico steering wheels and volvo 280 parts are taking up more and more of my time. restoring the chrome hardware will be left for another time.

Scott Pearson
07-17-2011, 08:28 AM
PPG makes Liquid Metal...nice stuff. Matty...dont you have a friend at PPG? Maybe he can help you out.:tongue:

hdsadey
07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
ALSA Paint. Check them out. Chrome FX. They have a spray on chrome, three part process. Think they have a dealer locator as the system is very expensive for the equipment.

mattyboy
07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
PPG makes Liquid Metal...nice stuff. Matty...dont you have a friend at PPG? Maybe he can help you out.:tongue: yes i do :)