PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Motors

Mondolioni
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I've been looking into putting a hemi into my 22' Blackhawk. I can get a crate motor out of the US for less then half of the cost of a Merc that's comparble hp wise. Now already did my home work on the most obvious challenges up front: first one being exhaust and water jacketing couple possibilities there all the way up to custom fabricated to modifying exisiting. Also cam shaft timing which the crate motor guy swears up and down he can modify for this application. My question is this: Have any of you guys heard of someone doing a Mopar Hemi up for marine application, and if so what and how? Also any pointer you can give me would be great! It's got a pretty sick motor in it already but I like a challenge and doing something diff and original. Oh and don't tell me "can't" be done! Anything can be done I do "can't" all thge time....

Cheers

Joe

Fishermanjm
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Joe, ur turning me on,,, i would love to see a mopar motor in a classic

Carl C
07-01-2011, 10:33 AM
It can't be done.......:shocking:

Without a lot of work and money and time and custom fabricated parts. Better go with the flow; BBC. I assume you're talking about the original 426 Hemi crate engine?

silverghost
07-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I have not heard of a new Chrysler Hemi being put in any boat in 40 years !

You would have to custom build & fab the marine exhaust system~

The Crate Hemi cams are not good for marine engine use & will cause exhaust cooling water to revert into your cylinder head's exhaust ports & trash the entire engine.
You will need a custom marine engine cam grind.

You also will need a very rare Chrysler I/O drive Mercruiser bellhousing & drive coupler as this engine needs it's own specific bolt-up pattern.

Also Chrysler front or side & rear motor mounts.

With a custom built marine exhaust & custom marine engine cam grind. & chrysler I/O bellhousing+drive coupler & motor mounts it could be done however.

I assume you are talking about a carburetor & not a modern Fuel Injection engine as the F/I units would have F/I computer issues in a boat also.

My uncle had a 426 Hemi in a late mahogany Century Coronado.
Dual Carter AFB quad carbs~
Straight inboard.
Very HEAVY engine with it's very big iron heads

What a hot set-up that was in it's day~
Few were ever marined & sold.

It was the fastest boat in Wildwood NJ in it's day when new !

HIGH LIFE
07-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Found a article in SpeedBoat Jan '08. VELOCITY VR1 powered by a 572 cu.in 700 H.P. motor built to Steve Stepp's specifications. Boat ran 100.2 MPH @ 5250 RPM. "HIGH LIFE

MOP
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
IMO it can be done! As far as an adapter a plate of 5/8" aluminum drilled for the existing bell housing the for the Chrysler pattern will work great, I had several made for putting various engines in rods over the years. Try to get the cam specs it may not be as horrible as some may think, there are a few very cam savvy gents on this board. The exhaust may be a challenge, you need to find out the port spacing, there may be a decent match using adapter plates it is done for Ford to Chevy on BB's. It all boils down to homework, jump over the rocks thrown in your path look at the guy in Germany that did an Audi/Donzi conversion. Anything within reason is possible, most of the guys up here never built a rod with miss matched drive train. Years back I built a 39 Chevy coupe with a late SB Chevy block, Cad/Lasalle side shifter running into a 4:10 Ford truck rear, all said and done I was tickling the 12's. Hard to BS me and a couple of others on what can and cannot be done, like I said find out all of your specs then let us old guys help a bit.

silverghost
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Phil~
Does Trans-Dapt still make any transmission to engine swap Adapter kits ?
Are they still in business ?
Mr. Gasket Co. I believe bought this outfit years ago ?
I have used their carb adapters & marine leveling wedges many years ago.

I believe the performance crate Hemi engines sold today have a fairly radical performance auto musclecar style cam profile with a lot of valve overlap ?

mrfixxall
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
When your ready for the exhaust get the flanges made up for the exhaust ports on the heads and send them to jen at lightening headers and I'm sure he would be willing to build you a set for your application.

As for the mount to a bravo drive you could mount the engine to the stringers using custom fabbed mounts for the front and rear of the engine..a custom shortened scatter shield would work to enclose the rear of the engine for safety purposes..

Buddyc
07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey MOP ,39 Chevy Coupe... now your talking. My dad had a 41 and i loved that car as a kid... don't make them like that any more

Carl C
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
This one's pretty sweet. http://www.amazon.com/426-HEMI%C2%AE-All-Aluminum-Crate-Motor/dp/B004TBNATO

Donzi_Dude
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
This one's pretty sweet. http://www.amazon.com/426-HEMI%C2%AE-All-Aluminum-Crate-Motor/dp/B004TBNATO

now dont get me wrong, im not knocking hemi's. you can make crazy power but for marine BBC...

for 13K plus all the goodies, 500 HP seems steep.

you can have a marine builder set you up @ what ever power level you wish and crate you a super rat!

and im a ford guy.

:lobster:

gcarter
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM

I like the 300# shipping weight!!!!!!!!!
That would impress, if only it were true. :wink:

JimG
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Call Steve Stepp. He's a super guy and a serious boat enthusiast. I'm sure he'd tell you the ins and outs....

Ray Barton built the motor...

RedDog
07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Tek Marine .au could build you a cool 1 piece SS exhaust system.

BUIZILLA
07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
i'm all ears :wrench:

Dr. David Fleming
07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
If there ever was an engine that deserved to be marine power it is the hemi. Hemi combustion chamber is a top end performer which means it is wasted on the street vehicle which spends most of its time in low rpm situations. Boat engines on the other hand are run flat out much of the time which is where the hemi combustion chamber is supreme. Hemi was an early airplane design which also used its full power capability. P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightening, B-17 bomber, B-29 all used it. Early marine engines like the Liberty V-12 easily adapted from air power to marine racing. Another likable characteristic of Hemi is that the torque peak of the engine and the power peak are very close in engine rpm. This means the efficiency of the engine (fuel consumption) is very close to power peak. On most engines the max fuel efficiecy is somewhere much lower that max power. In the Hemi this is not so. Fuel efficiency and torque peak match because this is where the most effective cylinder filling occurs. The cam is most fuel efficient at this engine speed.

Chrysler provided much of the marine power before MerCruiser changed the industry with stern drive. Merc and GM hooked up almost 100% although they did offer some Ford small block power.

Chrysler Marine division in 1970, I have the catalogue, offered 318 cu in, 340 cu in, 383 cu in, 440 cu in engines all were V-8 with iron blocks, heads, forged steel rods, crank, with mechincal cams, and duel point ignition in cast iron distributors. Compression on most was in the 9-1 range but they did offer the 440 six pack engine (tripple holley two barrel carbs) which was popular in cars. This engine had the 10-1 compression. All these engines were available with Chrysler inboard marine transmission and cast iron water cooled exhaust manifolds. They were available in right or left hand rotation. Right hand rotation I believe used timing chain cam drive and left had used gear drive so the same cam could be used. Chrysler also had right and left had rotation distributors for some applications. Most engines use the Carter AFB carburator which most of us are familiar today as Webber of Italy. Automotive intake manifolds were used.

All Chrysler marine engines and all Chrysler Hemi engines were built in Michigan at the marine engine plant in Marysville on the St. Clair River just north of Detroit. The quality control of their marine division was much higher than street vehicle engines.

If you are in a marine area where old parts are available such as the Detroit area much of this old equipment is around. Island Harbor Marina in SCS north of Detroit just pulled a couple of Chrysler big block 413 engines out of an old Chris Craft Cruiser - Calvin says he wants to put one of the marine engines in an old mopar auto so all the marine equipment is going in the pile. Tons of this stuff is in marinas in Michigan such as Harsens Island, Mt. Clemens etc.

Not sure about the hemi in boats from Chrysler - can't remember ever seeing the 1960 era 426 hemi in a boat but it may have been offered for a couple of years. I would assume the water cooled exhaust manifolds would be bolt on if you could find them. I do remember a Century mahogany speedboat owned by a doctor when I was a kid. Had the early 392 hemi. Engine was all industrial green with yellow lablels, Now that was a boat to be proud of - Impressive in its severe simplicity! Throttle linkage, fuel line, ground wire, two igniton wires, two exhaust hookups. Big Hemi power with a Carter WCFB carburator (Wil Carter Four Barrel) early carb was half cast iron. Wil was founder of Carter Co.

BUIZILLA
07-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Chrysler Marine division in 1970, I have the catalogue, offered 318 cu in, 340 cu in, 383 cu in, 440 cu in engines all were V-8 with iron blocks, heads, forged steel rods, crank, with mechincal cams, and duel point ignition in cast iron distributors. Doc, can you scan the page that states they were ALL mechanical cams? thats new news... my dad was a Chrysler Marine Engine Distributor back then, and I worked for him at the time selling new engines and repairing them... my Cary 28 had 440 Chryslers and they were hyd cams..

mrfixxall
07-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I like the 300# shipping weight!!!!!!!!!
That would impress, if only it were true. :wink:

yes that would be nice if it were the 426 or 5?? hemi..

if he is refering to the newer 5.7 hemi then contact ilmore,,i herd they were going to use tthat motor the v8 version..

gcarter
07-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Hemi was an early airplane design which also used its full power capability. P-51 Mustang, P-38 Lightening, B-17 bomber, B-29 all used it.

Doc, only the Allison powered P-51's had hemi shaped combustion chambers. If they were Rolls powered, they had, what were called, "ramp heads". If I had a working scanner, I'd post a cross section.
Imagine the two intake valve axis in parallel w/the cylinder bore.
The exhaust valves, OTOH, were canted over at about 45*. The Brits had been trying to build heads like this for about 5 years, but couldn't w/o the head cracking in the area between the inlet and exhaust valves. It was Packard that effectively developed the ramp head, and almost every Roller built by Packhard had them.
But it wasn't even a little bit similar to a hemi.

BTW, the Allison engines combustion chambers were penthouse and not hemispherical. I misstated above.

Dr. David Fleming
07-02-2011, 10:23 PM
In the 1950s horsepower design race it came down to the all out power of the hemi which also had serious drawbacks. First of which was the above mentioned maximum power design paramater. Most auto engines operated well below maximum power and this gave the need of the torque peak at a less than full speed point. Wedge designs also had something the hemi lacked and that was built in octane. Wedge chambers mechanically resist detonation of the fuel and require a lower octane for the same power. The Hemi always needed good gas or it had to have its compression lowered. Wedge engines could run the high compression and use poor gas. Hemi was an engine for idealists and wedge for practical drivers.

Other detractions of the hemi were importantly its weight - it wasn't called the "elephant motor" for nothing. 600 - 700lbs depending on how much aluminum it had. Big cars of the era could handle the weight.

Then came Chevy. Attempting to do the impossible GM engineers attempted to get a motor with the mechanical octane of the wedge and gas flow (volumetric efficiency) of the hemi. The big chevy rat motor was born - because it resembled the valve layout of the hemi it was given the monkier of "porcupine engine". This interesting design compromise is around today as the Merc 454, Merc 502 and Merc Racing 500, and 525. An engine with a foot in both worlds "racing" and "stock."

When it came to nuclear weapons and racing, however, hemi was definately still way ahead of the game.

Yah, four valves per cylinder in a hemi give you pent roof chamber but its still the same animal. My little Chrysler 300M has it and so do most of your overhead cam twin valve automotive car engines - but it is definately still the hemi. To quote Chrysler "How does a hemi make its power? - Engineers will tell you about volumetric efficiency and thermal dynamics but don't you believe it - Its got to be Voodoo baby!"

handfulz28
07-03-2011, 05:19 AM
if he is refering to the newer 5.7 hemi then contact ilmore,,i herd they were going to use tthat motor the v8 version..

Ilmor is using GM LSx engines to supply Mastercraft.

silverghost
07-03-2011, 08:06 AM
The aluminum crate Hemi looks very cool.
But I suspect that as it is supplied the electronic fuel injection system might have problem issues in converting it to boat marine engine use ?

Put an aluminum intake & carb on it and it might be an easy swap if the cam will work in a marine application without reverting exhaust cooling water.

You can't beat the light weight & also the "Cool Factor" .

BUIZILLA
07-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Ilmor is using GM LSx engines to supply Mastercraft. i'm very surprised the performance boat industry hasn't grasped the LS platform more robustly... you just can't break those engines..

mattyboy
07-03-2011, 10:08 AM
all the v8 chryslers were hydr. the 6 and 4 cyl were mechanical

Carl C
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Toyota had a hemi 4 banger in the 70s.

silverghost
07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Toyota had a hemi 4 banger in the 70s.

The big old Chrysler MOPAR 426 Hemi V-8s are the only "REAL" HEMI engines in my opinion.

All the rest are just followers.

Toyota 4 banger ?
Ahhh~~Come On ?

gcarter
07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
22R....I had a bunch of them over a period of years.
Chain driven SOHC.

zelatore
07-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Toyota....Chrysler.... <yawn>

I'm an Alfa guy. We've done the hemi thing.

I'm pretty sure Alfa's first hemi was in the 'teens for grand prix racing. Granted, the ones I spent time on were from the 50's-90's, mostly the classic 1300-1600-1750-2000 4 motors and the 2.5-3.0 V6s.

Brad, with your sense of history I'm a little disapointed in you! You should know Chrysler's real accoplishment with the Hemi was it's marketing!

And, fwiw, Alfa wasn't the first to use the Hemi. I think it might have been Peugot, but I'm not sure. That would have been shortly after the turn of the century. A tad earlier than the Mopar boys I think.

glashole
07-04-2011, 09:24 AM
if you want a dodge motor why not just quit the BS and go right to the V10

silverghost
07-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Toyota....Chrysler.... <yawn>
Brad, with your sense of history I'm a little disapointed in you! You should know Chrysler's real accoplishment with the Hemi was it's marketing!

I could not agree more~
BUT~
When you ask most folks about a "Hemi" they think of the old 426 MOPAR
It is an icon~
Despite the fact that this cylinder head design had been around for many decades long before this famous MOPAR 426 engine.

f_inscreenname
07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Chrysler in a boat….all I can say is run away as fast as you can.
I did Chrysler for years in my boat. Not knocking their stuff. For the most part it’s all good but……. The cost and availability will kill you. ie, I did Hi Tek exhaust. Cost about 2800 by the time you add in shipping and such. About a month to get depending on when the boat is coming. Have an issue (mine after 2 years sprung a leak on the outside) you have to send it back on your dime. 6 years ago it was about 400 bucks and took 2 months before I got them back.
Everything cost more. If an intake cost 200 for a BBC it will cost 280 for a Chrysler and that’s if its not on back order forever.
If you have the bank and patients then what the hell but there is a reason that the mopar is sitting in the corner of the garage and I have a BBC in the boat.

Craig S
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
They ain't nothing like a Hemi when you open the hood/hatch...
That engine and the Boss 9 have a real presence.

I think all 426 Hemis were solid lifter until '70.

Early Coronados came with 354 Gen 1 Hemis. with 2-4bbls. Never seen a 392 marinized (maybe a drag boat, but...). Lots of old Matthews cruisers have the 354s also - I believe with 1-4bbl.

silverghost
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
In my uncle's old Century Coronado the 426 Hemi replaced the earlier older generation 1 Hemi that had rusted-out.
It also had two four barrel carbs.
He owned this gullwing style hardtop boat until 1974 when it then leaked so bad it needed an entire new batten seam bottom.

In a lifetime of boating, and poking around boats in South Jersey boatyards I have only seen few Hemi engines in boats.
You can count them on less than one hand.

I have seen far more Cal Connell Crusaider Cadillac V-8 s.
Several were in Chris~Craft Cobras & Capris.

Craig S
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
In the '55-'60 Coronados, the Cal Connell Cadillacs were rated for more horsepower, but the Hemis were...Hemis with all the presence that comes with the name. I believe the 331s were in the '55 and 56, then the '57-'60 were available with the 354s.

pipnit
07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
They ain't nothing like a Hemi when you open the hood/hatch...
That engine and the Boss 9 have a real presence.

I think all 426 Hemis were solid lifter until '70.

Early Coronados came with 354 Gen 1 Hemis. with 2-4bbls. Never seen a 392 marinized (maybe a drag boat, but...). Lots of old Matthews cruisers have the 354s also - I believe with 1-4bbl.

Yeah, my GodFather had a 42' '57 Matthews with the semi-hemi's in it. I loved that boat, great lines! He wound up selling it to another friend who went DEEP in the shed with a restoration. If anyone is interested in Matthews, you gotta check out KEEPER, it's a KEEPER!

http://matthewsboat.com/default.aspx

Ghost
07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, my GodFather had a 42' '57 Matthews with the semi-hemi's in it. I loved that boat, great lines! He wound up selling it to another friend who went DEEP in the shed with a restoration. If anyone is interested in Matthews, you gotta check out KEEPER, it's a KEEPER!

http://matthewsboat.com/default.aspx

When I saw the first pic I thought "I know this boat." Sure enough, I read through the resto site and that's it, right in my home boatyard.

Gorgeous. </hijack>

FISHIN SUCKS
07-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Oh and don't tell me "can't" be done! Anything can be done I do "can't" all thge time....

Cheers

Joe
I am with ya! 'Can't' people cost me money all the time because I've now been challenged to show them it 'Can' be done. Like a customer of mine out in Reno, NV, once told me, I built a Ford circle jerk car because everyone said ya can't win with a Ford (he had always been a Chevy guy). While I am a bowtie guy, he did show them you can win with a Ford. Good luck in your endeavor Joe,

tom

pipnit
07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
When I saw the first pic I thought "I know this boat." Sure enough, I read through the resto site and that's it, right in my home boatyard.

Gorgeous. </hijack>

Ha, too cool! Yeah, my Godfather always maintained that boat pretty darn well but Peter has taken it to the next level, and in salt water to boot! If you ever bump in to him, you can let him know that you chat with a guy from Michigan City Indiana who has a donzi, he'll know who you're talking about. No mistaking Peter, tall, skinny and totally bald. He's done an amazing job on that boat, I've always really loved the lines on that one and enjoyed cruising on it all over the Great Lakes.

Ghost
07-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Ha, too cool! Yeah, my Godfather always maintained that boat pretty darn well but Peter has taken it to the next level, and in salt water to boot! If you ever bump in to him, you can let him know that you chat with a guy from Michigan City Indiana who has a donzi, he'll know who you're talking about. No mistaking Peter, tall, skinny and totally bald. He's done an amazing job on that boat, I've always really loved the lines on that one and enjoyed cruising on it all over the Great Lakes.

Cool, I will keep my eyes peeled. I'm not sure if the boat is still at my home yard, but it was definitely there for some of the work. I need to go scope out the slips a little more closely, but I *think* from my skim of the restoration blog site that it has since moved up to Baltimore.

Regards,

Mike

Jraysray
07-21-2011, 09:30 AM
found a article in speedboat jan '08. Velocity vr1 powered by a 572 cu.in 700 h.p. Motor built to steve stepp's specifications. Boat ran 100.2 mph @ 5250 rpm. "high life

rip.

murfman
07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
If you are having an engine built, you may want to look into a World Products Aluminum block, besides the weight advantage, they are cast with a "Dual Pattern" bell housing flange, the stock Mopar Hemi B/RB pattern and a Chevy pattern as well, meaning the stock Mercruiser bell will bolt up. Connecting the crank to the outdrive may still be an issue, but at least it is closer.

murfman
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Link:
http://www.worldcastings.com/products/426h-aluminum-block.html

Mondolioni
09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]<br>Obviously I don't get on here enough to check the responses. Holy **** guys! I'm overwelmed by all the great ideas, help, and responses. Believe me I am doing my homework on this. There is some very impressive historical info on here and some good engineering tips. Don't get me wrong Shea I like the motor that's in their now and actually it's running great now that I ironed out some of the bugs with the cooling, and found a couple broken plugs. Rev limiter went too. Anyway it's really a passion thing for me. I have that Mopar Hemi truck you saw that I haul it around with and I wanted to do up a Mopar tandem boat and truck combo and do it all up in Mopar blue but leave the M that on the boat for now. In doing my homework I have been blow away by some of the perf stats on crate hemis and like some the great info provided here, they are ideal for marine applications. Now what I'm running into is drive compatability, I even went so far as to cotact Mercruiser to find out what the Black Hawk is rated for and to my surprise it's only rated at 450 hp, acording to you I'm pushing 500hp now. So when I was trying to match up a drive at Merc Racing the 800 hp capable Alpha and Bravo's were lsiting at $37,000 f ing dollars US! Not! Need to find a more finacially compatible drive to meet that hp be it used or otherwise. I don't pay list for anything. Now again to my surprise I found a world renowned Crate Hemi builder right in my own back yard. When I spoke to him on the phone and checked out his website I was surprised to know he has built motors for people across the globe litterally. Check this guy out at <a href="mailto:forhemisonly@hughes.net">forhemisonly@hughes.net</a> he told me he has done a number (yes a number) of these for&nbsp;marine applications. Wish he had pics of that so I knew he wasn't blowing smoke up my ass. So now I'm back to designing adapter plates for the exhaust if possible and bell housing adapter to be machined. I have a machine shop as a tenant in my building who does allot of work for me. I myself am originally a tollmaker by trade so pls people don't tell me anything can't be done, miracles just take longer.... 20 years in automotive working on major programs for the big 3 and the next 3....enough said...<br>What I really need is CAD data to check out what the compatability of these parts looks like. I'm pretty handy with CAD. If it's too far out of the realm of possibility then I may have to look at custom exhaust on recomendation from some of the great responses I've got on here. Finally to answer the question of why not go with the V-10 rather then the Hemi? Well 2 reasons really - first off the Hemi is an icon of of Mopar for all those enthusiasts like myself and I just gotta have a Hemi just like my truck. Secondly - the guy that builds the Hemis here as you will see when you check his site bsaically starts the party out at around 700 hp for his base line offering going all the way up to 1200hp. That'll do for me considering I am looking in the 700 - 800hp range. Also I shudder to think what a Mopar branded crate V-10 would go for....<br>So in closing this is a project to be sure, a logn term project at best, but with all of your help I am putting the pcs together to close in on the finished product sooner or later. When I do I will splash it on the site and at the rallies and get togethers. Oh ya and I'll be looking for top billing on the Motor pics thread!!! Anway I really aprrecite the overwelming response by you guys on here. And remember "for those of who say it can't be done please step out of the way for those of us who are already doing it" Walt Disney....<br><br>Cheers <br><br>Joe

silverghost
09-02-2011, 06:16 PM
In the 1970s-early 80s Chrysler actually partnered with Volvo to offer a re-badged Volvo outdrve under the Chrysler name.
They had marine outdrive bellhousings that fit all Chrysler engines.
Perhapps you can find an old unit on ebay or at a marina, or marina parts scrap yard pile.

Glenwood Marine parts/Glen-L sells various aluminum marine bellhousings & adaptors for various Chrysler V-8 marine engines & applications.

New Old Stock Hemi Chrysler marine manifolds are very hard to find.
Once in a while they do pop- for sale on ebay. Most are old log style manifolds.

Do a google search for Glenwood marine or Glen-L designs to view what belhousings & adaptors they may have for your application.

Good Luck with your Hemi marine engine project!

younger
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Stumbled on this thread. If Shea's BH rig is not unique enough and feel the need to repower with a Hemi only way to go is World Products 426 aluminum block, 142lbs. Can easily run 4.5" bore and swing 4.75" stroke. The BH drive will handle more power then 450. If you run bravo xr strait cut gears and Max Machine Worx shafts this drive is very strong. Way more case material then the bravo xr and runs a steel tower around the vert. shaft to help support bearings and gears. If you feel that the BH is not enough, then stay surface drive and go with an Arenson. With the rocker built into your hull it would be a crime to get away from the surface drive set-up. I love different.

MOP
12-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Kinda Glad this thread popped back up! As you all know I now being kinda of retired have gone to work with a buddy of many years with a major boat parts house, the best part of this union is I get to see so many of my old customers. Stan a VERY old (probably near as old as I am) stopped by having just discovered our location, I asked about his now ancient 318. Mind you I serviced this relict back in the early 80's, it now has 2200 hours on it in his Mako, I told him he was getting lazy it should have 35/4000 hours on it. Never ever discount the Chrysler engines they made ALL others look some weak! Most all of you are slim on knowledge of how well they stood up, silly as it sounds eventhe tiny 215 Buick GM block was one of the few runners up! I can hear the GM SB/BB guys damn near puking!!!!!!!!!!! That is only because you were not around long enough to be witness to what really went on in the marine field!

This new Chrysler hemi will come into fashion and spook many GM fans me included maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!

With very little massaging there quite a bit more HP with -0- parts change!

Open minds lead to some interesting results!

MOP

silverghost
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
MOP~

I agree with you here on the Chrysler marine engines.
They had a super reputation especially in straight inboard applications.
I remember the old flathead 40s-50s inline sixes, the Crown & Ace engines that competed with Chris~Craft branded Hercules engines.
Then the early Chrysler Hemi V-8 engines along with the later 318, 383, & 440 V-8 engines.
Chrysler inboards were all over the place in new boats in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. They also had a line of outboards & I/Os
All of a sudden in the late 70s-early 80s Chrysler announced that they were leaving the marine engine business and selling out .
We could never understand Chrysler's thinking here ???
Their engines were of much higher quality than Crusader & Mercruiser, OMC etc.
Very long lasting & almost bullet-proof.

I think Chrysler made a BIG marketing mistake here.

Also~
The parts outfit you now work for are super nice guys~~~
They give
Super Service also !

glashole
12-22-2011, 06:48 AM
i agree with the arneson surface drive rather than a regular drive IF that one you have breaks

in my opinion put as much power into that blackhawk drive as you want, drive it reasonably (watch when jumping and gradually get it on and off plane)

that drive has all the beefed up gears etc to handle more HP than normal and you will prob be fine

if it does break then go arneson

and put some spaces in your posts to make it easier to read for those of us who like to drink and read